Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone here do Mult. App & Web Design in IADT?

Options
  • 05-02-2008 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Was strongly considering doing it and was wondering did anyone else do this course or one like it? Thanks just looking for general overview from someone with experience

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Krsnik87

Wondering the same thing but I don't think theres much of presence of IADT students here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭teckoda

I have it down as my number 1 level 8 course :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Krsnik87

So did I but the lecturer I had this year was so bad that I gave it up. I've heard good things about DIT and ITT but IADT and alot of the FETAC colleges are **** for it... If your doing a level 7 make sure you do it in a colege you can do a level 8 directly from. Saves alot of hassle and you'll be used to the enviornment.

My 2 cents!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Klept0

I'm in third year doing Multimedia and Computer programming in IADT.

1. Higher Certificate in Engineering in Audiovisual Media Technology (DL121)
    2. Bachelor of Engineering in Digital Media Technology (DL132)
    3. BSc (Honours) in Computing Multimedia Systems/Web Design (DL143)
    4. BSc in Computing in Multimedia Programming (DL131)
    5. BSc (Honours) in Applied Psychology (DL141)
    6. BSc (Honours) in Computing Multimedia Systems-Web Design (DL142)*
    7. M.Sc. in Cyberpsychology (DL155)*

Is your course code DL142/3 by any chance? I think that's the one you might be talking about. If that's the case you have to do DL131 anyway first and then progress to the fourth year to finish the masters (Well, they combined those who applied for the higher course from what I was told in first year this year, something about not having enough applicants, they could just separate if there's enough applications).

Their multimedia lecturers are quite good in parts, programming wise you'll learn a lot no problem. First year is a complete doddle, I can show you some of the stuff we did in second year (where things get more serious and actually fun!).

We learned how to use the basics of each program in first year really, photoshop, dreamweaver, flash, director, jcreator, netbeans etc. The programming side of things is quite important for this course though, it's not just design and good looking websites like most think upon applying. The description on the website can be slightly misleading. Most of our drop outs thought the course would be all computer games and learning how to create them, it's not. You will find something like that in second year however it's not that much.

WARNING: There is maths.

In first year:
    • A simple website (basic html, css, javascript).
    • 3 minute animated director movie (all elements drawn from scratch interacting)
    • A flash computer game (again all elements from scratch, coding and scripting interaction, mouse clicking, cursor movement, key pressing recognition).
    • Couple of presentations.

In second year we did more:
    • Presentations again, like any course.
    • A image gallery in flash that imports images from an outside folder. We learned a lot of different design techniques and actionscript(the coding in flash).
    • A flash mp3 player, again importing the mp3 from a folder and utilizing the various actionscript functions allowing you to have the basic play/pause buttons along with seeker bars, how far into the song it is playing, the volume etc.
    • Programming wise we did a lot more complex programming, mainly server side, the basics of DAOs, databases, how you store data using java, how you upload data to a server and display it on the screen etc.
    • 3D modelling was also an addition in second year, 3DS Max mainly, we developed small computers to modelling the whole of Dun Laoghaire harbour for the final project.
    • Another side to the course was that we had to get all of our own material, like stocks, movies and audio. We did a lot of video editing in adobe premiere.
    • The final major project includes all three parts of the course. Basically you were to illustrate the great attractions of Dun Laoghaire harbour in a flash application. You had to get all the materials yourself, in groups. This included taking pictures of the area, filming introductions, writing scripts as to how the shots will look, preparing a timeline, recording your voice for voice overs etc. The flash side was to import all these files through an XML document which in turn was created by the programming side through entering details on a form.

Here are some links to my deviantArt where I've uploaded some of the projects of second year:

http://zantinzuken.deviantart.com/art/MP3-Template-85036407
    http://zantinzuken.deviantart.com/art/Image-gallery-85035847
    http://zantinzuken.deviantart.com/art/Harbour-Project-85033557

The content in them doesn't work as dA doesn't allow me to upload the content with the flash to import them in!

Just got my results from college yesterday and I'm into third year now!

Hope this helps in some way!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Em_2008

thanks so much! im all excited now :D lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 EmmaFlynn

Hi Klept0 Cheers for all the info its very much appreciated. Just wondering tho how many hours is it a week??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 EmmaFlynn

Hey kelpt0 thanks for all the info :o

Just wondering tho..how many hours is it a week in first year?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Klept0

EmmaFlynn wrote: »
    Hey kelpt0 thanks for all the info :o

Just wondering tho..how many hours is it a week in first year?

Well from what I remember each day was different, the longest we had to stay in was 4 on the Wednesday. Otherwise most days were until 1 or even 11 on some occasions. Now of course every year it changes, second year we were staying in longer, but you also get some choice classes in first year which you don't have do attend (like computer applications), so that'll shave off some time too. I have to get a train and bus to get in for 9 every morning, so unless you live on the southside you'll probably be doing something similar (unless you have a car...ya lucky git :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

By far, the best way to tell a design degree is to go to their end of year show and look at the worst work in the class.

Most multimedia courses in Ireland are all right. They generally seem to through a lot at you and don't have the best lecturers across the board. If you want to be any good you'll definitely need to compliment your college learning with lots of work elsewhere. (Though I supposed that's good advice for most fields)

I'd treat a degree as giving you a good foundation to learn more, but if you just do it 9-5 you won't be very employable at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Black Eye Guy

Hey I just have a couple of questions on this course, how much maths is involved?

Are there any late starts or are they all 9?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Agri_trust

Hey I just have a couple of questions on this course, how much maths is involved?

Are there any late starts or are they all 9?

Two hours, but then your using it in relation to another two hour lecture. We start at 9 one day a week, in till 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Agri_trust

teckoda wrote: »
    I have it down as my number 1 level 8 course :D

Sher didnt you get in and all!!

Advertisement