Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This made me smile - For the love of God do what you say Gaybo and go!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

DamoDLK wrote: »
    Sure theres not much that can be done about the situation?, well unless measures are introduced to ban left hand drive cars from the road? ideas anyone??

I would have you know that I've been driving a LHD vehicle in some shape or form for over ten years now on these roads ...never was an issue, never had so much as close call because of the LHD, never mind an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

The car whose driver caused 4 of those fatalities was a right hand drive hire car. I don't think the car has much to do with it. I believe it's a question of attitude.

I don't know the figures but I really believe that there is a higher proportion of non Irish involved in accidents. They don't all obviously and thankfully die but in many cases they can be the cause of accidents, fatal or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

peasant wrote: »
    I would have you know that I've been driving a LHD vehicle in some shape or form for over ten years now on these roads ...never was an issue, never had so much as close call because of the LHD, never mind an accident.

Firstly i'm not claiming to have any knowledge of statistics re LHD vehicles. It was a mere observation or suggestion to a possible cause which may well be a number of other factors [age, experience, attitude as mentioned by wilson10]. Secondly, such a radical move (a ban) would be met with uproar! I agree with other comments that it is down to individual driver attitudes and i know its not the LHD vehicles!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

mike65 wrote: »
    This thread is in danger of taking a dodgy turn - the number of fatalities involving "dem foreigners" is pretty much in proportion to the number of "dem foreigners" living here. 12% v 10%

Mike.
    Disagree - 8 deaths last w'end, 4 of them non nationals.

I know many "dem forriners" and their attitude is - can't get points so why not. I know a guy who regularly drives home pi$$ed and has been stopped many times (in a LHD car) - the guards can't be ar$ed walking around the car to challenge him!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In fairness, one weekend doesn't reflect proper statistics.
    How many so far in 2008? How many in 2007?

As for the gardai not being bothered? Why wouldn't they be? Have you made contact with their superiors if you know they are allowing this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Gay Byrne is loosing credibility in my eyes each day he stays in this thanksless job. He said on taking up the role that he would RESIGN immediately if there was ANY obsticles in the way of him performing his duties.

Well.............theres' been Delay, after Delay........after Delay......

Gay, if you read this (tho' I doubt it), just RESIGN and be a man of your word.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Ta me anseo

Right this is it. After this post I'm getting out of this discussion because it's winding me up so much.

To quote Swinging Looney from another post:
    You became dangerous the second you started moving. You're right in saying that it's not SPEEDING that causes accidents or deaths. It's simply speed itself.

Which I think is the most sensible thing that has been said about this topic. You can not crash a stationary car. You can not kill a pedestrian if you are not moving. Most people here seem to be confusing speeding with speed. When an authority say that 5% of accidents were attributable to speed, you really mean speeding. 5% involved people breaking the speed limit. ALL ACCIDENTS AND ROAD DEATHS SINCE THE AUTOMOBILE WAS INVENTED HAVE INVOLVED SPEED.

As for whether you think speed cameras should be introduced on a wide scale here, I can only think of the US. Having lived in Florida for a while, I distinctly remember that outside schools there was a temporary 20mph limit. Flashing lights came on to tell you it was active about an hour either side of let them loose time. EVERY SINGLE DRIVER THAT I EVER SAW PASSING THOSE SCHOOLS DID EXACTLY 20MPH. WHY? BECAUSE THERE WERE SPEED CAMERAS EVERYWHERE.

So many seem to think they should be allowed set their own speed limits. Answer yourself this question:

Extensive research has proven that the difference between 20 and 30 mph during a collision with a child can be the difference between minor injuries and death. There were some good ads on telly here recently highlighting this, so most people know it to be fact. Now, think of your local school and ask yourself what speed you normally do when you pass it? What speed do you think the average person does when they pass it? I would put my house on the fact that nobody voluntarily does 20 mph. Why? Because they can legally get away with doing the speed limit instead.

On the old N1 not far from blakes cross there is a small primary school. The main road has a 50 mph limit. (Used to be 60) Every single person I have seen passing there does 50 or 60 on that stretch. Hit a kid at that speed and it's instant death and probably dismemberment. The argument that we are all capable of determining the appropriate speed is utter rubbish. Those posting here may genuinely be capable and skillful enough to stay safe and drive at safe speeds all the time. But surely you all must agree that the general population is not. THAT IS WHY WE NEED SPEED LIMITS AND SPEED CAMERAS. TO STOP THE FEW STUPID PEOPLE WHO ARE TOO IGNORANT AND SELFISH TO STICK TO THE LIMITS OR DRIVE SAFELY.

