Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irish shooters digest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

Now I have to get a look at it :D You're working for digest really? :P

If I could i'd scan it for you but easons still has my copy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I am a shooting magazine fan, I even have a little ritual which involves the first saturday of the month a six pack, me and my magazines. I always buy Irish shooters Digest, Sporting Gun, Sporting Shooter and Target sports or something like that.

Now I read the English mags cover to cover maybe twice if its a long month:D, I even save them up for the recipes or interesting bits as for ISD I'm normally finished with it in 30 minutes.

I dont know why I buy ISD but I do.....Yes the articles aren't great but until a better substitute comes along!!!!. Anyway its good to see the rants CAI/NARGC. I have always had the approach that if you think you can offer better give it ago. A while ago they asked if anybody had an interest in submitting articles, I say give it a go, you'll never know it could get published.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

That's kindof the problem cs - you submit an article on (say) ISSF rifle shooting and you're stuck in there side-by-side with the sort of thing that sets the Supers' teeth on edge. Not great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

there is a certain writer that has been winding the DOJ up for a long time now he has caused a lot of harm .

Is a magazine not an avenue of getting accross a concern, point of view etc. Its then down to the shooter to form opinion? from the information gleamed

as we have seen recently at least the issues are brought to light for all to form an opinion on. I found the latest article on ranges very interesting particulalry the Superintendents views. I do think that on occassion stories are written to fill pages.

• Advertisement

Is a magazine not an avenue of getting accross a concern, point of view etc
    Yes, but arguably just one person's point of view, the editors.
    as we have seen recently at least the issues are brought to light for all to form an opinion on
    Not really. I lost track a long while back of the inaccuracies and outright errors in various articles in the Digest on everything from firearms legislation to administrative structures, right down to actual shooting itself (you do not need to adjust your sights to account for Coriolis forces). You can't form a valid opinion from bad data.

Aaaaagh, I cant even argue that one,......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

macnas wrote: »
    Had a look at the March issue last night, didn't buy it myself and will never buy it again but I would have to thank the two individuals whose letters were published replying to last month's NARGC report.

Found a copy, mate buys it, nice fellow that he is he let me read the two letters.

I must say there are some very valid points in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Story Man

It seems to me that there are many opions here, some more relevant than others.

It's easy to bash something here and apparently even easier to remove things if somone does not to agree with them.

Let me challenge the bashers.

If you are so concerned about the quality of a publication then YOU write something on your chosen aspect of the sport and submit it for publication. I am sure the editor will be happy to receive articles.

It's easy to criticise, we can all do that. Let's see if some of the epistiles I have read here from certain some folks can be turned into readable articles on our chosen sports.

SM

I think you might be missing the point there SM; the problem is not that there aren't some good things in the Digest, there are; the problem is not the long lead-in time, that's understandable for a print magazine; the problem isn't the prevalance of shotgun and hunting stuff, that only reflects the shooting community's demographics; the problem is that there are regular features in there that seem to be written purposely to get a rise out of the Gardai or DoJ or to get a dig into them on the cheap; and if you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas.

For example, you would have kept (and might get back) the NTSA column on ISSF rifle stuff to accompany the ICPSA stuff on shotguns, if it wasn't for the fact that the NTSA doesn't want its shooters associated with the stuff that shows up in Cal Ward's column (and others) all the time, because in the eyes of the Supers who read it, it's a negative thing; and why should the NTSA get its shooters hassle with their Super come renewal time in order to provide material (for free) to a commercial company?

The sole advantage of being in the Digest is that you reach shooters who don't use computers; and a newsletter printed by the NGB does that far more efficiently and without the negative side effects.

I'm all for magazines for our sport; I just want to see an Irish version of Target Sports not an Irish version of Guns'n'Ammo. Does that make sense?

• Advertisement

It does indeed make sense.

The problem with Ireland is that it is such a small market and all magazines rely on advertisements to keep them going. If the sales are not generated then the advertisers will not come on-board. It is unlikely that a UK based title would want to involve themselves in such a small marketplace.

