Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irish shooters digest

Options
  • 05-02-2008 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭

how many people here read it? i buy it every month but i always find the english mags better, theres way more relevent material in the english ones, i have a subscription to sporting rifle and i find it an excellent read. i suppose its just because the irish mag is mostly full of clay pigeon shooting,sillouette shooting and photos of events and conventions rather than hunting stuff?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Have a subscription to Irish Shooters Digest, I find it a good read, also have subs to Sporting gun and Sporting shooter (class)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭tiny-nioclas

yeah sporting shooter is very good,its got alot less of the "laaa dee daa" toff of english shooting than sporting gun, do you have a link to where i can subscribe online to irish shooters digest by any chance?

no got it out of the magazine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Dshooter

hi,Just writing to see if anyone fells the same as me about how bad the digest has gone.They dont seem to do any rifle or pistol reviews and the mag seems to be 90% shotguns.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Last time I saw figures for it, the breakdown was shotguns 170-odd thousand, rifles 40-odd thousand, pistols less than one thousand. So allmost all shotgun is pretty reflective of the state of shooting in Ireland.

That said, I'd agree with you about the Digest. I know it's the only Irish magazine for target shooting out there, but... well, I don't really think too positively about it anymore, not since it started with the bayonet collections and so forth. I'd rather see an analogue to the Irish Times as an Irish shooting magazine than an analogue of the Daily Star.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Dshooter wrote: »
    hi,Just writing to see if anyone fells the same as me about how bad the digest has gone.They dont seem to do any rifle or pistol reviews and the mag seems to be 90% shotguns.

i sure if you rang eric with a review of you most loved firearm he would love to put into our mag

I know there is lot more shotguns than rifles and pistols in ireland,I was just like to see more reviews on pistols and rifles instead of buying english and american mags.I really think rifle and pistol target shooting will take off in the next few years and would like our irish mag to support the sport by testing out guns and reporting on how they perform.Also post competitions and course's etc......

with out a question ,i do a few reports for eric on clay shooting . if you have something to say on your firearms or sport it could make a interesting read

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

Sparks wrote: »
    but... well, I don't really think too positively about it anymore, not since it started with the bayonet collections and so forth. I'd rather see an analogue to the Irish Times as an Irish shooting magazine than an analogue of the Daily Star.

I seem to have missed the point here, Sparks,.... in relation to Irish Times & Daily Star. What does I'd rather see an analogue to the Irish Times as an Irish shooting magazine than an analogue of the Daily Star. mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭BOG FLY

I would agree that the digest is very poor for articles on rifle, technical articles, target shooting and all the various aspects of rifle and pistol shooting, but it obviusly satisfies some people, especialty for hunting dog owners....maybe it should be called the "doggy digest".

For my shooting education I subscribe to Target sports and shooting sports both very good magazines.
    I gave up on the Digest a few years ago after one issue had 12 pages of the NARGC dinner dance......I did not find this of any help for my poor shooting.

I did hear that the NRAI did submitte articles on their events and travels and even had some articles on building rifles and how to go about it, but I heard that they were never published by the digest.
    The NRAI did have a mag which looked very good and there was talk of them bringing out somthing on a quartly basis.
    Would the various NGB'S who make up the SSAI not get together and produce a mag for its members on a by monthly basis.

• Advertisement

JR,
    What I mean is that the Digest seems to embrace the tabloid over quality articles. While there are one or two good parts (the ICPSA news, some of the hunting stuff, and there was a very good bit on shotgun patterns and chokes and so forth a few months back), the overall tone of the magazine goes nose-first into the toilet with a lot of the rest of it. Cal's column would be the worst offender, but not the sole one, and some of the adverts seem designed to appeal to 13-year-old boys.

Put it this way. Imagine the parents of a junior looking to take up target shooting (of whatever kind). They see this magazine and with no prior contact with the shooting world, they pick it up to see what their kid's getting into. Now, imagine that happening with a copy of Target Sports and with a copy of the Digest, and you tell me which one's going to give the better impression.