And before you say it: what we really need is sensible speed limits - like 30kmh outside schools from 8am to 9:30am and from 2:30 to 4:30pm. And back roads with speed limits of 50 or 60kmh. That is the priority. Incidentally, increasing speed limits is entirely unnecessary. So many would prefer to see some dual carriageway increased 60 to 80kmh before they would want a 30kmh limit on their main street. Then, after all the lmits are adjusted, put speed cameras absolutely everywhere.

The argument that speed cameras have increased deaths in the UK is actually bollox. Your arguments are so ridiculously narrow minded that it's not funny. The number of road deaths may well have increased for the past few years. But you have taken no account whatsoever that the population has been growing immensely quickly for a long time and the number of vehicles on the road is increasing exponentially. What is really relevant - and I might add not reported - is the percentage of deaths when compared to the average number of individual road trips. I guarantee you that that number has decreased. Any fool can see that if 400 people were killed on our roads this year, 400 next year, 400 the year after that and after that too, while the number of cars on the road and kilometers of tarmac doubled, then the roads have actually become hugely safer statistically.

Saying speed cameras cause deaths is like saying: A person on my road had cancer. There are 7 black cars parked on my road. Therefore I conclude that black cars cause cancer. RIDICULOUS!

Speed is the main component of road safety over which we have immediate control. Better training and safer road design and all that may come with time but would be impossible to implement quickly. Reduced speed will reduce deaths.

Fire requires three elements to occur. Fuel, Oxygen and Heat. To prevent forest fires should we A) Cut down the forest. B) Chemically attempt to remove all traces of Oxygen from the area or C) Try to highlight and stop people from providing a heat source by playing with matches, smoking, lighting campfires etc, etc. This whole speed vs training vs skill vs technology argument is the same idiotic attempt by so many to pretend they are the best drivers on the planet and simply need free reign to make the roads safer.

Speed is item C) above. It is the only sensible and far reaching campaign that can possibly get through to the majority of drivers in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    The only thing they'll do is increase revenue

Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but if speed cameras really will increase revenue, why aren't the Government stumping up the cash to put them in place? If there really was this huge expected revenue return, wouldn't the investment be worth it (from a purely financial point of view)?

Or is it that now that the estimated cost of the roll out has now doubled to €50m, it's not looking so financially attractive any more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

stevec wrote: »
    Disagree - 8 deaths last w'end, 4 of them non nationals.

I know many "dem forriners" and their attitude is - can't get points so why not. I know a guy who regularly drives home pi$$ed and has been stopped many times (in a LHD car) - the guards can't be ar$ed walking around the car to challenge him!!

Not saying there is'nt a problem, I'm saying its not disproportional - like I said in my post 10% of the state population is foreign and 12% of the fatalites are foreign - not such a disconnect esp as many are driving LHD cars!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

As for whether you think speed cameras should be introduced on a wide scale here, I can only think of the US. Having lived in Florida for a while, I distinctly remember that outside schools there was a temporary 20mph limit. Flashing lights came on to tell you it was active about an hour either side of let them loose time. EVERY SINGLE DRIVER THAT I EVER SAW PASSING THOSE SCHOOLS DID EXACTLY 20MPH. WHY? BECAUSE THERE WERE SPEED CAMERAS EVERYWHERE.
    I think most people with camera issues here, myself for example, would have no problem with this type of thing. In fact if you check my posts on the subject you will find a couple of points that I bring up again and again. The first of which is I do not think cameras should be hidden and the second is I despise speeding in a built up area. The reason people slowed down to 20 is because they *knew* cameras were there and that they would get caught if they were speeding.

So many seem to think they should be allowed set their own speed limits. Answer yourself this question:
    Some posters may think this but they would be in the minority I believe.

