Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cathal ó Searcaigh off the leaving?

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

guys, seriously, forget about studying him.
    There is absolutely no way in hell they are going to ask a question about him after what was printed in the Irish Examiner today.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

"but there has been no factual evidence that any of the boys were underage."

Lol. put that down as an "oxymoron" in your leaving cert English paper.
    lmao. solid gold that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

JSK 252 wrote: »
    So you would still get his autograph if you saw him on the street? Fair enough I suppose sure Im always wrong.
    Just because my respect for the person diminished wouldn't mean my respect for the work they produced would diminish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

jayteecork wrote: »
    guys, seriously, forget about studying him.
    There is absolutely no way in hell they are going to ask a question about him after what was printed in the Irish Examiner today.

Why wouldn't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

Nil Aon Ni is an easy poem. :( So easy to give imagery, contrast, main points etc

I'm confused, will he still be on for this years (2008) LC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

How so Joe wrote: »
    not that he had sex with any boys

yes he did he openly admitted to that:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Admittedly, a 51 year old and a 16 year old is slightly creepy, I can see that, but at 16 one is able to make informed decisions about sex.

i dont agree with that at all!
    i dont think that most 16 year olds are emotionally equipped to decide about sex at 16,
    phallic-ly equipped? perhaps:p

[sorry about the second double post :(]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

If the aligations about him are justified then I will have no respect for his poetry again.
    As has been said that makes no sense whatsoever.
    JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Just because my respect for the person diminished wouldn't mean my respect for the work they produced would diminish.
    QFT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

You don't just stop respecting a work of literature because the writer turns out to be a criminal.

In any case, he hasn't been proven guilty of anything....

Ó Searcaigh is an outstanding poet – playful, open, ebullient, unafraid of the colours of language, shockingly honest and raw when necessary and a tender, gifted love poet ... Out in the Open is not just a publication, it’s a celebration and a collection to leave one breathless.

- Dermot Bolger, The Tribune

Very Ironic isnt it?:rolleyes: This guy is dodgy.

It is alleged that he has had sexual relations with teenagers who were above the age of consent.
    It's not really inappropriate, and they're not children. They're capable of making informed decisions, and it's not like he forced any of them!

Just to add, where I come from we find it sick and disgusting for a 50 something year-old to have his way with a 16 year old and I find it repulsive to be quite honest.

• Advertisement

Ó Searcaigh is an outstanding poet – playful, open, ebullient, unafraid of the colours of language, shockingly honest and raw when necessary and a tender, gifted love poet ... Out in the Open is not just a publication, it’s a celebration and a collection to leave one breathless.

- Dermot Bolger, The Tribune

Very Ironic isnt it?:rolleyes: This guy is dodgy.
    I'm not understanding the relevence to the quote by me you were replying to.

Again, just because a poet is a dodgy character doesn't mean his poetry should be less respected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Gowranistan

I think it's simply nepalling..... yuk yuk. They won't be able to take him off at this late stage. If they do take him off the course it will be for 2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

He was interviewed and he denied having sex with underage boys but he admitted to having sex with 16 years olds.

I think it's sick that people on here think that a 51 year old having sex with 16 year old boys is acceptable. Disgusting. Most 16 year olds are not capable of dealing with sex at that age.

Oh, and on the radio they were also saying that boys who were interviewed, they said that O Searcaigh had asked them to..do stuff with him. But they didn't know what he meant. They didn't know what sex was. How is this ok to people? How can you have respect for such a man?

And why don't people want him off the course? All the Irish poems on the LC are sh1te, including his.

He was interviewed and he denied having sex with underage boys but he admitted to having sex with 16 years olds.

I think it's sick that people on here think that a 51 year old having sex with 16 year old boys is acceptable. Disgusting. Most 16 year olds are not capable of dealing with sex at that age.

Oh, and on the radio they were also saying that boys who were interviewed, they said that O Searcaigh had asked them to..do stuff with him. But they didn't know what he meant. They didn't know what sex was. How is this ok to people? How can you have respect for such a man?

And why don't people want him off the course? All the Irish poems on the LC are sh1te, including his.

Somebody is talking sense for once.;);)

Yah they were discussing it on liveline and the people who were ringing Joe Duffy who are neighbours of his up in Donegal had some VERY good stories to tell about this guy, thats if any of ye who think its grand to take advantage of a 16 year old cared to listen to it.

Oh FFS.

Ó Searcaigh's poems are of high enough standard to be on the Leaving. Why would you take them off the Leaving because the poet is a dodgy character? Respecting a man's poetry is not the same thing as respecting the man. Being against removing them from the LC syllabus is not the same thing as respecting the man. What you think of a 50 year old having sex with a 16 year old is utterly irrelevant.

On a side note to Killaqueen!!!, just because you don't like the poems on the Irish LC course(probably because you just don't like Irish in general), doesn't mean they're shíte. Personally, I didn't like Ó Searcaigh's poems, but, for example, I loved Oíche Nollag na mBan by Seán Ó Riordán and it's one of my favourite poems in any language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Oh FFS.

Ó Searcaigh's poems are of high enough standard to be on the Leaving. Why would you take them off the Leaving because the poet is a dodgy character? Respecting a man's poetry is not the same thing as respecting the man. Being against removing them from the LC syllabus is not the same thing as respecting the man. What you think of a 50 year old having sex with a 16 year old is utterly irrelevant.

On a side note to Killaqueen!!!, just because you don't like the poems on the Irish LC course(probably because you just don't like Irish in general), doesn't mean they're shíte. Personally, I didn't like Ó Searcaigh's poems, but, for example, I loved Oíche Nollag na mBan by Seán Ó Riordán and it's one of my favourite poems in any language.

