Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom - Crazily false advertising

Options
  • 05-02-2008 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Eircom is advertising a Home Professional 3Mb package as unlimited despite having a 20Gb (and a 30Gb limit)

Yes as far as I can see the one package is unlimited, with a 20Gb cap and a 30Gb cap. What a deal!!

Are my eyes deceiving me! A friend brought this wonderful contradiction to my attention. I have attached some screen shots in case it changes

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I think they mean you can use it anytime day or night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭tullachBuí

On two consecutive lines it says;

"unlimited monthly usage"
    "20 GB download / unlimited upload"

while in the same breath saying 30GB download earlier in the Ad.

This must be wrong or else they are really making it confusing. Sorry, but I just had to post this. If it's rubbish I'm sure the mods can delete it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

It's very confusing alright.They do seem to mean use it when ever you want though but badly done! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Yes as far as I can see the one package is unlimited, with a 20Gb cap and a 30Gb cap. What a deal!!

You could always send this stuff to the ASAI http://www.asai.ie/
    and see what they make of it...

Frankly you'd be better off poking a needle in your eye than hoping they'll do much.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

On two consecutive lines it says;

"unlimited monthly usage"
    "20 GB download / unlimited upload"

while in the same breath saying 30GB download earlier in the Ad.

This must be wrong or else they are really making it confusing. Sorry, but I just had to post this. If it's rubbish I'm sure the mods can delete it.

I think its just an error from the website developers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

bealtine wrote: »
    You could always send this stuff to the ASAI http://www.asai.ie/
    and see what they make of it...

Frankly you'd be better off poking a needle in your eye than hoping they'll do much.

They, as in eircom, or the ASAI? The ASAI are very good and do investigate all advertising complaints. I'm not sure they can do anything about websites though as it's not actually an advertisment (under the ASAI code). Advertising is also a self regulated industry, and the ASAI have no actual powers to force advertisers to comply or to penalise them for non-compliance. If Comreg were worth a shite they would do something about this, but we all know better than that.
    Gonzo wrote: »
    I think its just an error from the website developers.

I'd say it's deliberate misleading by ambiguity. I'm sure they mean unlimited in time (as they also offer a time limited broadband option), but their wording is very poor. Unlimited always means download/upload limits, but this is eircom.

There was a discussion on this exact topic before Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

It's been brought to their attention on numourous occasions.

It's in contrast to the BB Time package which is a limited package.

Badly phrased but I don't think it'll be changed anytime soon.

But then again I've yet to see anyone being charged for going over the download allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Its been like that for a year or more and definitely not a mistake, Its even been brought up here on boards a couple of times in the past.

Advertisement