Extensive research has proven that the difference between 20 and 30 mph during a collision with a child can be the difference between minor injuries and death. There were some good ads on telly here recently highlighting this, so most people know it to be fact. Now, think of your local school and ask yourself what speed you normally do when you pass it? What speed do you think the average person does when they pass it? I would put my house on the fact that nobody voluntarily does 20 mph. Why? Because they can legally get away with doing the speed limit instead.
    Again, I think you are more or less preaching to the converted here. I doubt you will find many here arguing with you about the validity of speed limits in a built up area, particularly outside a school.
    On the old N1 not far from blakes cross there is a small primary school. The main road has a 50 mph limit. (Used to be 60) Every single person I have seen passing there does 50 or 60 on that stretch. Hit a kid at that speed and it's instant death and probably dismemberment. The argument that we are all capable of determining the appropriate speed is utter rubbish. Those posting here may genuinely be capable and skillful enough to stay safe and drive at safe speeds all the time. But surely you all must agree that the general population is not. THAT IS WHY WE NEED SPEED LIMITS AND SPEED CAMERAS. TO STOP THE FEW STUPID PEOPLE WHO ARE TOO IGNORANT AND SELFISH TO STICK TO THE LIMITS OR DRIVE SAFELY.
    I agree with you. Most drivers are not capable of determining the appropriate speed for a particular stretch of road. I am sure if you stopped drivers many of them would probably not even have realised that there was a school there. To be honest, if you do not want traffic passing a school at 50 then don’t set the limit at 50. Seems quite simple to me.

And before you say it: what we really need is sensible speed limits - like 30kmh outside schools from 8am to 9:30am and from 2:30 to 4:30pm. And back roads with speed limits of 50 or 60kmh. That is the priority. Incidentally, increasing speed limits is entirely unnecessary. So many would prefer to see some dual carriageway increased 60 to 80kmh before they would want a 30kmh limit on their main street. Then, after all the lmits are adjusted, put speed cameras absolutely everywhere.
    I would not agree that increasing speed limits is unnecessary, I think in some cases they should increase. That said, if I were in charge, increasing limits would be down my list slightly. I would be more interested in decreasing inappropriate limits and generally trying to improve road safety. This would not be achieved by placing cameras absolutely everywhere, though I would use a lot of cameras.

The argument that speed cameras have increased deaths in the UK is actually bollox. Your arguments are so ridiculously narrow minded that it's not funny. The number of road deaths may well have increased for the past few years. But you have taken no account whatsoever that the population has been growing immensely quickly for a long time and the number of vehicles on the road is increasing exponentially. What is really relevant - and I might add not reported - is the percentage of deaths when compared to the average number of individual road trips. I guarantee you that that number has decreased. Any fool can see that if 400 people were killed on our roads this year, 400 next year, 400 the year after that and after that too, while the number of cars on the road and kilometers of tarmac doubled, then the roads have actually become hugely safer statistically.

Saying speed cameras cause deaths is like saying: A person on my road had cancer. There are 7 black cars parked on my road. Therefore I conclude that black cars cause cancer. RIDICULOUS!
    Actually it is not a ridiculous as you might think. If you look at the statistics you will find that areas which have embraced the safety camera partnership model have, for the most part, seen an increase in deaths and injuries. There are a number of counties that ditched this model and went back to good old fashion policing, they have seen a decrease in the same. Have a look at www.safespeed.org , quite an interesting site.

Here is a nice quote from the chief motorcycle observer from my IAM group, he is an ex-motorcycle cop with Thames Valley Police. He is commenting on a report about road tax evasion by motorcyclist, but his comments on cameras are, I think, very vadil:
    Rod wrote:
    First of all I am always sceptical of figures produced by Government, I have witnessed first hand how they are initiated, collected and compiled. Secondly maybe some motorcyclists are fed up with paying tax when the standard of roads are getting poorer and poorer (not that I condone this at all you understand). In the report it made reference that „the problem is that cameras have difficulty in recording motorcycles because the forward facing cameras cannot record the details[FONT=&quot]‟[/FONT]. Perhaps one day they will catch onto the fact that cameras don[FONT=&quot]‟[/FONT]t detect drunk/drugged or dangerous/reckless driver either.
    Speed is the main component of road safety over which we have immediate control. Better training and safer road design and all that may come with time but would be impossible to implement quickly. Reduced speed will reduce deaths.
    It is also something that the government can lay squarely at the feet of the driver and wash then hands of any further action. It is a very convenient cop out for them. Blame speed, even when their own figures don’t support their claims, and do nothing else.

Fire requires three elements to occur. Fuel, Oxygen and Heat. To prevent forest fires should we A) Cut down the forest. B) Chemically attempt to remove all traces of Oxygen from the area or C) Try to highlight and stop people from providing a heat source by playing with matches, smoking, lighting campfires etc, etc. This whole speed vs training vs skill vs technology argument is the same idiotic attempt by so many to pretend they are the best drivers on the planet and simply need free reign to make the roads safer.

