Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to see the NB and SB temperatures on a 680i?

Options
  • 05-02-2008 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Having some issues with overclocking at the moment and just wondering if its possible to monitor the NB (SPP) and SB (MCP) temps when using a 680i? I use everest to monitor temps and can't see any options for it?

Anyone know of a way of viewing their temperatures from within Vista?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

in everest, isnt the MCP temperature ur northbridge temp?... i jus replaced/upgraded my north n south heatsinks, n the mcp went from 46 to 30 degrees. its a 680i lt i have by the way.

i was meanin to post jus about this same topic

EDIT: jus been playin around with coverin the NB n SB heatsinks to let them heat up to see any changes, n for me the "motherboard" temp is my SB, n the "MCP" is NB

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

EDIT: jus been playin around with coverin the NB n SB heatsinks to let them heat up to see any changes, n for me the "motherboard" temp is my SB, n the "MCP" is NB

I'm pretty confident the MCP is the SB and the SPP is the NB, not the other way around. I hadn't noticed the MCP temp in everest before. What version of everest are you using?

everest ultimate trial v4.20

for me tho, if i put a lil bag over the NB, the MCP goes up

everest ultimate trial v4.20

for me tho, if i put a lil bag over the NB, the MCP goes up

wait, where do you think the NB is positioned on the 680i?

EDIT: actually, scrap that.

i think ur right, the mcp might be the southbridge, but then wats the "motherboard" reading telling me?...is that jus a sensor on the board sumwhere?...its 22c but rose by like 15 when i covered the SB??

EDIT EDIT: yeah, MCP is defo the SB....no northbridge monitoring then

EDIT EDIT EDIT; threw on the latest everest beta, dnt see the SPP in that either

• Advertisement

yeah thats where the north bridge is located, but its called the SPP, not the MCP.

But crap just got the new version of everest which has readouts for the MCP and mine is currenty at 64'c idle :eek:... gonna have to look up and find out what the maximum temperature for the MCP is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

around 50c is allright :) 64c is way over it :eek:

my maximuss becomes unstable at around 45c.

custom cooling ftw,and now you know why people say that board runs hot,why not upgrade to a 780i ?

that seems a bit hot for the mcp, mine is at 30c

jus after puttin these two yokes on from quitepc.com

http://www.quietpc.com/ie-en-eur/products/northbridgecooling/tr-hr-05-sli
    http://www.quietpc.com/ie-en-eur/products/northbridgecooling/tr-hr-05

seem to be doin an unreal job, perfectly silent and they were jus under €25 including vat n delivery. for 25 quid, i taut it was very decent!

OH, and by the way, its room temperature in here and all settings are at default at the moment :P

whats a good low profile cooler for the SB? I'll probably be throwing my second 8800GTX into my main rig once I get a larger monitor so I don't want the cooler to get in the way. Have any new good low profile coolers been released?

not that many good low profile ones nope, thats why i went with the above to bypass my 8800.

dnt u have ur rig watercooled?

and i jus realised that pic in ur sig is Dexter....LEDGE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    yeah thats where the north bridge is located, but its called the SPP, not the MCP.

But crap just got the new version of everest which has readouts for the MCP and mine is currenty at 64'c idle :eek:... gonna have to look up and find out what the maximum temperature for the MCP is.

Try running less voltage through it and replace the tim with Atctic Silver .

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

awhir wrote: »
    now you know why people say that board runs hot,why not upgrade to a 780i ?

The 780 is not any cooler than the 680.

Chosen wrote: »
    The 780 is not any cooler than the 680.

have you seen the heatsink on it :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

awhir wrote: »
    have you seen the heatsink on it :eek:

have to admit its a huge heatsink.

but i think its nicely placed to allow for the larger aftermarket cooler's.

board.jpg
    socket.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

have to admit its a huge heatsink.

but i think its nicely placed to allow for the larger aftermarket cooler's.

board.jpg
    socket.jpg

Heres to hoping that the thermalright 120 ultra extreme fits on it :rolleyes:

Is anybody getting this board? Ill be able to post up temps for the north and southbridge whenever it comes into stock on komplett.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

TR120 extreme fits no probs !

Anti wrote: »
    TR120 extreme fits no probs !

is that your something special? :rolleyes:

Nobody is going to update to a 780i from a 680i its just not worth it with the 790i on the way .

My next upgrade will be 790i mobo +Cellshock ddr3 + Freezone Elite cooler.

yeah i'll be sitting on my 680i for at least the next 6 months. I might maybe upgrade the CPU though. I'll probably be getting a PS3 in the next few months as there are a few games coming out for it that have a delayed (or non-existant) PC release date.

Oh and on a side. I decided to reseat my NB and SB today and while I was at it I reseated my 8800GTX with some AS5. The NB and SB haven't dropped in temps at all :(

also I installed the 8800GTX and forgot to plug back in the fan, I nearly crapped myself when the everest sidebar monitor popped up and showed my 8800GTX at 120'c :eek: I quickly went to pull it out and nearly burnt my finger tips off... luckily with the fan plugged back in i'm idling at around 44'c (crazy the difference that small fan makes) which is 5'c lower than what it was before

release date 790i?

• Advertisement

yeah i'll be sitting on my 680i for at least the next 6 months. I might maybe upgrade the CPU though.

your upgrading a qx6700? lol there isnt much above that apart from the new 45nm chips. but whats the performance jump compared to what you have now

well by upgrade I mean downgrade... lol... I can only clock this chip to 3.4Ghz, whereas people with G0 Q6600 are getting up to 4Ghz+ on air. The unlocked multi of this chip is of no benefit to me as i've found that increasing the multi changes the system strap and negates any overclock I get.

Plus the 680i has support for 45nm chips, but I think its only dual core atm. I'll wait and see if they can get quad core 45nm chips working on this chipset before deciding what CPU to get next.

well by upgrade I mean downgrade... lol... I can only clock this chip to 3.4Ghz, whereas people with G0 Q6600 are getting up to 4Ghz+ on air. The unlocked multi of this chip is of no benefit to me as i've found that increasing the multi changes the system strap and negates any overclock I get.

Plus the 680i has support for 45nm chips, but I think its only dual core atm. I'll wait and see if they can get quad core 45nm chips working on this chipset before deciding what CPU to get next.

let me tell you that seening a q6600 at 4ghz is quite rare,jump over to xs and have a look at the q6600 post and ul see,

Id say go for a new 45nm dual core now they clock like crazy ;)

dazftw wrote: »
    release date 790i?

Some time next month.

Yea its funny ive got this little upgrade planned, already got ram and CPU just need new mobo.. but within 6 months its going be fairly old! So I considered waiting out for the new CPUS Mobo and DDR3(when it gets cheaper) but sure its not like im going get the full potential off overclocking from this new board.... So my new upgrade will be not so new within a week :D

The upgrades never end and were all stuck in a vicious cycle of wasting 1000's every year. :rolleyes:

do you think ddr3 ram will be worth it? id only buy if they sort out the latency issues.

couldnt stand loosing performance on gaming

DDR3 will of course come into its own as speeds increase still further, enabling even higher front-side bus speeds to be achieved. For now though, DDR2 does its job, just fine.

Upgrade now, buy later when its cheaper :p

I think which ever way you look at it theres still going to be something new and better but it doesn't mean what you have now isn't good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Get a 6850 cpu, they clock great, no bother getting mine to 3.8ghz, with better cooling and voltage it would be over 4ghz no bother.

also those temps you mentioned leimrod dont seem that bad for the NB and SB

• Advertisement
Advertisement