Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Acer Bloatware and Vista

• 05-02-2008 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭

Hey, I use an Acer 5051 (2GB RAM, Vista Basic) in work and have noticed that the preinstalled Acer programmes listed;
    • Acer Arcade
    • Acer eData Security Management
    • Acer eLock Management
    • Acer Empowering Technology
    • Acer eNet Management
    • Acer ePower Management
    • Acer ePresentation Management
    • Acer eSettings Management
    • Acer GridVista
    • Acer Mobility Center Plugin
    • Acer Tour

max out my CPU/RAM processes almost all of the time. Am I right in assuming that uninstalling these programmes via the control panel is ok and won't do any damage to the OS? Or will uninstalling them damage the OS? I'm particularly worried about the Acer Empowering Technology Framework because it totally eats RAM like theres no tomorrow. I would reinstall Vista but Acer don't provide disks (it's on a partition on the drive and I presume that version of Vista is preloaded with the bloatware also, am I wrong?). I'm a total Windows n00b (mac user) so any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Nah, there is no chance they'll damage the OS, the only programs likely to do that are Microsoft updates, or actual viruses that you download.

Uninstall them, it's safe.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

look up decrapifier if you want to uninstall the acer apps

but first run msconfig
    or download autoruns from microsoft.com
    these will allow you to still have the programs but you can tell them not to load on startup - so you have the best of both worlds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Merci beaucoup for the replies! I'll get straight on it at work tomorrow.

Advertisement