Speed is item C) above. It is the only sensible and far reaching campaign that can possibly get through to the majority of drivers in this country.
    Not it isn’t. Proper policing of the roads will reduce the other things that are actually causing the bulk of death on the roads. Inappropriate speed, reckless driving within the posted limits, dangerous overtaking within the speed limits are all causes of deaths on the roads. In fact according to the RSA statistics account for more death that speeding. The problem is, cameras won’t detect it, only proper policing will. The problem with that is that policing costs money. Sticking a camera on the safest road in the country and fining people doing 130 on the way to the airport does nothing for road safety. All it does is raise a few quid and give the government some st1tty statistics to convince fcuking retards that they are serious about road safety.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I'm living in Holland and driving a RHD car.

I wouldn't say driving a car with the steering wheel on the other side is an issue at all. The only problems it poses is at the drive thru, in Mc Donalds, Toll Gates and Multi Storey car parks.

Other than that if your used to driving on the left side of the road your as likely to make a mistake in a LHD as a RHD, your used to the side of the road your on, not the side of the car.

RE: Speed Cameras.

I think they do reduce speed, they do here anyway. Alot of Expats come over and bomb around safe in the knowledge that they wont get the fines in the post. As soon as they register or buy a car here .. BAM .. hundreds of euros of fines. They slow down pretty quickly and thats without penalty points (even for dutch drivers)

The cameras here take your average speed on a 10 - 15 km stretch of road, so you have to maintain a speed below the limit. For people thinking you can boot it and then slow down toward the end or worse, park. Doing this will get you a hefty fine also if stopped by the cops.

I do get the impression that the majority of people speeding here are foreign drivers from Germany, Belgium and the UK/Ireland (Including me). But thats all changing soon, their introducing a collaboration between the UK and the Schengen countries, according to the Authorities here though, Ireland is excluded because they cannot integrate with their systems.

I don't think speed kills, i think with the amount of cars on the road the chances are alot higher that something will go wrong, excessive speed makes it go ALOT more wrong if theres a mistake.

Also, if you have anything wrong with your car, i.e. blown bulb, or something on the car that makes it non-roadworthy. If you cannot fix it at the roadside when stopped that car is towed away at your expense, its a real incentive to have a spare set of bulbs in the car!

Even the Germans are introducing limits on the Autobahn soon, because when there is a crash .. its bloody horrific.

I passed one on the way to Cologne, the traffic was backed up for about 10km and at the scene of the crash the vehicles were un-recognisable. The emergency services hadn't even started to open the cars up yet (most car wrecks you see in Ireland are after they've cut the roof off)

All in all, speed cameras are good IMO, on the motorway anyway. Its dangerous for police to stop people on the motorway.

But thats all changing soon, their introducing a collaboration between the UK and the Schengen countries, according to the Authorities here though, Ireland is excluded because they cannot integrate with their systems.

*shakes the old head*

Mike.

craichoe wrote: »
    I

Even the Germans are introducing limits on the Autobahn soon, because when there is a crash .. its bloody horrific.
    My understanding is that this is a result of environmental pressures more than anything else.

MrP

MrPudding wrote: »
    My understanding is that this is a result of environmental pressures more than anything else.

MrP

The EU are pushing it for Enviromental issues (fuel usage and emissions), Local Government is pushing it for road safety.

It is true through. I only get 20-25MPG in a 1.9 TDI on the Autobahn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

MR P as ever you are the voice of reason! For the record I have no problem with cameras outside schools etc. In fact I think its a great idea. I don't like the constant "won't someone think of the children" bull****, you won't find kids playing soccer on a dual carriageway or motorway, and these are the safest roads in the country, yet I'd wager this is where we will see so many of our "Safety" cameras. These roads could have limits raised safety. As for the dangerous backroads, I doubt we'll see cameras on these any time soon.

Ta me Anseo, I do agree with many of your points, but I will point out again, as other posters have also said, that areas with speed camera partnerships in the UK have seen increases in road deaths, while those that used cameras where appropriate combined with PROPER POLICING have seen road deaths fall. Explain that one. You'll probably just trot out the same bull**** about how all cameras save lives when many of them are just a cash cow.

People fail to realize road safety is not all about beating drivers into submission. Its about education so drivers can make conscious, informed decisions about their speed according to the road, conditions, the car they are driving and traffic. People also don't realize that a stern warning from a cop can do just the same as points and a fine. Of course the points and fine look good for the Government stats, the quite word in through the drivers window won't be recorded but may actually make the driver think more about their actions on the roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The EU are pushing it for Enviromental issues (fuel usage and emissions), Local Government is pushing it for road safety.

