Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moniterd Alarm Needed For Licence ?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

my shortist was 7weeks longest 11months,but I can now see monitored alarms been a precondition (centrefire)thats what my cpo
    is saying

My brother got a 40 S&W pistol licence in 7 days.

Oh ya, monitoered alarm will be/is a definate pre-condition. Thank God I've mine in and a safe too all passed by CPO for my last application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

So self monitoring/GSM auto dialers are out of the question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

monitoered alarm will be/is a definate pre-condition

For what? Have you seen this in writing or is it something you have heard? Where is this information comming from?

I am not saying you are incorrect here, I am just wondering if this is fact or rumour. I have heard similar things, but I also heard alot of speculation about .223 s etc. that proved to be unfounded.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    So self monitoring/GSM auto dialers are out of the question?

depends on super I'd say

fishdog wrote: »
    For what? Have you seen this in writing or is it something you have heard? Where is this information comming from?

I am not saying you are incorrect here, I am just wondering if this is fact or rumour. I have heard similar things, but I also heard alot of speculation about .223 s etc. that proved to be unfounded.

As far as I can see all supers are looking for monitored alarms now in certain circumstances. They are using the requirements for proper security argument. They only seem to be looking for a monitored alarm for pistols and fullbore rifles though at this stage.

I recently applied for a 6.5x55 and had to have a monitoered alarm or the super wouldn't even consider the application. Doubt a court case would be sucessful without one either (from what I've heard).

Reading the thread about the restricted list and the 223 not being restricted is maybe not the end of the problems licensing them though. Time will tell.

My super won't licence a 223 but will grant a 204 ruger or a 220 swift. A judge might consider he's not being unreasonable ?

• Advertisement

As far as I can see all supers are looking for monitored alarms now in certain circumstances

I know for a fact this is not true at the moment for all supers (as in monitored by a monitoring station).

What I am wondering is will this change in the future for restricted firearms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭meathshooter

My super won't licence a 223 but will grant a 204 ruger or a 220 swift. A judge might consider he's not being unreasonable ?[/QUOTE]

Only thing NOW it is stated in law that 233 in not a restricted round ,and that would be the personal view of the super not granting cert and not the letter of law which the super has to fallow

fishdog,

Where did I say monitored by a monitoring station was all that was acceptable ?

Try reading the sentence you've quoted and the other two in the paragraph together and get the whole point I'm trying to make.

Read and comprehend what i actually said before you insinuate that I said something else so you can prove me wrong :mad:

Only thing NOW it is stated in law that 233 in not a restricted round ,and that would be the personal view of the super not granting cert and not the letter of law which the super has to fallow

Agreed.

What I am getting at is that super will offer an alternative calibre e.g. 204 ruger, a judge may not grant a 223 if the super is willing to grant a 204 Ruger. I am only looking at a worst case scenario and/or possibility.

I have had both calibres and 204 Ruger imo is superior to the 223 as a calibre.

The only difference is you can buy cheaper ammo for 223, which is why most people want it. Would this swing it with the judge as a valid reason for a 223 over a 204 ruger ?

fishdog wrote: »
    What I am wondering is will this change in the future for restricted firearms.

I'd say you might be right.

• Advertisement

Read and comprehend what i actually said before you insinuate that I said something else so you can prove me wrong

Sorry, I read your post wrong!

fishdog,

Accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Can I leave a link to the BASC website in the UK.

http://www.basc.org.uk/content/certificate_application_f

Under the section relating to Firearms guidance, there is a very useful document relating to fire arm security and one on applying the law. I used this document to secure my firearms. http://police.homeoffice.gov.uk/news-and-publications/publication/operational-policing/firearms-handbook.pdf?view=Binary
    I did it without being told to do it. I took the approach that I have a considerable investment in my hobbies and I also have a moral duty to protect them from being stolen.

I also laugh to think that if somebody was to come to my house and force the issue, I would hand them over. (wife and kids etc)

These security standards may not be produced in Ireland but they could very well be argued that they are best practice an absence of anything else that exists. The key word here is exists the UK is not America they are fairly conservative with regards to security of firearms. In fact you get visited as part of your application I would argue they are appropriate level of security.

It looks to me from reading the threads and taking part that this will be the next new (cabinets debates) will the restricted un restricted debate affect I don't think so. I am strongly of the opinion that certain members take the stance make life as awkward as possible to put people off applying.

It maybe time to speak to your associations, explain what is being looked for, have your homework done, look for response times etc... from alarm companies garda because you have two choices accept the Supers terms and conditions or argue the point

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

Sleep sound now y'all!

http://www.garda.ie/othdocs.html (Look for Garda Intruder Alarm Policy.doc)

Very interesting.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

This has been standard Garda policy for a number of years. Anyone getting a monitored alarm installed by a registered installer fills out a request form for a URN. The installer usually provides a copy of this document (as per the website link) and it is pointed out that a number of false alarm activations will result in withdrawal of Garda response. Only a registered monitoring station can call out the Gardaí as a result of alarm activation. Obviously though, you could make a 999 call if you were monitoring your own alarm and could verify that a robbery was in progress or had taken place.

Commercial premises are treated differently to private dwellings in that they need secondary verification.

Commercial premises are treated differently to private dwellings in that they need secondary verification.[/QUOTE]
    This is what I got for my house,the cpo stated that it would greatly help in my cert being issued(fill in the blanks yourself)and supers are looking for moniterd alarm, allready had gsm dialler,I think
    he was right cause I got the cert also got URN which means AFAIK I will
    get priority

A couple of questions for guys who had a gsm dialler and went to a monitored system.

1. Is it a complete new system or is it a case of changing the control box in other words can you up grade what you have

2. Since the dialler system dialls my neighbour and I could I not just get a monitoring station as a number it dials.??

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Cavan Shooter, my intruder alarm system was quite old but all I required was a change of panel with-in my control box and I was up and running. I think the panel cost was approx 120 Euro and my monitoring service is approx 180 Euro per year.

Thats not the end of the world then, In fact very reasonably. Who was the company

• Advertisement

A couple of questions for guys who had a gsm dialler and went to a monitored system.

1. Is it a complete new system or is it a case of changing the control box in other words can you up grade what you have

2. Since the dialler system dialls my neighbour and I could I not just get a monitoring station as a number it dials.??

just added a digi to the panel cost 180euro and 190 for the monitoring station,monitoring station rings me and my neighbour aswell, and the guards,the digi communicates with the monitoring station computer to computer so you cant put your dialler to ring monitoring station AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Thats not the end of the world then, In fact very reasonably. Who was the company

My alarm guy lives and works mainly in the Dublin area, if you want his details, pm me.

I reckon that any registered Intruder Alarm guy can do it for you, like you say, "it's not the end of the world", and not as expensive as some think.

Suggest a quick look in the Golden Pages or local telephone directory may help find a local and registered Alarm guy..................

Advertisement