Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun moderator - real or movie magic??

Options
  • 05-02-2008 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

If anyone's seen No Country for Old Men (class film), they'll have seen the moderated 12g semi that the bad guy uses. Now I know Hollywood will always make a silenced gun quieter than it actually is and often makes up their own equipment, but can you actually get a moderator for a scattergun and if so, would it be of any use?
    (I don't have a shotgun by the way, just interested in the physics of such a contraption)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

It's been years, but I remember seeing an ad for some type of fitting to a shotgun, involved heavy paper of some sort in the barrel as I recall. (Don't shoot the messenger lads, haven't a clue myself, just something I seem to remember, and it's been years) The ad claimed it took a lot of pop out of it, but then again, it would. So no idea really, but someone else might have an idea what I'm talking about or something to report about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭dimebag249

You most certainly can get moderated shotguns. Google hushpower mossberg and you'll turn up a few examples. They're usually .410 though, don't know about 12g.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You can get 12g too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Mellor wrote: »
    You can get 12g too

Yep good article in sporting gun about shooting pigeons with a berretta auto and moderated 12 g barrell. You have to by the barrell/mod arrangement.

http://www.bigginhill.co.uk/hush.htm

http://www.saddleryandgunroom.co.uk/hushpower.htm

Thinking on getting one for vermin:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭pestshooter7

Yep its seems popular in england.
    Not very practicle as to take full effect, you have to use subsonic ammo!!
    Which translates into 2 foot extra leed on a crossing bird at 40 Yrds going 35MPH!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

Theres an article in the Nov '07 issue of Sporting Gun with a guy using a Beretta Teknys with a Hushpower sound moderator on it, best bag of 380 pigeons on a single day....not bad going at that!!! Altought i don't think that you could use it on pigeon here, with them having a season and that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Mac Tire wrote: »
    Theres an article in the Nov '07 issue of Sporting Gun with a guy using a Beretta Teknys with a Hushpower sound moderator on it, best bag of 380 pigeons on a single day....not bad going at that!!! Altought i don't think that you could use it on pigeon here, with them having a season and that...

I know it's off topic but I'm reminded of the one and only time about 20 years ago when I shot over 100 pigeons on one hot August Saturday afternoon.

One of the most stupid things I ever did!

I had to carry them and all the gear about a quarter mile to the car and then, when they cooled (and I did) to breast, bag and freeze them all by myself and then clean up while everyone else in the gun club went to the pub:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revan23

i saw somewhere years ago a fully moderated shotgun, not like an attachement (the entire lenght of the barrel was one big moderator) sort of like the one in the links above. not sure how quiet they are tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Pedersoli used to make a single barrel with a full moderator from muzzle crown to hinge pin!

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Forgot to say in the last comment, if you check out the new isssue of sporting gun march 08. You will see a two page spread on Mossberg Hushpower (fully moderated) pump action. Guy takes 521 rabbits in one lamping session..:D

Advertisement