Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should this be tolerated?

Options
  • 05-02-2008 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I don't have a link for this but I have heard from several Americans and also from my cousin who lives in New York that there are ads on tv for the presedential elections in the States that basically consist of your "average joe" being asked who they're voting for etc.

One or two of these scenes apparently depict some people saying something to the effect of "Yeah I like Hillary and all but I just don't want a woman with her finger on the button"......

Now, I was thinking, why is this allowed to be shown on tv? Could you imagine if they showed some randomers saying "Yeah Obama's a good guy but I just don't want a black guy with his finger on the button". It would never be aired.

Are people more relaxed with regard to sexual discrimination than with racial discrimination? If so, why?

Why is it ok for women to be made fools of on tv but yet somehow taboo to do the same with regard to race? Seems crazy to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

LadyJ wrote: »
    Why is it ok for women to be made fools of on tv but yet somehow taboo to do the same with regard to race? Seems crazy to me.
    Three irrational days a month.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Bucket of tar for Ibid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Ibid wrote: »
    Three irrational days a month.

:rolleyes: My period certainly doesn't make me irrational. Yes sadly people are more relaxed, sexism is far more acceptable in society. After all we still live in a patriarchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

Ok, so I don't have a link for this...

Well find one, I'd like to see that ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Well women feel its okay to constantly talk down to men so its really 50 50. Every single song on the radio nowadays seems to be sung by women, complaining about men, boasting about how men ain't "good" enough for them and all sorts of other assorted wacky ramblings. Why is this sort of **** allowed to be played on the radio??? Is that sexism as well, or does the word sexism not exist when it comes to what women have to say about men??

Don't get me wrong, I have great respect for women, but its about time they got a taste of their own medicine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

I'm more talking about the idea that racism is more unacceptable than sexist attitudes. Not just that sexism is unacceptable.

Because no song is ever about putting women down..

DarkJager wrote: »
    Well women feel its okay to constantly talk down to men so its really 50 50. Every single song on the radio nowadays seems to be sung by women, complaining about men, boasting about how men ain't "good" enough for them and all sorts of other assorted wacky ramblings. Why is this sort of **** allowed to be played on the radio??? Is that sexism as well, or does the word sexism not exist when it comes to what women have to say about men??

Don't get me wrong, I have great respect for women, but its about time they got a taste of their own medicine.

I don't believe that men should be discriminated against either but what you just said was ridiculous. Men are still far more powerful in society and have been discriminating against women for centuries. How do women deserve their own medicine? Surely if you were to take that kind of mentality it would be the other way around?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

No song you hear on the radio will ever put women down because as usual, every female in the country would get her Ann Summers panties in a fcuking twist and complain about it.

LadyJ: Looking at your arguement from that perspective, I can see your point in a way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Aran61

I think American culture is more male dominated which is ok, I don't have a problem with men being in control as long as they treat women right, provide for them and so on. But I don't think it's right that the president should be a woman. It's a really really powerful job. It's too much responsibility for one woman. Women have different brains to men's which makes them better at some things. Politics isn't one of them. So really they should leave it to the men who have more experience in these things. Also it leaves more time for the important things in life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Women probably don't make those ads. I don't agree with them, I think they make us look like smug assholes.

No song you hear on the radio will ever put women down because as usual, every female in the country would get her Ann Summers panties in a fcuking twist and complain about it.

LadyJ: Looking at your arguement from that perspective, I can see your point in a way.

And what about the music videos that come with these songs, depicting half naked women, do you not think that's demeaning?

So you've never listened to rap then have you?
    Jesus whats got you so antsy today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It's probably also due to the fact that so many women wouldn't have a problem with discrimination against women - I've no doubt there is a sizeable number of American women who don't want a woman as their president.

Whereas, while some black people probably have similar feelings of unworthiness, I doubt it's anything like that experienced by females because of their gender.

Aran61 wrote: »
    I think American culture is more male dominated which is ok, I don't have a problem with men being in control as long as they treat women right, provide for them and so on. But I don't think it's right that the president should be a woman. It's a really really powerful job. It's too much responsibility for one woman. Women have different brains to men's which makes them better at some things. Politics isn't one of them. So really they should leave it to the men who have more experience in these things. Also it leaves more time for the important things in life.

