Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

how do I identify which cable is which?

• 05-02-2008 6:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭

Oh wise forum,

I've ordered my cabinet, patch panels, switch, Krone tool etc. so soon I'll be getting a-cabling.

I have 2x or 4x CAT5e cables to each room all leading back to my "node zero" - aka the garage.

Trouble is, I don't know which of the bundle of 50-odd cables leads to which room. I'd like to structure these in the patch panels to group phones etc. neatly.

I can fit the data outlets in the rooms and plug in a patch cable - but does anyone have a neat trick for identifying the other end of the cable? I don't want to crimp on an RJ45 only to cut it off again to punch into the panel.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    SSE

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

you could pick up a cheap Meter in Peats Wholesale and test for Continuity... they have some meters there for less than ten Euro.. Mind you it will take some time doing it this way ...Maybe your Sparks could bell them out for you, or at leat give you a loan of his toner..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Hi there,

This is how I do it. Terminate all the wall sockets first. Then decide your numbering scheme. Then buy one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Tempo-200EP-Inductive-Amplifier-and-77HP-Tone-Tester_W0QQitemZ130195473507QQihZ003QQcategoryZ40004QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is is only an example, you can buy these pretty cheap but I assure you whatever you get one for (as little as 50 to 70 euro) it will save you hours and hours of work!

You plug one end into your terminated socket then go back to your comms cabinet and the tone that is transmitted from the tone generater is picked up by the receiver.

Thats my tupence worth, enjoy the terminating, just make sure not to strip the cables too much, only and inch or so and enjoy, its very rewarding terminating a camms cabinet..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Thanks - I actually have an (old) Tempo DSTS2 that my dad gave me (he's a sparks). Would I just be able to get a tone generator and use this?

Thanks
    SSE

No thats a very handy piece of equipment for testing analogue phone lines but wont work with a tone.
    if your dads a sparks surely he has a toner as described above by fusion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

he's probably got one, yep, but he's in a different country:)

this do the job?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160205936829&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=006

Thanks
    SSE

• Advertisement

Yeah looks like it'll work, but I can speak from experience the Toner that Fusion directed you to is a great bit of kit.. I use a simular one and it has never given me any bother in fact I prefer it to my super douper Fluke digital tester.(cant get the hang of it laugh):D
    presumably this house is a new build can you borrow one from your sparks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

I agree with Johnie, the tempo one is a better bit of kit but if you were to buy the other one it would do no prob. The Tempo one is made for engineers on the go and made to take knocks. I use two, one is a cheaper model similar to the ebay one you found (cost 100 pounds old money though) and the second one I use is a Fluke cable IQ. The tone out of the better ones is stronger and more defined as well. But you may be able to borrow one two. Im afraid Im in Kerry but Im sure if you asked someone nicely they'd lend you one, you'll only need it for a few hours mark your cables and boom boom job done.

Cable Monkeys rule the world...!!!!

Advertisement