Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.375 licenced

Options
  • 05-02-2008 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Don't know if we're allowed to put this type of material up here any more, but here goes (paraphrasing):

Today in the High Court the State Solicitor (after prolonged negotiations in the corridor) offered a Firearms Certificate and 100% Costs to settle a shooter's legal challenge to a Garda Superintendent’s refusal to licence his .375 rifle - almost 6 years from the date of the first application! (He had first applied for the permit in 2002 and commenced proceedings in 2004.) The plaintiff & his advisors accepted the offer and appeared briefly before the Judge to indicate that the matter had been settled.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

on the topic of .375 what are they used for in Ireland?
    The things look like they could be used to take down a Rino!

I saw some silver coloured possibly nickel coated? shells at a 50m range
    in the brass bin before and they were huge. Someone mentioned they were
    for up close shooting of Big Game? and not for Long distance shooting
    wondering if that is true.

375 H&H MAG R.P headstamp.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Target shooting , to prepare you for shooting biggame abroad. Expensive sport abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Good news Sandy. A win is a WIN!!!
    As Traumadoc says, expensive target fodder.

The 375-H&H is a great all around big game cartridge and is about as friendly to reload of any caliber I know of. The .375 H&H is not really a deer cartridge but it will drop a deer with less meat damage than a .270 and has probably accounted for more dangerous game up to the size of Cape Buffalo and elephant than any other large caliber cartridge. It will make quick work of buff's and Elephant in the right hands also. ;)
    Not a "flat shooting" cartridge but not to shabby considering its general use. It will reach out and take plains game up to 300 m.
    http://www.cpcartridge.com/375H&HMAG-B.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.375_H&H_Magnum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

Fair play to him for successfully challenging the decision, but in all fairness what on earthy could you use a .375 in Ireland for? Is he thinking of taking a trip to Dublin zoo...?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

You could be an Irish person, who travels overseas to hunt big stuff, but needs to practice here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

wonder how many 338 Lapua mags are Licenced here now, Lovley round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

ranger4 wrote: »

yeah love one of those,icon12.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

ranger4 wrote: »

I've heard of the .338's kick shattering the glass in optics...:eek: still hard hitter for long range stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

I know of a few people that have had .375 H&H for a while now they use them for cape buffalo and yhe like.I also know of one .470 nitro express ,a bit expensive for rabbits at €20 a shot though.:p

Advertisement