Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This made me smile - For the love of God do what you say Gaybo and go!

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Unless I'm mistaken, people had the chance to put a different government (I would never define a government as 'proper'), and we have what currently vegetates in Dáil Éireann!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Speed cameras Vs. more Policing - speed cameras will win every time. Policing will have a greater effect on reducing deaths but camreas will make a profit.
    I'll admit that I have done some stupid things in years past and learned from the experience of a roasting from the cops - that changed my driving on the spot. I've never gotten a tallyvan ticket but I'd imagine that I'd be hard pressed to remember the circumstances 3 months earlier when it happened.

I've said it before here (and quoted figures) - the simple fact is that if cameras actually worked and stopped speeding, there would be no profit. Why then is the government tendering this out to private companies to operate. Surely if they believed in the system, they would assume that no private company would be interested as there would be no profit.

If I remember, France is the prime example with the most publicised, most noticable camera network yet they still haul in billions of euros each year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

yep, the gov are going ahead with it.........

from Breakinging news.ie -

Following it's weekly Cabinet meeting this morning, the Government have announced that the tender process for the rollout of a national speed camera network is at a very advanced stage.

They said that contract negotiations with the preferred bidder will get underway shortly.

This is in line with the Road Strategy policy, and is sure to be welcomed by road safety campaigners, many of whom have critced the lack of progress in this area so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

Anyone up for creating the Irish version of the Tuf Tuf Club ?

Destroy enough cameras and it becomes unprofitable. :D

This really is bad news. More Gardai of course was the answer. Speed cameras are essentially uselss, especially considering that the vast majority will be placed on Motorways and HQDC. Those placed on regional roads will be destroyed by vandalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I thought they had decided to get rid of this crazy idea a few weeks ago, no?

As an aside note tonight, did anyone look at crimecall, I looked at it for just about 30 seconds, but I did see them telling us that a car doing 35 mph would stop 21 ft later than a car doing 30 mph. Problem is that they used a Nissan Sunny from so long ago I'm not even sure I was born at the time, with no ABS and the wheels were locked up to arrive at this claim, so that is obviously absolutely outdated.

They then used an example of a pedestrian walking put onto what I think is the Stillorgan Dual Carriageway and this was supposed to be an example of what could have happened if we were driving faster(the point was that the incredibly stupid pedestrian never heard of these things called pedestrian crossings, and because the car wasn't going fast, he's still alive), of course have pedestrians ever heard of things called pedestrian crossings? You know these things that you press a button, and they often have an image of a person to look at while you wait, and then when you see this super advanced concept called a green light you put one foot in front of the other and you walk across. They even have lines on the road too, where you're supposed to walk on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

I reckon that the actual number of people with penalty points will just fly up, road fatalities will remain the same. Time will really tell i guess. hate the thoughts of the cameras being almost everywhere, primarily because there is no discretion with them, the garda may let you off if you were 2/3mph over. don't think the cameras will though...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

E92 wrote: »
    I thought they had decided to get rid of this crazy idea a few weeks ago, no?

As an aside note tonight, did anyone look at crimecall, I looked at it for just about 30 seconds, but I did see them telling us that a car doing 35 mph would stop 21 ft later than a car doing 30 mph. Problem is that they used a Nissan Sunny from so long ago I'm not even sure I was born at the time, with no ABS and the wheels were locked up to arrive at this claim, so that is obviously absolutely outdated.

They then used an example of a pedestrian walking put onto what I think is the Stillorgan Dual Carriageway and this was supposed to be an example of what could have happened if we were driving faster(the point was that the incredibly stupid pedestrian never heard of these things called pedestrian crossings, and because the car wasn't going fast, he's still alive), of course have pedestrians ever heard of things called pedestrian crossings? You know these things that you press a button, and they often have an image of a person to look at while you wait, and then when you see this super advanced concept called a green light you put one foot in front of the other and you walk across. They even have lines on the road too, where you're supposed to walk on.
    I hear what you are saying but in fairness, there are still loads of crap cars out there and also cars with crap brakes/tyres/etc.

As for the pedestrian, sure they were stupid for strolling across a dual carriageway without looking (especially given the pedestrain bridge) but that won't make you feel that much better after you kill them. Had hte driver been going faster (or been less observant) the pedestrian would have been seriously injured or killed. The fact that the pedestrian broke the law does not excuse the driver for speeding (I hate that term) or being inobservant.
    The reality is that we all have a part to play in road safety.

Advertisement