Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This made me smile - For the love of God do what you say Gaybo and go!

Options
  • 05-02-2008 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

Found this on the Indo. While I want to make absolutely clear that I'm not smiling about the number of road deaths(obviously), I must say I enjoyed what Gaybo had to say, especially given that we know what the RSA said so recently on Today FM(which I'm dying to hear if anyone would be so kind as to link me to it):

Angry Gaybo hits out at delay on speed cameras

Government ‘not providing money’, says road safety boss

By Treacy Hogan Environment Correspondent
    Tuesday February 05 2008

Penny pinching by a government department is holding up the nationwide network of 600 private speed cameras, according to road safety supremo Gay Byrne.

Mr Byrne has accused the Department of Justice of refusing to pick up the bill for the promised speed cameras, whose rollout has been longfingered.
    The Chairman of the State's Road Safety Authority (RSA) already threatened to resign if politicians obstructed his battle to cut carnage on the roads.
    In an unprecedented attack yesterday, Mr Byrne branded the cameras' situation "disgraceful and completely unacceptable", and warned he was "getting angrier and angrier by the hour" at the refusal by the department to bankroll a system that would save lives.
    Mr Byrne has written several formal letters to Transport Minister Noel Dempsey, the latest over the weekend, complaining about the unacceptable delay.
    "My latest letter to the Minister for Transport would have arrived on his desk this morning and I reminded him again of my concerns in this matter," he said.
    Speaking to the Irish Independent yesterday, Mr Byrne said he was not prepared to publicy state his intention to resign. But in an ominous statement, he said it was " a very grave situation" and pointed out that matters "would have to be reviewed" if the money was not approved.
    "I am getting more and more angry by the hour, and so is my board," he said.
    His latest letter on behalf of the RSA board coincided with a black weekend on the roads, in which eight people lost their lives.
    Yesterday, Taoiseach Bertie Ahern said it was terrible to hear of so many fatalities -- and explicitly mentioned speed.
    He said: "It is very disappointing when so much effort is being made by everybody.
    "I think most motorists . . . abide by the law and abide by the new standards; I think particularly the issues around drink driving and speed, to avoid carnage.
    "And then, in broad daylight, we seem to have some very bad accidents, but from all accounts -- and I've the same information as you -- (the accidents) seem to be centred on speed."
    Ireland currently has only three working fixed speed cameras, rotated around 20 grey box units, apart from the Garda's so-called hairdryer style cameras and mobile Gatso vans.
    The private cameras were first promised in 2002, but are not expected to be in place for at least another year.
    A Government commissioned report, meanwhile, found that a five-fold increase in speed camera detections would "reduce casualty crashes by about 21pc".
    Rollout
    The Department of Justice, which has responsibility for rolling out the private cameras, has so far not provided for the cost of the cameras in its annual budget.
    The tender process has lasted more than a year, meanwhile, with strong indications that the department will not agree to the cost, which is now estimated to be €50m.
    The tender process for the private network is almost complete, and a company earmarked for the job. But Mr Byrne said the Department of Justice "won't provide the dosh", which is now thought to be twice the original estimate.
    Funding has been described as "not an issue" by several ministers. However, it now appears that funding is indeed an issue.
    Mr Byrne sad yesterday: "We were promised these (600 privately operated cameras) would be in place in 2006, then we were promised 2007, then 2008.
    "There has been nothing but delay after delay after delay and [the Department of Justice] are not providing the dosh. This is the one thing that will save lives," he added.
    Mr Byrne said it was only when the network of cameras was rolled out and motorists started getting photographs of their cars and notifications about fines and penalty points that they would get the message on speeding. Ireland had a terrible culture of speeding.
    A separate Garda contract, meanwhile, remains unfilled almost one year after it was announced -- involving eight Gatso-style vans.
    A Department of Justice spokesperson said yesterday the procurement process for an outsourced speed camera network was underway.
    - Treacy Hogan Environment Correspondent

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its exactly what we would expect, no? All words, no action from a Minsiter.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Same tired old retheroic of focusing on speed and speed alone. No mention of all the other aspects that cause accidents, or the fact that 'speed' can be a factor in an accident and the person may not be breaking the speed limit. They are two different things. The UK has already proved that while small numbers of speed cameras save lives, large numbers decrease the focus on actual policing and increase road deaths. 600 speed cameras is far too many IMO. Whats the bet they'll all be on nice long straight roads with limits far too low?:rolleyes: Change the record Gaybo, try focusing on some of the other aspects of road accidents.

He was right to point out that the government promised something as policy and has not delivered.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    He was right to point out that the government promised something as policy and has not delivered.

Mike.

Well lets be honest there is no surprise there. They promised the world before the election. Now with another 4 1/2 years to another election they can do what they like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

If Gaybo went I'd consider it a good day's work, I'd even vote for FF if they shafted him! He is as bad at this job as he was good on the telly.