It is true through. I only get 20-25MPG in a 1.9 TDI on the Autobahn.

The German Government is totally opposed to blanket speed limits on the Autobahn. The car lobby is extremely powerful in Germany, so there WILL NOT be blanket speed limits for some time yet. The German Chancellor has ruled out blanket speed limits time and time again. 1 in 7 Germans is somoehow dependent on the car industry for income. There would be therefore serious economic consequences for a lot of Germans if the blanket speed limit was introduced. That and the fact that a lot of German car makers are offering expensive cars in some cases with serious amounts of power. There are even companies in Germany that offer car driving holidays, basically go to Germany to get the chance to drive flat out perfectly legally. So there would be consequences for tourism as well. Don't forget that Germany is Europes most powerful economy so it's not like this is all a drop in the ocean.

The average speed on German Autobahns without a speed limit is 150 km/h. The saving in CO2 from having blanket speed limits is said to be just 2.5 million tonnes a year. We pollute 70 million tonnes every year, or 0.6% of the world's CO2, so the enviornmental argument for blanket limits as you can see is rubbish. Even the proponants of blanket speed limits in Germany admit all having blanket limits would do is be "symbolic".

And there are massive pile ups on Motorway whenever a crash occurs, speed limit or no speed limit. In case anyone thinks that Aurtobahnen without a speed limit are more dangerous than those with a speed limit, can they explain to me why they are no more dangerous according to the German Government than those with a speed limit?

Th reason half of German Autobahns already have a speed limit is very simple really: about 1/3rd-40% of the Autobahns have blanket speed limits because there is so much traffic on the roads e.g. ring roads like the equivalent to the M50, so anything higher than say 130 km/h would be impossible to achieve even if there was no limit.

The remainder of Autobahns with a speed limit have them because the roads are being resurfaced.

Gaybo is on Newstalk right now.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I don't think anyone is opposed to low speed limits outside of schools. I think it is a great idea, but anyone who has an ounce of common sense knows that you must drive slowly outside a school when the school is in session. I would even welcome lower speed limits ouside schools and speed cameras.

What I am arguing is the constant nonsense about "speed kills". If speed kills then 500 mph aeroplanes would crash all the time.

Gay Byrne said that the carnage on the roads at the weekend "illustrated elequently the need for speed cameras". How?

I saw the picture of the cars on the Dublin-Limerick road, I know they must have been going at speed, but how does Gay know that they were exceeding the speed limit? I actually would like to know what speed the cars were going at.

What the tradgey at the weekend did show was the need to have better roads urgently. If the Government had delivered on it's promise and had the Motorways from Dublin to Limerick and the other cities completed in 2006, then the sad truth of the matter is that this accident would never have happened. The Government really needs to make sure that there are no more delays on building these expensive but extremely worthwhile high quality roads. As I say, this tradgey would never have happened if the Government had delivered on it's promises.

E92 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is opposed to low speed limits outside of schools. I think it is a great idea, but anyone who has an ounce of common sense knows that you must drive slowly outside a school when the school is in session. I would even welcome lower speed limits ouside schools and speed cameras.

What I am arguing is the constant nonsense about "speed kills". If speed kills then 500 mph aeroplanes would crash all the time.

Gay Byrne said that the carnage on the roads at the weekend "illustrated elequently the need for speed cameras". How?

I saw the picture of the cars on the Dublin-Limerick road, I know they must have been going at speed, but how does Gay know that they were exceeding the speed limit? I actually would like to know what speed the cars were going at.

What the tradgey at the weekend did show was the need to have better roads urgently. If the Government had delivered on it's promise and had the Motorways from Dublin to Limerick and the other cities completed in 2006, then the sad truth of the matter is that this accident would never have happened. The Government really needs to make sure that there are no more delays on building these expensive but extremely worthwhile high quality roads. As I say, this tradgey would never have happened if the Government had delivered on it's promises.

Well said. It comes back to the point that road safety is not all about the "Evil" of speed, but is far far more complex then people just obeying the speed limit(which is all the cameras will enforce.) So you can tear down a dangerous backroad at 79Kph when its totally inappropiate and not be caught by the camera, you can do 99Kph around a bad corner on a national secondary route and not be caught by a camera, but you might do a very safe 130Kph on a motorway and be fined, given points and added as a statistic as another driver caught speeding and therefore helping road safety. It bull**** of the highest order and makes my blood boil.

