Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quarter of Brits think Churchill was a myth...

• 05-02-2008 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭

I guess it's not just the Americans that are perceived as being idiots. It doesn't really surprise me given the crap that the general public are being fed with through the media (i.e. Big Brother, etc.)
    LONDON (AFP) - Britons are losing their grip on reality, according to a poll out Monday which showed that nearly a quarter think Winston Churchill was a myth while the majority reckon Sherlock Holmes was real.
    ADVERTISEMENT

The survey found that 47 percent thought the 12th century English king Richard the Lionheart was a myth.

And 23 percent thought World War II prime minister Churchill was made up. The same percentage thought Crimean War nurse Florence Nightingale did not actually exist.

Three percent thought Charles Dickens, one of Britain's most famous writers, is a work of fiction himself.

Indian political leader Mahatma Gandhi and Battle of Waterloo victor the Duke of Wellington also appeared in the top 10 of people thought to be myths.

Meanwhile, 58 percent thought Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's fictional detective Holmes actually existed; 33 percent thought the same of W. E. Johns' fictional pilot and adventurer Biggles.

UKTV Gold television surveyed 3,000 people.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080204/od_afp/britainpeoplehistoryoffbeat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

"UKTV Gold television surveyed 3,000 people."

Sounds like a quality survey to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Meh, I though Sweeny Todd as in the Johnny Depp film was an actual person but I learned on Sunday he was a work of fiction. Good film though!

Calling me a fool OP? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

micmclo wrote: »
    Meh, I though Sweeny Todd as in the Johnny Depp film was an actual person but I learned on Sunday he was a work of fiction. Good film though!

Yes, yes I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

micmclo wrote: »

I reckon thinking that one of your countries most important ever figures was a fictional character is much worse than thinking a fictional character was actually real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

MrJoeSoap wrote: »

There is something stupidly low like 100 or 1000 people needed before a survey can actually be published. They should push that number up to 10,000 to get a more accurate figure.

I wonder if they were asked whether J.C was real ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

how many americans did you survey to label them all as leprachaun hunting tourists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Thats the exact number I thought you were going to say ironically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Meh, UKTV... I'm not too surprised, tbh! I wish Sherlock Holmes was real though. He's awesome.

Overheal, aren't you supposed to be doing course work? I told you I'd be watching! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

I wish Sherlock Holmes was real though. He's awesome.

someone after my own heart

• Advertisement

Wasn't there some sort of debate for years over whether or not Robin Hood actually lived?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I expect many were taking the piss or answering the people asking sarcastically, since they were such stupid questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Overheal wrote: »
    how many americans did you survey to label them all as leprachaun hunting tourists?
    Pfft ... just you! :D

In fairness, 3,000 for an "entertainment" type survey seems like a reasonable figure ...

So ... are the following Irish figures real or fictional (without resorting to Google, etc.) ?

St. Patrick
    St. Brigit
    Fiach McHugh
    Fionn McCool
    Granuaile
    Caitlin Ni Houlihan
    Tar.Aldarion

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Ask a bunch of stupid people a set of stupid questions and you'll get a stupid answer. Those questions that they published the results for were probably hidden amongst a bunch of other ones such as "does the easter bunny/ tooth fairy/ Santa exist?" and then that persuades people to give stupid answers to the questions they were looking to get stupid answers to.

If the same survey had been done in Ireland with different Irish real people added in in place of Churchill etc then you'd get the same stupid results.
    So ... are the following Irish figures real or fictional (without resorting to Google, etc.) ?

St. Patrick / St. Brigit
    Didn't realise he had an alias.

robinph wrote: »
    Didn't realise he had an alias.
    Lol ... fixed for those who choose to read it that way! :p I grouped them because much of the same issues apply.

And actually now that you mention it ... oh, well, let's not open up that can of worms!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

people actually write to Sherlock Holmes. There is no 221b but 221 used to be a branch of Nationwide Building society and they used to have to employ someone to handle all his letters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

MrJoeSoap wrote: »

They even had Les Dennis to give the result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I thought *he* was a work of fiction.

Thought or hoped, same difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 qiggsy123

who the **** is chirchill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

qiggsy123 wrote: »
    who the **** is chirchill
    Someone who didn't go to NUIG.
    Bye.

• Advertisement