As a result, Irish publications are limited to a local readership, unlike the UK magazines which we all read in addition to ISD.

Even though we have such a litery tradition here in Ireland it is very difficult to get people to write on country sports. Those of a litery bent seem to be golfers, yachtsmen or even rally drivers.

I have seen from this board that there are people who can construct arguments, weigh up facts and, more times than not, present a very good case for themselves. Maybe it's time to use this creativity that exists and begin to submit articles.

Just some thoughts

SM

I don't dispute that there's talent enough available SM; but how can you ask them to be associated with elements that can draw them hassle come renewal time or who bring the sport into disrepute? Especially when it's not for some altruistic purpose, but for someone else's private enterprise?

If the Digest got stricter editorially, if it ditched the DoJ/Gardai-bashing and the support for groups who've been neck-deep in dirty tricks politics within the sports admin and instead pushed more on the sport itself, on more extensive reviews of equipment, on upcoming events, on all the things we want from an Irish shooting magazine; maybe then it'd be different. Until then, I certainly wouldn't start writing for it again and I couldn't advise anyone else to do so if they asked.

Those are fair enough comments and I am sure if Eric reads this he will take them onboard.

Would you accept that if there were more "quality" items submitted then the others would be less likely to be included, or indeed, needed?

SM

I'm not sure I would accept that SM; we gave him monthly articles (for free) when I was doing the NTSA PRO job a few years ago; the other stuff just kept on being as bad and as extensive as before and we had to pull the articles as a result. Eric's kindof painted himself into a corner because of that; there are elements in the sport who get a lot of press in the Digest who frankly are a liability; if he ditched them, he'd still have to convince the other people out there that there was a seachange in editorial policy coming in, and that would take a while to sink in. In fact, he'd probably have to talk to the others about it first and arrange for writers to take over the content production, and then ditch people like Cal. It wouldnt' be pretty. But in the long run, can he survive a recession when many people don't seem to think the Digest is worth buying, and NGBs are either questioning the value of being in the Digest or have actively left it? I have to think that if he actually took the pain now, he'd benefit far more in the long run (I mean, imagine if he had a deal with the NARGC, ICPSA, NTSA and SSAI and others that the ISD would be the 'official' newsletter for the NGBs?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

unfortionly politics and sport dont mix and why should they .
    i have been involved from club level to national level on committees and the one thing i have learned is the bigger click wins right or wrong ,they might not be doing there sport any good but they win .
    so no more committees or politics for jw i was born to hunt n shoot not listen to A holes trying to push there views onto me .

Sparks wrote: »
    I don't dispute that there's talent enough available SM; but how can you ask them to be associated with elements that can draw them hassle come renewal time or who bring the sport into disrepute? Especially when it's not for some altruistic purpose, but for someone else's private enterprise?

If the Digest got stricter editorially, if it ditched the DoJ/Gardai-bashing and the support for groups who've been neck-deep in dirty tricks politics within the sports admin and instead pushed more on the sport itself, on more extensive reviews of equipment, on upcoming events, on all the things we want from an Irish shooting magazine; maybe then it'd be different. Until then, I certainly wouldn't start writing for it again and I couldn't advise anyone else to do so if they asked.

I think you hit hit on the head, there is a way of putting forward an opinion or informing the reader without turning it into a rant +1 for better reviews equipment etc........however paper never refuses ink, the ISD is a tabloid magazine. I said previously its a flick through, pick the bits you want to read. Pity it could be good

jwshooter wrote: »
    i have been involved from club level to national level on committees and the one thing i have learned is the bigger click wins right or wrong ,they might not be doing there sport any good but they win .
    Not always :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

In fact, he'd probably have to talk to the others about it first and arrange for writers to take over the content production, and then ditch people like Cal.