I hope you are a troll :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

GinnyJo wrote: »
    Bucket of tar for Ibid.
    Encouraging violence is never a reasonable answer, especially when somebody is proposing a reason rather than advocating it.
    :rolleyes: My period certainly doesn't make me irrational.
    I never said it did. But it's scientific FACT that if affects some people.
    Yes sadly people are more relaxed, sexism is far more acceptable in society. After all we still live in a patriarchy.
    Our President is a woman.
    Well women feel its okay to constantly talk down to men so its really 50 50.... Is that sexism as well, or does the word sexism not exist when it comes to what women have to say about men??
    Too true, Brother DarkJager. Just as sexism is more acceptable than racism, which in turn is more acceptable than rape, women being sexist about beer-bellied men is far more acceptable than men being sexist about lard-filled ladies in this "patriarchal society" of ours. I use rape in the previous sentence to point out that there are levels of unacceptability - and also to point that a man cannot be "raped" under our current laws, in this "patriarchal society".
    I'm more talking about the idea that racism is more unacceptable than sexist attitudes. Not just that sexism is unacceptable.
    I'm not advocating it but rather proposing it as a reason: there is scientific evidence that gender makes a bigger impact on decision-making ability etc. than race. If you think this is a controversial statement, consider the converse: That race has a bigger impact on decision-making ability than gender. Which sounds more perverse to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Aran61

I hope you are a troll :rolleyes:

No! Most of my friends would feel the same way too.

Dudess wrote: »
    It's probably also due to the fact that so many women wouldn't have a problem with discrimination against women - I've no doubt there is a sizeable number of American women who don't want a woman as their president.

Whereas, while some black people probably have similar feelings of unworthiness, I doubt it's anything like that experienced by females because of their gender.

This is true. Oprah is backing Obama :) (but not because he is black, because he is brilliant)

Also, it's much more popular to shout racist, than sexist today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I guess Hillary is 'lucky' she's not black as well then :/

Our President is a woman.

Yes, and what does she do? Not much to do with the running of a country.

• Advertisement

No! Most of my friends would feel the same way too.

Oh dear lord! Now I'm depressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

mccainwhitedude.JPG

Encouraging violence is never a reasonable answer, especially when somebody is proposing a reason rather than advocating it.

I never said it did. But it's scientific FACT that if affects some people.
    Bless, encouraging violence:rolleyes:

As a scientist I'd love to see the FACT you are linking to there, all that links to is your comment on some research that maybe be undergoing, somewhere, at sometime. You can't declare something a scientific fact unless you have the papers and publications to back up the research and findings, any scientist knows that.

Like what? Giving lots of blowjobs to please men? You were ranting on about your head-giving skills the other day. I presume you enjoy giving head simply because it means pleasing men...?

Dudess

for you santiy I suggest at you subscribe to these two blogs.

http://feministing.com/
    http://thecurvature.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Dudess wrote: »
    Like what? Giving lots of blowjobs to please men? You were ranting on about your head-giving skills the other day. I presume you enjoy giving head simply because it means pleasing men...?

In fairness, the only reason for giving head is to please the other person, be they male or female.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

*gets popcorn*

Why we need feminism ?

so that we don't see things like this
    Men presidents only

I think that having a woman president would be a bad idea for our country. Women are not meant to rule countries and be in charge. They are meant to make decisions but not confirm them.

Our president deals with some countries that don't respect or allow women in leadership positions. I wonder if the United States would have more terrorist attacks because we would be seen as weak with a woman leader. I agree that women can do many things, but leave the ruling of the countries to the men.

BRITTANY BAYLES, 13, Kennewick

Lady J the whole compagin has been totally rife with stuff like that, the feministing blog has been tracking the media's sexim and double standards in the election of the democratic canidate campagain.

An you are right really we should be over this after 90 years of women having the vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

I'm not advocating it but rather proposing it as a reason: there is scientific evidence that gender makes a bigger impact on decision-making ability etc. than race. If you think this is a controversial statement, consider the converse: That race has a bigger impact on decision-making ability than gender. Which sounds more perverse to you?

Surely a lot of things affect decision-making ability regardless of gender though?

I mean clearly women think in a different way to men but culture etc. can also change your way of thinking.

I do see what you're getting at though.

• Advertisement

Wreck wrote: »
    In fairness, the only reason for giving head is to please the other person, be they male or female.
    Sadly a lot of girls believe this and they still go ahead and do it. It's absolutely not true. Giving head can be highly pleasurable for the giver as well as the receiver.

Advertisement