Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Booking the wrong Cynic

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Oh, that sucks ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

That's very funny :). Is there not some law in place to prevent bands having the same name? I remember buying Coming Up by Suede in Boston years ago and on the front of the CD they were listed as "The London Suede". Apparently some American band was already using the name Suede and so they had to change their name for the North American market.

Did neither Cynic band think that they should differentiate themselves from each other?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Never heard of the UK Cynic, but I'd love it if the US Cynic got to play Wacken, only started listening to them recently and gosh darnit they rock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

malice_ wrote: »
    That's very funny :). Is there not some law in place to prevent bands having the same name? I remember buying Coming Up by Suede in Boston years ago and on the front of the CD they were listed as "The London Suede". Apparently some American band was already using the name Suede and so they had to change their name for the North American market.

Did neither Cynic band think that they should differentiate themselves from each other?:confused:

It's a messy issue. Depends on where you are and how big your band is. US bands tend to get all sue-happy and get lawyers involved. There are a few Suedes, Placebos, Peach(es) and even more than one Nirvana (and the one you're thinking of is not the original!).

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I heard somewhere that Blink 182 were originally called "Blink" until an Irish band with the same name told them to change it. Thats what I've heard, not 100% sure that that is right. I'd say it happens quite alot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Ha that's a kick in the face for that band.

!

Brilliant. The American Cynic are quite good. Picked up one of their albums awhile back, a total blind buy and was pleasently surprised.

Advertisement