Sparks, I mainly buy the ISD for Cals section. He closely matches my interests in shooting sports and collecting. I dont run down any other sections, becaues I dont like/agree with what they have to say. I just let them get on with it. I think you are over reacting when you say, people might has problems come renewl time because of an piece written in a magazine! Ive had my problems with licence issues, as you can see from some of my posts. But I dont go pointing the finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

just read this months ,not great now at all

Chem, you collect bayonets and duelling pistols?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I'm all for magazines for our sport; I just want to see an Irish version of Target Sports not an Irish version of Guns'n'Ammo. Does that make sense?

THAT will be the day!!!:)An Irish guns&Ammo!!:eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    THAT will be the day!!!:)An Irish guns&Ammo!!:eek:

Called "Whatwouldyebewantinthatfor?!" :D

I have to confess that the only shooting magazines I read are ISSF News (it has decent coverage of the big competitions and is €22.50/year delivered) and The Rifleman (free with my NSRA membership). I've flicked through a few magazines knocking about in RRPC, but I couldn't tell you what they were; they didn't hold my attention for very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

I used to buy it every month without fail but now I just flick through it in the shops unless something catches my interest and I will buy it then.
    Personally I think they need to go back to basics and look at the shooting community and what it is that will make them buy their magazine. Reading through the posts folks are saying it is not a good magazine but nothing on what they want as such.
    Most of my shooting was rough shooting with the odd bit of clay shooting. I will break it down into what I would like to see in an Irish magazine.

Game & Vermin Shooting.
    General tips on shooting, be it from decoying to lamping tips.

Game Rearing.
    Advice on bird release and rearing from partridge to pheasant.

Clay Shooting.
    Advice on stance and following clays.

Dogs.
    Training dogs and advice on different breeds. Diet advice and general health topics for dogs

Equipment.
    Be it boots to knives there are so many different options out there. Most Irish lads just walk into the local gun shop and pick up the likes of a jacket without knowing if it will be warm, keep the rain our etc. Review a few products.

Target Shooting
    Basics such as setting a scope. Factoring in wind and distance. Ammunition to use.

Legal Matters.
    Up dates on legal issues and general advice for shooters.

Questions and Answers.
    Advice to reader’s letters.

Shooting supplies.
    Why in gods name don’t Irish shops advertise what they have in stock and the price?

They are just the basics of what I would like to see when I purchase the ISD. I am sure others here can elaborate on what would make a good Irish Shooting Magazine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Chem, you collect bayonets and duelling pistols?

I do yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

homerhop wrote: »
    I used to buy it every month without fail but now I just flick through it in the shops unless something catches my interest and I will buy it then.
    Personally I think they need to go back to basics and look at the shooting community and what it is that will make them buy their magazine. Reading through the posts folks are saying it is not a good magazine but nothing on what they want as such.
    Most of my shooting was rough shooting with the odd bit of clay shooting. I will break it down into what I would like to see in an Irish magazine.

Game & Vermin Shooting.

Game Rearing.

Clay Shooting.

Dogs.
    Training dogs and advice on different breeds. Diet advice and general health topics for dogs

Equipment.
    Be it boots to knives there are so many different options out there. Most Irish lads just walk into the local gun shop and pick up the likes of a jacket without knowing if it will be warm, keep the rain our etc. Review a few products.

Target Shooting
    Basics such as setting a scope. Factoring in wind and distance. Ammunition to use.

Legal Matters.

Questions and Answers.

Shooting supplies.
    Why in gods name don’t Irish shops advertise what they have in stock and the price?

They are just the basics of what I would like to see when I purchase the ISD. I am sure others here can elaborate on what would make a good Irish Shooting Magazine.

Good range of interesting topics there - excellent post!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭brieny1000

homerhop wrote: »

Game & Vermin Shooting.

Game Rearing.

Clay Shooting.

Dogs.

Equipment.

Target Shooting

Legal Matters.

Questions and Answers.

Shooting supplies.

bang on.. from what i can see there is more than enough know how on this site alone not to mind the rest of the country to fill amonthly mag with your "contents"..
    where do i send my subs?????:):)
    good post homerhop

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

The trouble here is folks,is ISD is trying to be all things to all men that have the most market in a minority sport in a small country.

