Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Matt Cooper - RSA - Speed Not All to Blame

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I would love to know how the Garda filling out the accident form determines what the cause of the accident was. How does he determine it was caused by speed, especially if there were no witnesses? I am sceptical of the figure which says 2.5% of accidents are caused by road conditions. The RSA, who are a Government body, will go to great lengths to avoid blaming the road conditions for accidents. After all road maintenance is something the Government is responsible for. Wouldn't want to open themselves up to a lot of claims would they?
    I don't think an individual garda stands to benefit by placing that kind of misleading info in the stats.
    However, IIRC many incidents that involve alcohol aren't recorded because of family/testing/etc. issues.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

prospect wrote: »
    I, like alot of others, am of the opinion that there is no point in moaning about it. Do something about it...

So, in relation to a lethal cross road about 500yds from my house (rural road), I sent an e-mail to all the local council reps (all who are involved in a roads task group) asking for something to be done. I pointed out that my neighbour was in two serious accidents in the space of 18mths at this junction, and also in that same time frame I had witnessed/come across 6 other serious accidents. Luckily no fatalities so far.
    Of the 8:
    1 (the mayor) - Replied saying She didn't see a problem with the junction (WTF???)
    2 - Replied saying they would look into it. (never heard from them again)
    1 - Met me at the junction to look at it. (never heard from them again)
    4 - Never responded.

During the elections, I pointed out the issue to all canvassers. 2 of these (both of whom were elected) wrote to me afterwards saying something would be done in August 2007. Nothing has been done.

So, now I am forming the opinion that these people really don;t care. All the government bodies want to take the handy route. Put in speed cameras (highest return on investment) and then blame the Road user for everything.
    Contact your local paper. They are always on the lookout for easy stories especially scandals. Mention how someone who presumably has no experience in engineering (the mayor) made a deciaion on the junction and how someone will get killed unless action is taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

To provide one or two vans (depending on the area) to each urban district & local council.

We all know most of these departments are already overstaffed, so stick two people in each van and have them on the roads 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.

What do they do, drive all the roads in their area and stop and clean (sponge & suds) all the road signs and cut back any foliage that impedes the drivers view of the signs.

They could also report any stop lines that need re-painting, or reumble strips that are worn down. And, they could log all serious pot-holes & subsidance.

Seriously, would that cost alot?

But sure there's no elections coming up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭AngelinaJolie

I, like alot of others, am of the opinion that there is no point in moaning about it. Do something about it...

So, in relation to a lethal cross road about 500yds from my house (rural road), I sent an e-mail to all the local council reps (all who are involved in a roads task group) asking for something to be done. I pointed out that my neighbour was in two serious accidents in the space of 18mths at this junction, and also in that same time frame I had witnessed/come across 6 other serious accidents. Luckily no fatalities so far.
    Of the 8:
    1 (the mayor) - Replied saying She didn't see a problem with the junction (WTF???)
    2 - Replied saying they would look into it. (never heard from them again)
    1 - Met me at the junction to look at it. (never heard from them again)
    4 - Never responded.

During the elections, I pointed out the issue to all canvassers. 2 of these (both of whom were elected) wrote to me afterwards saying something would be done in August 2007. Nothing has been done.

So, now I am forming the opinion that these people really don;t care. All the government bodies want to take the handy route. Put in speed cameras (highest return on investment) and then blame the Road user for everything.

Yes I think you should go the a local paper or national paper - ask your neighbour if he would be interviewed. Don't know the ins and outs but sounds like a great story to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ioshmearse

tinkerbell wrote: »
    There was also a motor journalist on talking about it, and he was the one talking sense! ... It's peoples attitude when they are driving so slow that they should bloody move in rather than holding up a whole line of traffic.

This journalist was biased. He stated that 'its not speed that kills, its the sudden stop'. This has been used by Clarkson several times so who robbed this quote from whom. Sorry parent of dead pedestrian but the speeding car didnt kill your child - it was the fact that the driver had to apply their brakes quickly and came to a sudden stop!!!! and your child just happened to be in their direction of travel.

Its driver, pedestrian, cyclist behaviour that is responsible for the majority of accidents. If the driver in front is driving too slow, its your responsibility to overtake when its safe to do so. Slow drivers can also be prosecuted for dangerous driving but they generally arent directly responsible for killing other road users.

If the road conditions are not suitable for driving near the speed limit then deal with it, drop your speed and if it bothers anyone follow the example of others on this thread and complain to the local authority.

• Advertisement
Advertisement