It's even worse because I know there are people out there writing really good stuff for the Digest, but I don't see it getting published. The ICPSA, with a few exceptions brought about by winning World Cups (which frankly, is a level of achievement that would have warranted half the magazine for coverage in any sane world), is relegated to the back pages; the NRAI stuff isn't covered at all despite the popularity of the sport; and where are the introductory articles? The interviews with shooters? The calendar section? And it's gotten so bad that two or three years ago at least one association actually decided to cease submitting copy to it because it was doing more PR harm than good to be published in the Digest.

I agree with sparks,It does seem to be going down the road of PR work for friends.Why does nt the mag do monthly reports on how ranges our doing around ireland and upcoming events,and maybe even set up a competition between all clubs because Digest seems to have all the contacts around to do so.I am only sayin all this to try to get the mag to be more interesting,cause i would rather buy irish mags instead than english or american.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 F-ClassWillie

Where can you buy Target sports & Shooting Sports. Are they on sale
    or available here in the ROI. What way do they differ from the Digest as
    it's the only magazine that I buy from time to time. Does Target Sports
    have articles on F-Class? Does it go into any great detail on the various
    subjects it covers & if it does this better why does our Irish Magazines
    not take note and supply what the readers want!

www.6mmbr.com got a text about this site, found it full of great info.
    guess most of you know about it all ready but
    well worth a look if you don't.

F-classwille,I buy both mags that you mentioned in Eason's in the square.
    To the other question no there is no great detail on most things unless your mad into shotguns and no great detail into F-class shooting, just one other thing that I read in the mag was an article that Paul Wood wrote, he said that ,"our Gardai would appear to issue licences for high power centrefire rifles willy-nilly" ,This quote could not be further from the truth as myself and a few other lads I know are having big problems with anything full bore in rifle and pistol so I would like to know were paul wood gets his facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

IPSA are planning to have regular slots in the Digest. Hopefully I'll get to put in articles on the following topics:-
    • Guns review
    • Ancillary equipment reviews (mags, holsters, belts, eye wear, footwear etc)
    • Reports from shooters & RO's who travel around the world to compete.
    • Reports from IPSA sanctioned matches around Ireland
    • Training tips & techniques (physical & mental)
    • Match preparation (or lack of as some of us experienced at last years European championships in France)

Pat.

That was what I thought when I started writing the stuff for the NTSA section of the Digest; and what the ICPSA thought as well, as well as the NRAI. Thing is Pat, so long as the bad stuff stays in there, it's not so much a case of us dragging them up as them dragging us down. Our sport is somewhat unique in that there is such a thing as bad publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Just got the March edition of ISD today and there is a nice 3 page article about practical shooting in it.

Hope we see mre of the same in the future.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

That was what I thought when I started writing the stuff for the NTSA section of the Digest; and what the ICPSA thought as well, as well as the NRAI. Thing is Pat, so long as the bad stuff stays in there, it's not so much a case of us dragging them up as them dragging us down. Our sport is somewhat unique in that there is such a thing as bad publicity.

I take your point Sparks. I buy Shooters Digest most months and mostly I don't find articles of interest to me. It's the first time I've ever submitted an article to any magazine. But we've got to give it a try. I don't plan on submitting articles for the sake of it though. This first article was a broad sweeping introduction of IPSC to the general shooting public. I hope it comes across as such. IPSC is such a new sport to Ireland I think it should be publicised in a shooting magazine. Afterall Shooters Digest is probalby the best know magazine in Ireland. Who knows, in time maybe I'll come to the same conclusion that you've come to. Until then I'll give it a go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

packas wrote: »
    I take your point Sparks. I buy Shooters Digest most months and mostly I don't find articles of interest to me. It's the first time I've ever submitted an article to any magazine. But we've got to give it a try. I don't plan on submitting articles for the sake of it though. This first article was a broad sweeping introduction of IPSC to the general shooting public. I hope it comes across as such. IPSC is such a new sport to Ireland I think it should be publicised in a shooting magazine. Afterall Shooters Digest is probalby the best know magazine in Ireland. Who knows, in time maybe I'll come to the same conclusion that you've come to. Until then I'll give it a go!!