By reducing road safety to stupid sound bites about speed the RSA and the Government are making a farce of road safety.

Another point. Back in the 1970's over 700 people a year were being killed on the roads! So we can see that even though cars today are faster, and there are far far more cars on the road road deaths have been hugely reduced by improved roads, safer cars, and a reduction in drink driving.

E92 wrote: »
    The German Government is totally opposed to blanket speed limits on the Autobahn. The car lobby is extremely powerful in Germany, so there WILL NOT be blanket speed limits for some time yet. The German Chancellor has ruled out blanket speed limits time and time again. 1 in 7 Germans is somoehow dependent on the car industry for income. There would be therefore serious economic consequences for a lot of Germans if the blanket speed limit was introduced. That and the fact that a lot of German car makers are offering expensive cars in some cases with serious amounts of power. There are even companies in Germany that offer car driving holidays, basically go to Germany to get the chance to drive flat out perfectly legally. So there would be consequences for tourism as well. Don't forget that Germany is Europes most powerful economy so it's not like this is all a drop in the ocean.

The average speed on German Autobahns without a speed limit is 150 km/h. The saving in CO2 from having blanket speed limits is said to be just 2.5 million tonnes a year. We pollute 70 million tonnes every year, or 0.6% of the world's CO2, so the enviornmental argument for blanket limits as you can see is rubbish. Even the proponants of blanket speed limits in Germany admit all having blanket limits would do is be "symbolic".

And there are massive pile ups on Motorway whenever a crash occurs, speed limit or no speed limit. In case anyone thinks that Aurtobahnen without a speed limit are more dangerous than those with a speed limit, can they explain to me why they are no more dangerous according to the German Government than those with a speed limit?

Th reason half of German Autobahns already have a speed limit is very simple really: about 1/3rd-40% of the Autobahns have blanket speed limits because there is so much traffic on the roads e.g. ring roads like the equivalent to the M50, so anything higher than say 130 km/h would be impossible to achieve even if there was no limit.

The remainder of Autobahns with a speed limit have them because the roads are being resurfaced.

I said Local Government, Cologne and Frankfurt have a 120kph limit for a reason.

This depends on the region, down in the south of Germany, yes there is alot of Autobahn that has no speed limit, however up toward the North theres not actually that much at all. Speed limit is 120kp/h on speed limited Autobahn then 80 or 100 on roads that are being resurfaced. Not just on the ring roads either.

Even though there is technically no limit, the Police can still pull you if they believe you were going excessively fast.

My point is if someone crashes doing 280kph, it doesnt matter what they hit, no amount of safety features are going to save you.

i.e. More speed increases the possibility of death in the event of an accident and accidents do happen.

Even if there is no speed limit you still have some guy taking the p*ss doing 250 - 300 kph

• Advertisement

astraboy wrote: »
    Well said. It comes back to the point that road safety is not all about the "Evil" of speed, but is far far more complex then people just obeying the speed limit(which is all the cameras will enforce.) So you can tear down a dangerous backroad at 79Kph when its totally inappropiate and not be caught by the camera, you can do 99Kph around a bad corner on a national secondary route and not be caught by a camera, but you might do a very safe 130Kph on a motorway and be fined, given points and added as a statistic as another driver caught speeding and therefore helping road safety. It bull**** of the highest order and makes my blood boil.

Well on pulling you in on a normal road is safe compared to a motorway, pulling you over in the hard should with cars travelling at 120kph is dangerous. Hence why the camera is there to give you a fine, its not about saving the police time.

You COULD travel down a dangerous backroad at 79kph, but if you get caught you would get done for dangerous driving.

Well on pulling you in on a normal road is safe compared to a motorway, pulling you over in the hard should with cars travelling at 120kph is dangerous. Hence why the camera is there to give you a fine, its not about saving the police time.

You COULD travel down a dangerous backroad at 79kph, but if you get caught you would get done for dangerous driving.
    Yes, but the point is people are not. A speed camera detects and punished speed in excess of the posted limit. It does not detect people driving at an inappropriate speed or people driving dangerously. ONly coppers on the ground can currectly get those.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

No one person is against road safety. Speed cameras should be visable and positioned in the correct areas and most of all..........

Gaybo should quit. IMHO.
    :p

Yes, but the point is people are not. A speed camera detects and punished speed in excess of the posted limit. It does not detect people driving at an inappropriate speed or people driving dangerously. ONly coppers on the ground can currectly get those.

