Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does anyone actually USE Media Center???

• 05-02-2008 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Since the Divx update i haven't even gone near Media Center on the xbox 360.
    Do any of you use it??The music,video and photos through the dashboard are all i need to use.
    If you do use it WHAT FOR?????????????:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

are the music/video/photos not the actual 'Media Centre'

I'm confused Ted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

zAbbo wrote: »
    are the music/video/photos not the actual 'Media Centre'

I'm confused Ted.

No media center is totally different!Just shows how much you use it:D

Do you mean using the Media Centre Extender functionality ?

That's only really useful of you have a compatabile MCE version of Windows.

Personally I use Connect360 to stream content from my Macbook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭doyler442

I would love to use the bloody thing but everytime I set it up I just get an error on my xbox telling me its lost its conection - tried plenty of fixes but nothing works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

zAbbo wrote: »
    Do you mean using the Media Centre Extender functionality ?

That's only really useful of you have a compatabile MCE version of Windows.

Personally I use Connect360 to stream content from my Macbook.

Yes that's what i mean.I have MCE vista but have no use for it.Everything i need is on the main dashboard,Not many WMV movies around the place!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I never use it but that's because my 360 is connected to the same monitor as the PC that has all the media stored on it so I just play stuff on the PC which is actually quieter than the bloody xbox!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Hehe I tried using it once and it wouldnt play anything so I said screw that and left it to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Antamojo

I have it connected but I prefer to just watch videos on my PC, play songs on my iPod, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

I don't use Media Centre - I'm the same as zAbbo. Anyone who has a Mac should try Connect360 - it works a charm, and seems to be a lot easier to set up and use than the windows alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I used it in my old place all the time, had a dual tuner on the HTPC so could use the xbox to watch n record tv in another room... Worked really well. Don't use it now cause I've sky+, when I move again i'll prob set it back up, wont be getting sky again... chewing gum for the eyes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

I use it all the time! stream music, photos and videos (still working on divx kinks tho!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

TVersity works for me, I don't see any compelling reason to change even with the Divx update.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mr kr0nik

Just got My Movies and Transcode360 working between my MCE2005 PC and 360 last night.

My Movies is quite good, it give loads of info on each movie as well being able to customise the parental control etc. Still haven't ironed out all of the problems with Transcode360 though.

There seems to be a number of other plug in (weather, sports etc.) similar to the wii that I'll try out later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

tveristy works for me aswell cant complain there is a full read through on afterdawn which willl get it working correctly.My main prob was with the codes so the ffd(i think its called) was installed first with the correct settings it worked a charm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I have a 400gig HD that I didnt realise was a FAT partition untill I was 300GIG into it with Movies so it has worked out very well for me. Still the odd movie that fails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I'm confused. I stream movies and music to the Xbox from my computer to the console via a router.

What can the 'Media Centre' do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

i just plug my usb powered hd into the 360. no need to have pc on guzzling electricity as well. just call me Captain Planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

silvine wrote: »
    I'm confused. I stream movies and music to the Xbox from my computer to the console via a router.

What can the 'Media Centre' do?

media centre extender is just the snazzy interface for browsing your media content on an alternative device than your media centre pc.

Its not great TBH, after I went to great pains to set it up :o

It's handy if you're using the MCE PC with PVR functions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

doyler442 wrote: »
    I would love to use the bloody thing but everytime I set it up I just get an error on my xbox telling me its lost its conection - tried plenty of fixes but nothing works

I have the exact same problem, but I'm determined to get it working.
    It'll be nice to watch streamed films on the TV downstairs while the PC is doing its thing in another room.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

the media extender is the best way to watch tv

you just need a vista or xp mce pc on the same network, and install a tuner card, then....
    you can pause and rewind live tv, (no more what did he just say)
    have a guide to tell you whats on even if your just on terrestial analog
    tape entire seasons of a show
    spend about 1min setting it to tape all the good films that are on in the next two weeks
    stop watching something in 1 room and resume it from the same point in another room
    subtitles come on when you mute it
    teletext is remembered so pages change instantly

sadly i rearly get to play halo3 as the 360 is used for live and recorded tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

i tried using it but found it very slow...meh i just put my movies onto a dvd and it can be watched through the xbox

that update that lets me put like 5 movies onto a dvd is class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Just set it up last night actually. Most movies it won't play, even with the divx update. Dunno.

I'll go back to streaming to my original xbox media centre :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Dunno what happened mine last night. I was just after watching a Divx streaming from the PC when I went to watch another, it couldn't find the PC.

Found the PC a couple of reboots later, and the shared folder with all the named files, then it couldn't play them - even those it played earlier.

Media Centre seems to hang when I attempt to reconfigure it, same with Tversity.

Something is snafu'd!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sham08

I have got a 500gb external harddrive with movies that play in itunes, is there a way of streaming these movies to the television from the pc, I have a network, pc running XP pro, xbox360? And if not is there a way of watching these movies on the television without connecting up my pc to the television?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

sham08 wrote: »
    I have got a 500gb external harddrive with movies that play in itunes, is there a way of streaming these movies to the television from the pc, I have a network, pc running XP pro, xbox360? And if not is there a way of watching these movies on the television without connecting up my pc to the television?
    just plug the usb into the x box, most of the movies will work or you can get tveristy do a search it is not that hard to install and its free

Dunno what happened mine last night. I was just after watching a Divx streaming from the PC when I went to watch another, it couldn't find the PC.

Found the PC a couple of reboots later, and the shared folder with all the named files, then it couldn't play them - even those it played earlier.

Media Centre seems to hang when I attempt to reconfigure it, same with Tversity.

Something is snafu'd!

Finally got this working properly over the weekend.

I had to reconfigure Media Cantre extender and decline the recommended option of it detecting all the folders. I added them manually later.

I can now see my C:\media folder directly on the PC via the 360 and stream all my AVIs and DIVXs to the HD Plasma!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

i have used it, but TBH i prefer to just stick a movie on a USB storage key and watch the film / music etc through that and not have both running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Got me a problem with Vista x64 Media Center and my xbox.

After finally getting the extender set up and having the nice very snazzy MC UI on the 360, I can't play any video files whatsoever, even native wmv files.

Installed a codec pack and I still can't get MC to play video files. Any ideas?

• Advertisement

Just a couple of quick questions...

Have you selected your shared folders in Media Centre? Can you see the PC from your XBOX?

Advertisement