So, poetry by, say, Hitler would be acceptable on the Leaving Cert. syllabus? I'm using extremes here because you're not getting it. If Hitler wrote a poem, that was of "high enough standard to be on the Leaving", you would have respect for his poetry? I simply don't understand how one can have respect for such a persons work, just as I don't understand how one can respect work from a man who sleeps with 16 year old boys. And if they are 16 years old, I assume he wouldn't mind sleeping with boys younger than that either.

And why do you think I don't like Irish in general? It happens to be one of my favourite languages (granted, I don't know many). Not my favourite subject though because I think it's taught horribly in schools. But just because I don't like the poems on the LC doesn't mean I don't like Irish.

Why do you like the Irish poems? Because they're simple, and easy to understand? I don't actually know Irish poetry apart from the ones on the LC course (haven't done the one you've mentioned yet though), but I can only assume there's better ones than a short story of a supposed madman on the bus, or a poem about a lad with nice hair called Jack. Seriously, there must be better works than those?

So, poetry by, say, Hitler would be acceptable on the Leaving Cert. syllabus? I'm using extremes here because you're not getting it. If Hitler wrote a poem, that was of "high enough standard to be on the Leaving", you would have respect for his poetry?
    Of course. As long as it was of high enough standard and didn't promote any skewed ideals like anti-semitism or fascism.
    I simply don't understand how one can have respect for such a persons work, just as I don't understand how one can respect work from a man who sleeps with 16 year old boys. And if they are 16 years old, I assume he wouldn't mind sleeping with boys younger than that either.
    Sylvia Plath committed suicide and left 2 children behind her. I don't have respect for her because of that, but I have immense respect for her poetry. Should she be taken off the Leaving because her actions were extremely inconsiderate and wrong? I don't think so.

Ó Searcaigh's poems don't promote sex with underagers and they are considered of high enough standard to be on the Leaving. His personal life is irrelevant.
    Why do you like the Irish poems? Because they're simple, and easy to understand? I don't actually know Irish poetry apart from the ones on the LC course (haven't done the one you've mentioned yet though), but I can only assume there's better ones than a short story of a supposed madman on the bus, or a poem about a lad with nice hair called Jack. Seriously, there must be better works than those?
    They're the ordinary level poems. If you're doing higher level, you do those easy ones first and then more onto the tougher, but infinitely more interesting stuff. They're as challenging and deep as the poems on the English course. If you're doing OL, then I'm afraid you're stuck with only these crap poems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

jayteecork wrote: »
    "but there has been no factual evidence that any of the boys were underage."

Lol. put that down as an "oxymoron" in your leaving cert English paper.
    lmao. solid gold that.

Where's the oxymoron there?

Very Ironic isnt it?:rolleyes:

No. It isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

What about the poetry of Oscar Wilde? Would you guys have a problem studying that? It's generally accepted that he had multiple sexual relations with young boys during his life time. I can think of lots of other poets too, who have commited acts far more questionable than what O searcaigh is accused of.

passive wrote: »
    Where's the oxymoron there?

No. It isn't.

Did you even click on the attachement? The title is enough not to mind the illustrations.

• Advertisement

So, poetry by, say, Hitler would be acceptable on the Leaving Cert. syllabus? I'm using extremes here because you're not getting it. If Hitler wrote a poem, that was of "high enough standard to be on the Leaving", you would have respect for his poetry? I simply don't understand how one can have respect for such a persons work, just as I don't understand how one can respect work from a man who sleeps with 16 year old boys. And if they are 16 years old, I assume he wouldn't mind sleeping with boys younger than that either.

And why do you think I don't like Irish in general? It happens to be one of my favourite languages (granted, I don't know many). Not my favourite subject though because I think it's taught horribly in schools. But just because I don't like the poems on the LC doesn't mean I don't like Irish.

I was just about to mention hitler and saddam hussein writing poetry aswell but you beat me to it!

I was just about to mention hitler and saddam hussein writing poetry aswell but you beat me to it!

PLATH. DONNE. WILDE.

OMFG *head implodes*

It's the quality of the filíoct, not the file!

Do you support say, Mein Kampf being banned?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Did you even click on the attachement? The title is enough not to mind the illustrations.

The title is enough... Enough what? Enough not knowing what irony is?

PLATH. DONNE. WILDE.

OMFG *head implodes*

It's the quality of the filíoct, not the file!

Do you support say, Mein Kampf being banned?

Grow up with your sarcasm.

I havent read the book but Id say by the end I would be sickened by Hitlers cruel political ideology. But thats just my opinion.

passive wrote: »
    The title is enough... Enough what? Enough not knowing what irony is?

Out in the open with a picture of naked boys eh....... Its now out in the open that he has been sleeping with naked boys?

He's shockingly honest alright.

Grow up with your sarcasm.

I havent read the book but Id say by the end I would be sickened by Hitlers cruel political ideology. But thats just my opinion.

There was no sarcasm in my post.

And that didn't answer my question!

There was no sarcasm in my post.

And that didn't answer my question!

I havent read the ****ing book to make an honest judgement if it should be banned or not. Do you want me to give an answer not having read it?

I havent read the ****ing book to make an honest judgement
    If the aligations about him are justified then I will have no respect for his poetry again.

:)

:)

Im not getting you there like. I said that I havent read hitlers book to judge if it should be banned or not and I said that I wont have respect for a man and his work who ****s children.

Its quite weird that only a couple of people on this thread have said that they find it wrong of what he did when the opinion of the general public from listening to liveline is that they find it wrong aswell.

Dont try to twist my words.

• Advertisement

LMFAO :D:D:D LIVELINE??? Ahahaha!!

Advertisement