Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to give as Christening present?

Options
  • 05-02-2008 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

I.m going to the Christening of a good friend's twins this week end and would like to hear views on how much is considered reasonable to give as a gift. I want to give a voucher for a local baby shop.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

if u are not the godfather or godmother etc, id say 50 euro (not 50 each)
    but then again im a skinflint

seriously, if everyone invited gave 50 euro, then happydays

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Well speaking personally, my twins are getting christened weekend after next and I don't expect any gifts from the people who are coming to it. Everyone gave gifts when they were born and to me that is plenty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Out of all the presents we got for my sons christening it was the small thoughtful gifts which meant the most. Something that shows you made and effort, doesn't matter how much it cost.

Tadhg got a beautiful little "first tooth" box with humpty-dumpty on it and his name engraved, it's tiny and I doubt it was really dear but it's absolutely gorgeous!
    He also got a "guardian angel" in a frame, again, not expensive but really thoughtful.

If it's a very close friend I'd suggest getting something with a little more thought than a voucher, even if it's just picking two little outfits yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Zell

Thank you for the replies. That was my first post on Boards and I'm very encouraged! I did give a gift of clothes when they were born but I feel I can't go empty handed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I guess it depends on the people involved alright...you know them, not me, obviously. In our families there isn't a tradition of bringing any gifts to christenings (except for the godparents) as it is really just a big day out and almost a way for the parents involved to thank everyone for the help and gifts from when babies were born.

Anyhow, I agree with Shelli above...some small keep-sake would be a nice touch for a christening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

As others have said, gifts are not expected at a christening, some give, others don't, and its no big deal not to. It is certainly not expected if you have already given clothes when the child was born. I have never heard of anyone giving or recieving money or voucher as a christening present, it is generally a keepsake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I was looking for something like this. I've just been asked to be godmother to my niece and I'm thrilled about it, but I'm trying to get ideas on what I should get her for a present. I was looking at Christening bracelets today, which I could get engraved. The lady in the jewellers was also showing me some money boxes & little containers for first tooth & first curl etc, but I know my nephew got loads of those when he was christened, so I'd like to get her something different. I don't want to give money.....I'd prefer to get her something that she will have in years to come. But I'm just wondering what is normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

chuckles30 wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but I was looking for something like this. I've just been asked to be godmother to my niece and I'm thrilled about it, but I'm trying to get ideas on what I should get her for a present. I was looking at Christening bracelets today, which I could get engraved. The lady in the jewellers was also showing me some money boxes & little containers for first tooth & first curl etc, but I know my nephew got loads of those when he was christened, so I'd like to get her something different. I don't want to give money.....I'd prefer to get her something that she will have in years to come. But I'm just wondering what is normal?

My daughter was given a lovely sterling silver necklace by her godfather. It has her name and date of birth engraved on it. I think I'll be giving it to her when she's older, perhaps confirmation age. Its lovely though and something that she'll have forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Thanks embee - actually that's a good idea as it's something she could wear later on too. I got one of those for my confirmation from my godmother and it's lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

How about taking loads of photos on the day, then get a pretty album for them. I have a seven year old who loves looking at her Christening photos. Make it especially for her, explaining who is who, and what they were doing in the photo etc., keep the photos more informal and quirky, she will see plenty of the posed family ones I'm sure, so having her own little book will be special to her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

I posted in a thread in the gifts forum, but didn't get many responses so I'm hoping I'll have a bit more luck here :) I'm looking for suggestions for a Christening present, I'm going to be Godmother so I'd like to get something thoughtful. I like sueme's suggestion and I think I'll do that, but I'd like something to give on the day. Is there any presents that people received that they really liked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Should have mentioned it's for a girl

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

A charm bracelet and then over the years you can buy her charms to put on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

Hey!
    My boyfriend was godfather for his niece the May bank holiday weekend and got her a bracelet with her name engraved in it. It cost something like €50 included the ingraving and it was beautiful. I got her a voucher in Clarkes for her first pair of shoes again costing €40. The parents really didnt expect presents from us as we constantly buy for the child but i couldnt help myself :) i know my boyfriends mother didnt buy anything for the baby as she kitted out the nursery when the baby was born and aunts and uncles that turned up didnt buy anything either so i suppose it depends on your relationship with the baby and family!
    hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I went to my friend's niece's christening at the weekend, ended up arriving empty handed due to traffic and felt really bad :o So have bought her two little tops in the Debenhams designers section (only 25 quid) and wrapped them up in tissue in a little gift bag from M&S. I didn't get her anything when she was born as she lives far away and I haven't seen her mother in years. I think that's ok isn't it? After all, they laid on some food and drink in their house afterwards so there's no way I wouldn't get the wee mite something :p

Advertisement