At the end of the day, if the Government was hoping to use him as someone who might change our behaviour then they've failed miserably, everytime I hear the crap Uncle gaybo spews out I want to drive faster and faster.

The government has finally gotten round to it's great idea of changing some of our dual carriageways to Motorways(they recently published a list of the roads they plan on changing to Motorway, basically they want to change most of the Dual Carriageways that will be there from 2010 from Dublin to Galway, Cork, Limerick and Waterford, so you would have at long long last a Motorway practically all the way from Dublin to these ciities as well as Kilkenny(Kilkenny is on the main Dublin-Waterford road)), thereby giving a higher default speed limit of 120 km/h, all we need is people like him to put a stop to this wonderful idea because speed kills don't you know:rolleyes:.

• Advertisement

He would'nt do that though, (not sure why I'm pointing this out) the RSA job is to keep the government honest and engender a cultural shift, not make the laws.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

E92 wrote: »
    If Gaybo went I'd consider it a good day's work, I'd even vote for FF if they shafted him! He is as bad at this job as he was good on the telly.

At the end of the day, if the Government was hoping to use him as someone who might change our behaviour then they've failed miserably, everytime I hear the crap Uncle gaybo spews out I want to drive faster and faster.

The government has finally gotten round to it's great idea of changing some of our dual carriageways to Motorways(they recently published a list of the roads they plan on changing to Motorway, basically they want to change most of the Dual Carriageways that will be there from 2010 from Dublin to Galway, Cork, Limerick and Waterford, so you would have at long long last a Motorway practically all the way from Dublin to these ciities as well as Kilkenny(Kilkenny is on the main Dublin-Waterford road)), thereby giving a higher default speed limit of 120 km/h, all we need is people like him to put a stop to this wonderful idea because speed kills don't you know:rolleyes:.

Sounds great but you're probably just going to be charged to go 20 km/h faster on a road we already have. Roadworks ahead - expect major tolls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I must say I enjoyed what Gaybo had to say, especially given that we know what the RSA said so recently on Today FM(which I'm dying to hear if anyone would be so kind as to link me to it):

Today FM archive a lot of their shows on their website, if you know what date and what show you may be able to find it!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Ta me anseo

astraboy wrote: »
    The UK has already proved that while small numbers of speed cameras save lives, large numbers decrease the focus on actual policing and increase road deaths.

That's just bollox. Take your head out of the fupping sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

He was on Matt Cooper show (well recorded interview) along with guy from RSA & some motoring columnist. it was bout some stat report being released based on 2006.
    As long as speed cameras are placed to reduce deaths (i.e primary & secondary roads) & not revenue generators (m1, m50 etc) & locations are made visible & public knowledge, im all for it.

• Advertisement

Keith C wrote: »
    He was on Matt Cooper show (well recorded interview) along with guy from RSA & some motoring columnist. it was bout some stat report being released based on 2006.
    As long as speed cameras are placed to reduce deaths (i.e primary & secondary roads) & not revenue generators (m1, m50 etc) & locations are made visible & public knowledge, im all for it.

Why should they all be visible? I'm in favour of visible cameras where there is an accident black spot but if all the cameras are advertised then you know many people will just speed where there are none, and slow down when near a camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Only in Ireland would they appoint an attention seeking media has-been (after all, hasn't he supposedly retired at least once already?) head of "Road Safety", and then try to convince us that he's qualified to lecture others on their driving ability. :rolleyes:

As for this "cameras will save lives" rhetoric, I don't think anyone is naieve enough to believe that. The only thing they'll do is increase revenue and stats, allowing the powers that be to point and claim they're working while the deaths continue on the non-M/N roads that they aren't setup on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Only in Ireland would they appoint an attention seeking media has-been (after all, hasn't he supposedly retired at least once already?) head of "Road Safety", and then try to convince us that he's qualified to lecture others on their driving ability. :rolleyes:

Ahem. Only in Ireland do we appoint a person to be head of the Road Safety body who has never taken or passed the driving test in a car.

Oh the irony of Gaybo complaining about L drivers on the road when all the L drivers in Ireland have proved their road competance just as much as himself. IE: Not at all.

For God sake, appoint someone who knows what they are talking about. Not an unproven driver who's only advice is to "Slow down". How slow Gay ? Stop altogether ?

Niall1234 wrote: »
    Ahem. Only in Ireland do we appoint a person to be head of the Road Safety body who has never taken or passed the driving test in a car.

Oh the irony of Gaybo complaining about L drivers on the road when all the L drivers in Ireland have proved their road competance just as much as himself. IE: Not at all.

For God sake, appoint someone who knows what they are talking about. Not an unproven driver who's only advice is to "Slow down". How slow Gay ? Stop altogether ?

I'm normally the first one to jump on the Gay bashing band wagon. (Please don't quote that out of context:rolleyes::rolleyes:) But apparently in the face of all the criticism of him not having passed the test, he took a driving test and an advanced driving test.