MrP

Yes, and my point is coppers on the motorway pulling people for speed is not feasible, its dangerous because they have to stop them on the motorway. The cameras are there to do that job, the driver gets a fine

Anyone can drive at an inappropriate speed at anytime anywhere. In a motorway situation, there is alot more people driving at high speed. A crash at high speed can equal a massive pile up.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Ta me anseo

Breaking my own promise not to post again......
    People also don't realize that a stern warning from a cop can do just the same as points and a fine. Of course the points and fine look good for the Government stats, the quite word in through the drivers window won't be recorded but may actually make the driver think more about their actions on the roads.

It's hard to argue with that explanation I must say. Perhaps my problem is that I feel people are completely disregarding speed cameras as a tool to reduce road deaths. I admit I am not au fait with the situation in the UK but I still strongly believe that statistics and figures can be used in any way you like. Those who are anti-camera will always find statistics to prove their point if they look hard enough. So will people like me. Nonetheless, if policing is reduced and cameras are put in their place then I can understand how the situation could worsen and dangerous driving go undetected. All the same, in this country right now, we have absolutely no policing whatsoever.

Just one hour ago, on a long, straight stretch of road near my village, where the limit was recently reduced to 50kmh because it runs in front of a school, there was the usual line of tailgating cars doing 80kmh. In the middle of them, not 3 car lengths from the car in front was a Garda car.

I admit that obviously better policing is necessary and would yield better results than cameras ever could. But in Ireland, with the complete apathy that the Gardai show when it comes to road safety, would you not agree that a nationwide rollout of speed cameras would improve the situation we are currently in?

I am coming around to understand the general concensus here I think. I suppose I misunderstood the direction of the initial posts and I apologise if I seemed to be talking down to anyone. :( However, as much as I can not stand Gaybo, I do not remember who preceeded him. Nor do I ever remember any other RSA official giving any worthwhile or noteworthy announcements, statements or interviews or bringing road safety to the forefront as Gaybo has done recently. Whether his views are correct or not, he has prompted discussions like this and has people talking about it in the pub. That can't be a bad thing.

I did say a certain amount of speed cameras would probably reduce road deaths, but they are planning on putting up 600 of them, which is excessive and ridiculous. As you said we barely have any policing on the roads beyond the "cop behind the bush" shooting fish in a barrel type approach. Now they are just going to put more reliance on cameras instead of proper policing and the focus will remain on speed and speed alone as the road safety factor. I would have no problem with cameras per se if everything else had been done about road safety.

From what I see camera implementation is a handy approach to make the Government look likes its taking action on road safety and a nice way to reap in fines and push up the points stats.

Yes, and my point is coppers on the motorway pulling people for speed is not feasible, its dangerous because they have to stop them on the motorway. The cameras are there to do that job, the driver gets a fine

Anyone can drive at an inappropriate speed at anytime anywhere. In a motorway situation, there is alot more people driving at high speed. A crash at high speed can equal a massive pile up.
    But a crash is a lot less likely to happen on the motorway. If you look at the numbers killed on the motorway and compare to the other roads you will find that they are, by far, the safest.

I agree, if you want to catch people speeding on motorways then a camera is the way to do. The point is I, and a lot of posters on this board that are actually interested in reducing death on the road, do not feel that punishing drivers for going over the limit on a very safe road is necessarily the way to reduce deaths.
    Breaking my own promise not to post again......

