Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Matt Cooper

• 05-02-2008 5:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

Reckon this guy is one of the best on the radio at the moment. Always seems to be devil's advocate on discussions. Deep knowledge on business, current affairs, sport and politics.

A Leeds fan too, just a pity he's a Cork man... ;)

discuss!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

quarryman wrote: »
    Reckon this guy is one of the best on the radio at the moment. Always seems to be devil's advocate on discussions. Deep knowledge on business, current affairs, sport and politics.

A Leeds fan too, just a pity he's a Cork man... ;)

discuss!

Somebody saying something good about someone??! are you sure you have the right forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah I like Matt too. I dipped away for a while when Newstalk went national, and Hookie has some good weekly slots, but Matt gets the bulk of my time from 4:30-7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

The guy can be good at times however his show is littered with advert breaks. Good discussions invariably have to be cut short for 'we must take an ad break' He says 'let's go to the traffic' which is a brief report on the M50 followed by yet another ad break. There are about six breaks per hour and a competition slot maybe three times an hour which leaves very little time for anything substantial. It does my head in. I've stopped listening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

12 min terror

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Yeah a fan of the Last Word here too and sometimes the very last word. It makes the drive home enjoyable(though I am blessed that it only takes 15 mins). Casc and Lawro with the football is good also, through in a bit of PJ & PJ, irregular contributions from Moore McDowell, Kevin Myers and David McWilliams; all in all a good show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

I used to be a regular listener but now Matt Cooper just annoys me. He asks really stupid questions, and it's not even the stupid questions that he asks that annoys me, it's the way he asks the question when he quite clearly already knows the answer. I prefer when Fintan O'Toole steps in but he hasn't done so for quite a while. The same topics are covered over and over and he always has the same contributors - like any time he has a piece on pubs, that Flash Gordon guy comes on with aboslutely nothing worthwhile to bring to the discussion. The sport coverage is quite good, however, especially the soccer and I like the film reviews, the guy is quite good, he reviews the books too, but I find the woman a bit irritating when she can't string sentence together - ammmm, yeh, yeh, no, um, geh...ammm, eh. She's worse than Vicky Pollard. And I have to agree with juuge, there's way too many ad breaks/jingles/traffic reports etc but apart from that I think the show is great :D

That "feigning stupidity" tactic does my head in too. I tend to listen to Hooky these days but have been on Last Word this week and sure enough more stoopid questions to elicit a response being posed. Stop it Cooper stop it!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

I hear ya Mike - but when he asks the stupid questions, is it not that he may be asking what others don't know. He could probably ask it differently but I think that is why he asks the stupid questions.

I too started to listen to Hook a few years ago, and I love to watch him when watching the rugby, but as a radio presenter, I just can't listen anymore. I felt that he was a tad condescending with some contributors, in particular the guy that did the movie reviews.

But now my radio is automatically switched to Today Fm at 4:30pm...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

robo wrote: »
    I hear ya Mike - but when he asks the stupid questions, is it not that he may be asking what others don't know. He could probably ask it differently but I think that is why he asks the stupid questions.

I think that's exactly what he's doing and that's why I find it so annoying. He might as well say 'and for all our stupid listeners...' before he asks the question because it's obvious that he already knows the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Best show on the radio imo, he wipes the floor with Hook. At the start he struggled but in the last 2 years he has been outstanding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Harry Bo

I agree with the too many ad breaks thing and he can be a bit arrogant with his own opinion at times but there's good discussion on topics and the soccer and rugby discussion is interesting and I also like the films, music and travel slots. A bit less of Matt's opinion and it'd be fine. It's better than Darcy anyway.

I'd like to think the tea-time slots are well above the likes of Ray Darcy/Gerry Ryan et al.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Radio Mad.

Badabing wrote: »
    Best show on the radio imo, he wipes the floor with Hook. At the start he struggled but in the last 2 years he has been outstanding.

I have to disagree. I believe, in terms of presentation, personality, quality and variety of subjects covered, it's Hook who wipes the floor with Cooper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Mr. Bones

Radio Mad. wrote: »
    I have to disagree. I believe, in terms of presentation, personality, quality and variety of subjects covered, it's Hook who wipes the floor with Cooper.

Agree with you Radio Mad, i've only been listening to Cooper for the last month or so after starting a new job at the start of the year and there's a radio in the office tuned to Today FM. Whenever Cooper comes on I can't wait to get out of the office, he does my head in with his whiny delivery & sneery attitude. Hook isn't perfect, tends to ramble all over the place when interviewing, but I love his technology, travel, & film slots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yep, I agree Mr. Bones. Its like a half hour of each, which is brilliant. Matt sticks his movie/technology bits at the end of the show (last 10 minutes), and ends up having to cut them short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Mr. Bones

Mr E wrote: »
    Yep, I agree Mr. Bones. Its like a half hour of each, which is brilliant. Matt sticks his movie/technology bits at the end of the show (last 10 minutes), and ends up having to cut them short.

Yeah Cooper's slots are more like lip service to these subjects rather than the real interest that Hook seems to have in them. You feel himself and Philip Molloy could talk old movies all evening:).

Mr. Bones wrote: »
    Yeah Cooper's slots are more like lip service to these subjects rather than the real interest that Hook seems to have in them. You feel himself and Philip Molloy could talk old movies all evening:).