I wrote a few articles for them in the early 90s,so I have a inkling on how these magazines work
    I personally feel that it does too many coverages of Meet,Greet,Eat and Retreat functions.IE AGMs and dinner dances, and many of "when I was a lad"type stories.But at least it tries to be diverse.

While we would welcome test reports on various firearms and equipment in an Irish context.Our firearms laws here negate such being done,as does the market.Other mags in the world can ring up a manufactur of anything gun or outdoor shooting related and ask can they test the new XY gun?Any gun maker will be only too happy to get free publicity and a exposure of its new product.Could you see any gun dealer handing out a firearm to test fire it to write up a report?Or the Gardai allowing this,or
    you even being allowed to test out even a new pair of wellies??How will a shop flog them on after???Even if they are returned??We just dont have the set up or attitude to do this here.And the market is just too small,any test reports can be done in the UK and sent over here.Just the way it is.

There is just so many times and articles you can read on how to raise pheasents or trap vermin.By rights that is somthing more for a book than a magazine article.It is more a science than an art,and ISD did have this for awhile ,it was pheasents, pheasents and more Effin pheasents!For months on end!It's the same with dogs,unless you have a new twist on all of the above,it's been done before and can be picked up from any good book on the above subjects.Which anyone should be reading.Same for clay ,rifle or whatever type of shooting you do. It is bookwork and practise,rather than a general article of two pages over a two month period.

Legal matters is always thorny as you never know wether you are commenting on somthing sub judicie.Wether somone will sue you because they read in the mag and it was wrong legal advice,or you will get everyones ire up because it is seen as provocative to the powers that be.Same with Q&A on legal ,technical,or whatever commentary editorial you might want to put in.Not to mind our libel laws as well.

I think why most dealers dont advertise prices on stock is that there is this fear [and odd Irish busisness sense ]that if I advertise my prices,everyone will be able to see what a expensive sod I am and no one will come near the place!So let them phone up or show up and I might flog them somthing else and they wont be able to know the difference of prices.That was fine in the pre internet age,doesnt really work anymore ,and you can see the same attitude on Irish net sites.No prices or what they have for sale.Go on US ,EU gun dealer sites,prices aplenty!

Why you have seemingly unpouplar people writing and staying there ranting away.Is because they are consistent! They write every month and until somone wants to put in the time and effort with somthing different in opinion or articles,it wont happen.It is a very difficult thing to do,to bash out a page on a monthly or weekly or even daily basis on current affairs.So imagine how difficult it is to run a magazine here in this market on a monthly basis to a limited audience and keep their subscriptions coming in to keep going.You cant be choosey as who writes for you and anything different or off topic [maybe] is to be welcomed.
    In short we are too small here to just have "dedicated" mags to different sections of shooting,and it's all we have here,going out to the non computor literate shooting folk out there. ISD must be doing somthing right,as it is the only one that has survived the longest here in the ROI of the homegrown crop.I can think of at least four that folded after a couple of issues or years.
    So if you want to change the contents to what you want to read.Get writing,but remember dont overdo it either as then people will say "shure it is just now a game/deer/pheasent/clay/target shooting mag,and of no intrest to my paticular sport"

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Grizzly - Hypothetically you've been given free reign to write some articles for the magazine - what would you write about?

I rember Rod & Gun, Shooting News and for the last fifteen years ISD. All were from the same stable!

Everything mentioned has been covered several times in the last thirty years and by a number of writers.

There is very little new under the sun.

SM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Your point is well put Grizzly but one could use the same views to this site, 10 good posts would cover every topic, but looking back there are always new members asking the same questions. Those of us who have been about a bit will be well aware of the majority of methods of doing things but it is never any harm to have a refresher course now and then.
    ISD is a 12 month mag and as you say it is all dine and wine or the good old days cols. Does the editor visit this site at all? Might be no harm, he could see what the everyday shooting community are talking about.

Advertisement