It's hard to argue with that explanation I must say. Perhaps my problem is that I feel people are completely disregarding speed cameras as a tool to reduce road deaths.
    I do not disregard speed cameras. i hate the way they are used for revenue generation with little regard to actually improving road safety. I believe that speed cameras should be used to shape driver behaviour rather than try to punish each and every infraction of a speed limit.
    I admit I am not au fait with the situation in the UK but I still strongly believe that statistics and figures can be used in any way you like.
    Agreed. For example the government and the RSA keep telling us that speed is the number one killer. They don't even bother to fudge the figures, if you look at the figures the RSA publish themselves you will see this is not the case.
    Those who are anti-camera will always find statistics to prove their point if they look hard enough. So will people like me.
    It is really quite simple. Number incidents, deaths & injuries before camera partnership and compare with numbers afterwards. The figures are complied from the various counties own records and usually show an increase. Hard to twist, and besides, there really is no need to.
    Nonetheless, if policing is reduced and cameras are put in their place then I can understand how the situation could worsen and dangerous driving go undetected. All the same, in this country right now, we have absolutely no policing whatsoever.
    Because all the government is interested in is punishing speeders. If the government suddenly decided that dangerous overtaking or dangerous driving in general was public enemy number one the gardai would change their practices, in so far as they could, accordingly.
    Just one hour ago, on a long, straight stretch of road near my village, where the limit was recently reduced to 50kmh because it runs in front of a school, there was the usual line of tailgating cars doing 80kmh. In the middle of them, not 3 car lengths from the car in front was a Garda car.
    So put cameras there....
    I admit that obviously better policing is necessary and would yield better results than cameras ever could.
    Not nessecarily. As I said earlier, cameras can be used to shape driver behaviour. You cannot expect gardai to be posted 24/7 at an accident blackspot, but you could have 2 cameras.
    But in Ireland, with the complete apathy that the Gardai show when it comes to road safety, would you not agree that a nationwide rollout of speed cameras would improve the situation we are currently in?
    I do believe that the gardai do not, in some cases, do themselves any favours. But at the same time, I think the government often does not help. A nationwide rollout of cameras rolled out in the correct way would. I have my doubts as to how well and, therefore, how effectively they will roll them out.
    I did say a certain amount of speed cameras would probably reduce road deaths, but they are planning on putting up 600 of them, which is excessive and ridiculous.
    600 would be great if they were put in the correct place. We will probably get about 590 on the motorways around Dublin and the rest scattered around.
    As you said we barely have any policing on the roads beyond the "cop behind the bush" shooting fish in a barrel type approach. Now they are just going to put more reliance on cameras instead of proper policing and the focus will remain on speed and speed alone as the road safety factor. I would have no problem with cameras per se if everything else had been done about road safety.

From what I see camera implementation is a handy approach to make the Government look likes its taking action on road safety and a nice way to reap in fines and push up the points stats.
    Unfortunately this is the problem. If they placed them correctly and complemented them with a properly thought out policing and education campaign, they could actually dramatically reduce deaths.

But a crash is a lot less likely to happen on the motorway. If you look at the numbers killed on the motorway and compare to the other roads you will find that they are, by far, the safest.

I agree, if you want to catch people speeding on motorways then a camera is the way to do. The point is I, and a lot of posters on this board that are actually interested in reducing death on the road, do not feel that punishing drivers for going over the limit on a very safe road is necessarily the way to reduce deaths.

I do not disregard speed cameras. i hate the way they are used for revenue generation with little regard to actually improving road safety. I believe that speed cameras should be used to shape driver behaviour rather than try to punish each and every infraction of a speed limit.

Agreed. For example the government and the RSA keep telling us that speed is the number one killer. They don't even bother to fudge the figures, if you look at the figures the RSA publish themselves you will see this is not the case.

It is really quite simple. Number incidents, deaths & injuries before camera partnership and compare with numbers afterwards. The figures are complied from the various counties own records and usually show an increase. Hard to twist, and besides, there really is no need to.

Because all the government is interested in is punishing speeders. If the government suddenly decided that dangerous overtaking or dangerous driving in general was public enemy number one the gardai would change their practices, in so far as they could, accordingly.

So put cameras there....

Not nessecarily. As I said earlier, cameras can be used to shape driver behaviour. You cannot expect gardai to be posted 24/7 at an accident blackspot, but you could have 2 cameras.

I do believe that the gardai do not, in some cases, do themselves any favours. But at the same time, I think the government often does not help. A nationwide rollout of cameras rolled out in the correct way would. I have my doubts as to how well and, therefore, how effectively they will roll them out.

600 would be great if they were put in the correct place. We will probably get about 590 on the motorways around Dublin and the rest scattered around.

Unfortunately this is the problem. If they placed them correctly and complemented them with a properly thought out policing and education campaign, they could actually dramatically reduce deaths.

Agree with all you've said, especially the last point in bold.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

exactly. GATSO cameras on motorways are there only for one reason and im sure anyone with a clue already knows what this is.

the safest roads get all the policing while the back roads are where all the carnage is happening but theres no money to be made there i supose :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

we need to start at the source, if Bertie resigns we can then put a proper government in place to take some meangiful action againast our road carnage.

Bertie the legend has prob spent more on makeup alone in his time in charge than has been spent on road impovements around the sticks of Ireland.

of course as astraboy said our rock solid and forward thinking government bods are in charge for another 4 years, ummm
    so thats everyone screwed up then.

next.......:rolleyes:

Advertisement