Still as a young male driver some of the things he says really grind my gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

'..road safety supremo Gay Byrne'

stopped right there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

javaboy wrote: »
    I'm normally the first one to jump on the Gay bashing band wagon. (Please don't quote that out of context:rolleyes::rolleyes:) But apparently in the face of all the criticism of him not having passed the test, he took a driving test and an advanced driving test.

Still as a young male driver some of the things he says really grind my gears.

I was under the impression that the only test he's ever passed is for a Motorbike class due to the Harley he received on the last Late Late Show.

He's actually right. Road deaths were falling rapidly in the UK, then they introduced speed cameras and the deaths since they were introduced are gone down by such a small amount it makes no difference. Then again when the UK's own Depertment for transport admits that speeding was responsible for 5% of the UK's road accidents this is hardly surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

javaboy wrote: »
    Why should they all be visible? I'm in favour of visible cameras where there is an accident black spot but if all the cameras are advertised then you know many people will just speed where there are none, and slow down when near a camera.

well firstly it gives the govt an oppertunity to show joe public that they're being open where cameras are being placed, which should reduce public negativity towards them as revenue generators.
    Secondly with websites such as irishspeedtraps around, locations will be disclosed fairly quickly & can be programmed into poi in sat navs anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭blackbox

nnnaaaaAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGHHH!

to annoyed right now with this cr@p to make a sensible comment.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The RSA representative, Noel Brett I think his name was, was on Matt Cooper talking about the 2006 road safety handbook that has just been published. He quoted 2% as the proportion of road fatalities where overtaking is a factor.
    Simple common sense tells you that a head on collision cannot occur without one of the vehicles on the wrong side of the road. While I accept there are a large proportion of single vehicle fatalities, the 2% figure seems incredibly low. This calls into question the quality of the data used to produce these stats and also the effectiveness of the data collection process. This therefore puts the entire report in question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

The very idea that 600 more cameras will be watching us is insane. Personally i don't think adding to the cameras will prevent accidents: picture the scene, a driver is going along at 120kph on the M1, he passes the camera and takes his eye off the road and looks into his rear view mirror to see if the camera flashed... and rear ends the car in front. this does sound dramatic, but if theres 600 people checking their rear view mirror theres 600 people not looking ahead!!
    In general i would have no problem with the cameras if the revenue generated was pumped back into road improvements, across the whole country.

No its not Bollix, its fact, as E92 kindly pointed out I'm 100% correct. The UK did notice road deaths drop when speed cameras were used correctly. After a few years they got lazy/greedy and placed them in many more spots then was necessary for road safety, and relied on them to do the policing for them. Road deaths have been rising since about the year 2000 I think.

If you really believe speed cameras are a great thing for road safety, your the clown with your head in the sand. At least I research issues before I make an opinion on them, you just take the word of the government. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

2 major accidents last weekend, killing a total of 6 people. Anybody notice what they had in common. I'm not racist but........

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

DamoDLK wrote: »
    picture the scene, a driver is going along at 120kph on the M1, he passes the camera and takes his eye off the road and looks into his rear view mirror to see if the camera flashed... and rear ends the car in front. this does sound dramatic, but if theres 600 people checking their rear view mirror theres 600 people not looking ahead!!
    If you are driving behind a car going at 120km/h then you should be far enough behind to give enough time to stop. You should also have enough visibility to be able to judge if the driver in front is going to jam on.

To be honest people here are giving out about Gaybo and the RSA for what? Gaybo is the chairman of the RSA - he is not the RSA and does not decide their policies. Gaybo may not have done a test but is he responsible for the crap givernment policy of the time? Most people posting on here dis a test that was barely much better that the one Byrne didn't do!
    The RSA's function is to create policy not decide if it should be implemented or not.
    However, if Dempsey fecks up again and makes the RSA look bad (as he did with the provisional licence fiasco) then it should be Dempsey that steps down and not Byrne (who I know promised to if he was blocked by Govt.). But because Irish politicians don't know the meaning of honour and therefore wouldn't dream of resigning I suspect Byrne will quit soon.

wilson10 wrote: »
    2 major accidents last weekend, killing a total of 6 people. Anybody notice what they had in common. I'm not racist but........

I noticed. It ain't PC to say it but I know what you mean and I agree with what I know you're trying to imply.

It only takes a second to happen tho...

I noticed. It ain't PC to say it but I know what you mean and I agree with what I know you're trying to imply.

Sure theres not much that can be done about the situation?, well unless measures are introduced to ban left hand drive cars from the road? ideas anyone??

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think they were referring to the fact that the licence holders cannot get points, etc?

kbannon wrote: »
    I think they were referring to the fact that the licence holders cannot get points, etc?

This is also true yes. i would imagine it would require Europe to Legislate to facilitate that change though. It's probably not in the hands of the Irish Govt.?

• Advertisement

This thread is in danger of taking a dodgy turn - the number of fatalities involving "dem foreigners" is pretty much in proportion to the number of "dem foreigners" living here. 12% v 10%

Mike.

Advertisement