Mabe its an age thing but who wants to listen to two old men talking about movies? Current affairs, sport thats what i like to listen to and i think Cooper is the best.

Mr. Bones wrote: »
    ...I love his technology, travel, & film slots.

So do I. Excellent stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

Cooper is good.I'd rate him 3rd after the king of radio,Joe Duffy and Gerry Ryan.Gay Byrne was the best by a mile.Why is Ryan Tuberty still in his slot? HE's dreadful

Nobody is right right or wrong here, it's just a matter of taste. I like Hook, Cooper is good (I just prefer Hook), on the same slot in Dublin Williams on Q is too smug, I enjoy Tubridy's show, Kenny is reasonably good (even if he does think he knows it all when he is interviewing people), can take or leave Duffy and can't stomach Ryan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

juuge wrote: »
    The guy can be good at times however his show is littered with advert breaks. Good discussions invariably have to be cut short for 'we must take an ad break' He says 'let's go to the traffic' which is a brief report on the M50 followed by yet another ad break. There are about six breaks per hour and a competition slot maybe three times an hour which leaves very little time for anything substantial. It does my head in. I've stopped listening.

Slightly off topic but I was listening to George Hook (may have been Kilberd who stood in) about 2 to 3 weeks ago (I switch between the 3 main stations depending what is being discussed) and he was on an ad break. It came back discussed Alex Ferguson giving some rude signs to Reading fans and then went to another break for 4 mins. Then news and then another ad break after the news. It was so frustrating. Didn't listen for the rest of the week.
    The breakfast show is similar. It does the newspapers and business, ad break, sport, ad break, news. Atleast they don't go to a break after the news. I know they need revenue but it drives me mad expecially as it seems to be the same ads the whole time. Rant over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

Roanmore wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but I was listening to George Hook (may have been Kilberd who stood in) about 2 to 3 weeks ago (I switch between the 3 main stations depending what is being discussed) and he was on an ad break. It came back discussed Alex Ferguson giving some rude signs to Reading fans and then went to another break for 4 mins. Then news and then another ad break after the news. It was so frustrating. Didn't listen for the rest of the week.
    The breakfast show is similar. It does the newspapers and business, ad break, sport, ad break, news. Atleast they don't go to a break after the news. I know they need revenue but it drives me mad expecially as it seems to be the same ads the whole time. Rant over.

Spot On... I calculated one day that there was twenty five minutes of each hour dedicated to discussion. The remainder was ads,news (brief headlines) and traffic. I stopped listening couldn't be arsed with that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

juuge wrote: »
    Spot On... I calculated one day that there was twenty five minutes of each hour dedicated to discussion. The remainder was ads,news (brief headlines) and traffic. I stopped listening couldn't be arsed with that..

If you dont want news or ads, but dont mind traffic - then check out John Neary from 4 to 7 pm on DubCity FM 103.2 - Its wall to wall traffic with a few eclectic tunes thrown in. I find it almost mesmeric at times - in a good way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭homerjk

I like Matt and Hookie but I'd give the overall thumbs up to Hook because I cannot stand the woman that does technology on The Last Word. She makes me want to throw myself in front of a bus. I also don't like the man and woman that do movies on The Last Word to a lesser extent. Maybe throw myself in front of a mini bus for them...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Have to agree about the feigning stupidity v annoying. Cooper doing a feature on Amsterdam a while back he sounded like he was training for the priesthood. Then in a sad attempt to suck up to the female listership he started on about the exploitation of women nonsense.

Copper No1 at drivetime nuff said:cool:

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

homerjk wrote: »
    I like Matt and Hookie but I'd give the overall thumbs up to Hook because I cannot stand the woman that does technology on The Last Word. She makes me want to throw myself in front of a bus. I also don't like the man and woman that do movies on The Last Word to a lesser extent. Maybe throw myself in front of a mini bus for them...:p
    I find the woman that does the tech slot on Hook's show to be even more irritating.

Karlin Lillington. Arse - Elbow

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

I used to enjoy listening to Matt Cooper, but I can't stick his show lately.

Not sure why, probably a combination of things, its seems to all Bertie and his woes lately (sick of it) a touch of arrogance creeping in, dumbing down the questioning technique (this has been mentioned by others)

Anyway, listening to Drivetime at the moment, don't ya just love Frances Shanahan with the Farm News...:D

PS: Ray Foley makes me laugh though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Cant stand Cooper. He has a whiney voice and has been going on and on for years about the economic bust. Same about Bertie. I spend an hour every evening lin the car listening to the radio and the only reason I listen to him is because the rest are even worse! Used to love Dunphy on that slot. Another thing. Why the hell cant Cooper pronounce Saturday properly - always saying Sahurday. Poor from a journalist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

mike65 wrote: »
    Karlin Lillington. Arse - Elbow
    So true. god she annoys me

Green Hornet don't mock Corkmen! Some of his word mangling is far worse than Sahurday. :p

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

mike65 wrote: »
    Green Hornet don't mock Corkmen! Some of his word mangling is far worse than Sahurday. :p

Mike.
    I guess you're right Mike. In fact I'm probably worse myself in any case.:)

"Widcht" gets me every time.

Mike.

Advertisement