Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cathal ó Searcaigh off the leaving?

Options
  • 05-02-2008 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

thats wat i heard....

anyone know for sure?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I doubt it, they can't just change the curriculum at this stage.
    However, don't they have reserve papers so you never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ashbash

sweet i hope they just take it out cause Níl aon Ní and fasoiseamh a Gheobhadsa are too a like!
    it confuses me :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

The only two peoms i like. One word: codersnacht!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Nil aon ni was on my mock but it was a stand alone one

oh? gealt as my stand alone one.

i had jack and níl aon ní on mine.

people dont want him on the leaving cause he is in a little trouble with having sex with 16 year olds boy in some county and was paying them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

hahahaha

níl aon ni

indeed my class wer imature enuf to think him being gay was scandel! lol!

haha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

They couldn't possibly take him off the current course, unless they want to turn around and tell us we've two less poems to learn... Maybe in the future, though. *shrug*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Our teacher was telling us this today (im in 5th year though) he didnt say it was off for this year but he'd have a bet it wont be on any more. Cathal was arrested for pssesing some kind of p*rn, not sure what type, think it was child he said, but dont quote me :)

Edit; just found this, backs it up a bit http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5h9W0a1eNkkXhyZYSWlvN9YbJTRiw

und another ; http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0205/osearcaigh.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 InVikingWeTrust

oh tis a good one!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I hope he's not taken off, Níl aon Ní is one of the easier poems and there's a good bit to write about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

He's not being taken off because the current syllabus is for 2006-2009.

If the aligations about him are justified then I will have no respect for his poetry again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

JSK 252 wrote: »

If the aligations about him are justified then I will have no respect for his poetry again.

That's just stupid tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

id say if its proven he'll be removed I HATE NIL AON NI!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

and any mention of his name there is a chorus of ''PEDO'' (im in the top honours and this still happens :))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

No matter what the man has done, he's written the two simplest poems on the course so i hope he's still on for 2009...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

I think he should stay on the course.
    Like, one of his poems is about a prostitute, and they're complaining about him having sex with people who are OVER the age of consent?
    I really don't see what the problem is. If he were sleeping with a sixteen year old English girl, or boy, there wouldn't be half the fuss.
    Most of the people in my class were convinced it's paedophilia, but it's not. Paedophilia is sexual attraction to someone who is pre-pubescent, and sixteen is very, very rarely pre-pubescent, right?
    I really don't see what the fuss is about.
    The sex life of a poet has no bearing on their poetry, and it's not like he was doing anything illegal, or even wrong.
    Admittedly, a 51 year old and a 16 year old is slightly creepy, I can see that, but at 16 one is able to make informed decisions about sex. He was hardly taking advantage of a child.

That's just stupid tbh.

How is that stupid? So your telling me you would have respect for a guy who has been having inappropriate sexual relations with children? Including his poetry?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

How so Joe wrote: »
    I think he should stay on the course.
    Like, one of his poems is about a prostitute, and they're complaining about him having sex with people who are OVER the age of consent?
    I really don't see what the problem is. If he were sleeping with a sixteen year old English girl, or boy, there wouldn't be half the fuss.
    Most of the people in my class were convinced it's paedophilia, but it's not. Paedophilia is sexual attraction to someone who is pre-pubescent, and sixteen is very, very rarely pre-pubescent, right?
    I really don't see what the fuss is about.
    The sex life of a poet has no bearing on their poetry, and it's not like he was doing anything illegal, or even wrong.
    Admittedly, a 51 year old and a 16 year old is slightly creepy, I can see that, but at 16 one is able to make informed decisions about sex. He was hardly taking advantage of a child.

I agree, but considering the students reading his poetry would be around that age also, if probably the reason for doing anything, if they do in the future, chances are they will just ommit him from the next syllabus/cirriculum

How is that stupid? So your telling me you would have respect for a guy who has been having inappropriate sexual relations with children? Including his poetry?
    It is alleged that he has had sexual relations with teenagers who were above the age of consent.
    It's not really inappropriate, and they're not children. They're capable of making informed decisions, and it's not like he forced any of them!

• Advertisement

timmywex wrote: »
    I agree, but considering the students reading his poetry would be around that age also, if probably the reason for doing anything, if they do in the future, chances are they will just ommit him from the next syllabus/cirriculum
    True, it is likely that he'll be taken off the course from 2010, but I think it's a bit extreme, tbh.
    It's not like his poetry advocates sex with 16 year olds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

You don't just stop respecting a work of literature because the writer turns out to be a criminal.

In any case, he hasn't been proven guilty of anything....

How so Joe wrote: »
    It is alleged that he has had sexual relations with teenagers who were above the age of consent.
    It's not really inappropriate, and they're not children. They're capable of making informed decisions, and it's not like he forced any of them!

You do realise that there have been reports floating around that he has been having relations with people under the age of consent aswell and it was where I was basing my stories from? Whether this is justified is another story.

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    You don't just stop respecting a work of literature because the writer turns out to be a criminal.

In any case, he hasn't been proven guilty of anything....

So you would still get his autograph if you saw him on the street? Fair enough I suppose sure Im always wrong.

He hasnt denied it either.

So you would still get his autograph if you saw him on the street? Fair enough I suppose sure Im always wrong.

He hasnt denied it either.
    He has denied having sex with underage boys, not that he had sex with any boys. There's no reason for him to deny having sex, it's a normal part of life, but the underage thing, he has denied.
    It doesn't change that he's a skilled Irish poet though.
    You do realise that there have been reports floating around that he has been having relations with people under the age of consent aswell and it was where I was basing my stories from? Whether this is justified is another story.
    I don't think it's fair to judge him based on allegations. He's not denying that he had sex, I don't think it'd be possible for him to do that, but there has been no factual evidence that any of the boys were underage.
    Admittedly, there's been no proof that they weren't, but charges haven't even been put to him yet!

Ye are not getting what Im at. Feck this ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

What he has or hasn't done doesn't change his poetry in any way.

What he has or hasn't done doesn't change his poetry in any way.
    That's exactly what I wanted to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Casserine

Whether or not the allegations are true, it shouldn't impact on his poetry. Artists need to have a little distance from their work. If you do your research, you'd be surprised how many of your favourite artists, writers, musicians and sportspeople aren't saints in real life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Is Oscar Wilde banned from English then? (Before you complain, he established rapprochements with young and very young men in Paris towards the end of his life)

Advertisement