I thought it came across well. Good article man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Great article Pat.

I tend to think the Digest is alright. Agreed it is mostly Shotguns and Gun Dogs but then shooting in Ireland is mostly shotguns and gundogs.

There is always a technical article. Last month it was patterning, this month it's actions.

There is invariably something on a different form of sport. Last month it was Airsoft, this month it is Practical Pistol.

There are occasional range reviews - this month has Lough Bo.

When someone posts an article to the digest but it doesn't get published I'm sure it's just a space issue.

If you have an article and the digest is not going to publish it sure post it as a topic on boards and we can read it.

B'Man

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

I enjoyed your article in the ISG.

Great to see something different in the magazine and good pictures make a change too.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Well done Pat, great article, keep them comin'
    :cool:

Will do. Thanks. If for some reason they don't get published then I'll stick them up on www.ipscireland.org.

By the way I've got a page set up on the website specifically for such "stuff" So if there's any IPSC junkies out there who wants an article on the website please send it on to me. How about some reviews of your guns & gear and why you went with what you have.

I like to read the digest but was very kissed of when last month we had the advertisement special for Ardee Sports. I think they are open to articles being sent in, if I remember they were canvassing for some a while back. Graet Ardee sports are thirty years old but the article was over kill. I have cancelled my reserved status with the local shop on the magazine, Now I flick through it and decide whether to buy or not.

For what it's worth I get sporting shooter and sporting gun every month and again on occassion if an article or review is interesting shooting times etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

My subscription ended with Februarys issue. Subscribed for last 4 years. Won't be renewing it. Airsoft, Ardee and photos of NARGC hierachy eating, probably at my expense, and I paying for magazine to read about it.

NO THANKS :mad:

My subscription ended with Februarys issue. Subscribed for last 4 years. Won't be renewing it. Airsoft, Ardee and photos of NARGC hierachy eating, probably at my expense, and I paying for magazine to read about it.

NO THANKS :mad:

your partly right ,reading about the over dress and over fed is not my thing too.but its no harm to know whats going on .more the likes of paul wood and the likes and less of one man would be good, but the digest has came on leaps and bounds over the last few years.only for it we would be lost .i think more short snipets of information ,like the shooting times would be the way to go .

only for it we would be lost
    Eh? I would have thought that without it we'd be a bit better off, to be honest. Like I've said before, in our sport, there is such a thing as bad publicity and every Super in the country getting to read Cal asking if they've lost it, while posing with his bayonet collection, would be a good example of bad publicity.

Eh? I would have thought that without it we'd be a bit better off, to be honest. Like I've said before, in our sport, there is such a thing as bad publicity and every Super in the country getting to read Cal asking if they've lost it, while posing with his bayonet collection, would be a good example of bad publicity.

less of that man ok .i would reckon there is a room in the park dedicated to the man. may be thats why he moved north .there gain is our loss thank god

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

jwshooter wrote: »
    less of that man ok .i would reckon there is a room in the park dedicated to the man. may be thats why he moved north .there gain is our loss thank god

his articles are usually ok but lately they are getting silly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

his articles are usually ok but lately they are getting silly

I agree that that man seems to be doing a diservice to shooting sports in the republic. I am very sure that say that DOJ and Supers are *** is not a good way to engage in dialog with the same people that issue firearms.

I have a very healthy relationship between my local Gardai. I base this on always being in good spirits when dealing with them.They are only doing there job after all.

Negative articles in ISD can only be read reviewed and documented by the same individuals.
    I find the ISD full of Northern irish material.Fair enough it is sometimes interesting. However we live in the republic. Us as a nation would prefer a mag designed for our shooting skills and situations.

Most guys i know shoot rabbits foxes birds and a few deer. We would like to hear tips on improving our skills at these persuits . Not Negativity at legislation. To improve, one has to be positive !!

Advertisement