Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cathal ó Searcaigh off the leaving?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

JSK 252 wrote: »
    Out in the open with a picture of naked boys eh....... Its now out in the open that he has been sleeping with naked boys?

He's shockingly honest alright.

hahahahaa oohhh now I get it.... No. That's not irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    LMFAO :D:D:D LIVELINE??? Ahahaha!!

Have you got a problem with the show or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭annie19

the dept of ed ave 2 give at least one if not 2 yrs notice to remove so as they can put in a replacement. use ur grey matter guys, if there is rumours and maybe even a pending court case the poet in question will prob not be on the paper in june!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

ne1 agree??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Have you got a problem with the show or something?
    Nah, I enjoy comedy. I thought the fact that you referred to a bunch of uneducated, whinging idiots as the general public was rather funny :D

I hav to say this thread has brought me many giggles {to myself of course!}

• Advertisement

Nah, I enjoy comedy. I thought the fact that you referred to a bunch of uneducated, whinging idiots as the general public was rather funny :D

Arent you the general public aswell?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: So everybody who rings up Joe Duffy is uneducated?

ooh the air is hot around here!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Im not getting you there like. I said that I havent read hitlers book to judge if it should be banned or not and I said that I wont have respect for a man and his work who ****s children.
    I believe the point was that here, you say you need to read the book to make judgement, therefore, you are basing your judgement upon the book, even though you know Hitler was bad. Whereas in Cathal O Searcaigh's case, you're disregarding his work and think how he is as a person is a measure of whether his work should be tolerated or not. Get me?
    annie19 wrote: »
    the dept of ed ave 2 give at least one if not 2 yrs notice to remove so as they can put in a replacement. use ur grey matter guys, if there is rumours and maybe even a pending court case the poet in question will prob not be on the paper in june!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

ne1 agree??
    Aren't the papers already set by now?

I like Níl Aon Ní as a poem (and Maigdiléana.. so spelt that wrong.. seems good from what I've read), not mad on answering questions on it though, same idea as Faoiseamh a Gheobhadsa really, only the contrast is less accentuated and it's got nicer imagery... but imagery is hard to talk about in Irish, codarsnacht is a lot easier.

Anyway, sure who hasn't done a 16 year old in this day and age?

PurpleFistMixer; Anyway, sure who hasn't done a 16 year old in this day and age?

Game, set and match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Yeah, we 16 year olds are all sluts.

• Advertisement

Cokehead Mother; Yeah, we 16 year olds are all sluts.

Emphasis added...

the examinations board make up more than one paper!!!!! i thoght this was common knowledge!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

So everybody who rings up Joe Duffy is uneducated?

yes everyone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37 podgedurka

The Leaving Cert is made in December Before all this happened so really this thing doesn't make a difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 smiler89

I grew up with irish as my first language so of course i hv no problems with filíocht but that doesn go to say i enjoy it. as a matter of fact i hate all irish petry nd never really took a liking to o searcaigh espec...

i think it is absolutely appalin th way he behaves with these young boys. you say 'who hasn done a sixteen yr old' and 'they'r all sluts' but thats in our country!! over in nepal a 16yr old on the street couldn tell u wat sex is so yes i think they are being horribly exploited by this man. in the sunday indo a couple of wks ago it said o searcaigh wud repay them with money, bikes, materials and help with their education after havin sex with them. i cant understand how ppl can defend this sort of behaviour!:eek:

Who defended his behavior?

Who defended his behavior?

yes i dont think a single person defended him :)

Well from what killaqueen said, smiler89 said and I have said it appears that the "majority in this forum" couldnt give a dam about his behaviour and people dont care. Defending him has nothing to do with it. Its wether you think there is anything wrong with a middle aged man having realtions with young children/adults is the question that really needs to be asked, when the answer is morally obvious unless somebody wants to disagree once again.

Perhaps I haven't been making myself clear.

What Cathal Ó Searcaigh did was, in my opinion, morally wrong and seems very dodgy.

Whether his poetry should be on the LC or not should have nothing to do with his behavior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Perhaps I haven't been making myself clear.

What Cathal Ó Searcaigh did was, in my opinion, morally wrong and seems very dodgy.

Whether his poetry should be on the LC or not should have nothing to do with his behavior.

Shocked, horrified and appalled...I actually one hundred percent agree with JC 2K3.

Get down off your moral high ground and stop burning books for a second, O Searcaigh's sexuality and/or interest in 'young boys' are irrelevant. If his poetry includes these themes but are still considered good poems then they are more then entitled to be read. I personally think the bible is nothing but propoganda full of tribalism, murder and homophobia. Can I demand it be banned........of course not.

Only in Ireland would we worry about the actions and not the words of a writer......look at some of the worlds greatest writers Wilde, Dickenson, Plath etc....by reading their work do we condone pedastry? Or suicide? Of course not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

dan719 wrote: »
    I personally think the bible is nothing but propoganda full of tribalism, murder and homophobia. Can I demand it be banned........of course not.

Not that it has anything to do with this, but this just reflects your knowledge of the Bible if you can honestly say that it is full of these things, or that you don't understand the purpose of several pieces in the Old Testament narrative, or you are picking out which ever pieces you will when you really need to read the lot to get a decent picture of it. Simply, the most enlightened piece of literature of our time imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jellyphatass246

How so Joe wrote: »
    I think he should stay on the course.
    Like, one of his poems is about a prostitute, and they're complaining about him having sex with people who are OVER the age of consent?
    I really don't see what the problem is. If he were sleeping with a sixteen year old English girl, or boy, there wouldn't be half the fuss.
    Most of the people in my class were convinced it's paedophilia, but it's not. Paedophilia is sexual attraction to someone who is pre-pubescent, and sixteen is very, very rarely pre-pubescent, right?
    I really don't see what the fuss is about.
    The sex life of a poet has no bearing on their poetry, and it's not like he was doing anything illegal, or even wrong.
    Admittedly, a 51 year old and a 16 year old is slightly creepy, I can see that, but at 16 one is able to make informed decisions about sex. He was hardly taking advantage of a child.

sorry i completely disagree

there is a 35 YEAR DIFFERENCE..

you freak

would you have sex with an older man 35 years older..

would you want that

no hes a PEADO

and sick

however i dont think his poetry should be taken off..

whatever the poet does shouldnt reflect our view on his poetry

To be honest theres not a whole lot more we can take from the man (im not condoning his actions for a second) but his life in ireland is pretty much over, so unless he's gonna be a total recluse for the rest of his life, he's not gonna have much left here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭tasha1

dan719 wrote: »
    Only in Ireland would we worry about the actions and not the words of a writer......look at some of the worlds greatest writers Wilde, Dickenson, Plath etc....by reading their work do we condone pedastry? Or suicide? Of course not.

Precisely.

We should judge his poetry on literary merit alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

tasha1 wrote: »
    Precisely.

We should judge his poetry on literary merit alone.

Plus I find his poetry the easiest to understand and write about. Had my last mock exam today, Irish Paper2, needless to say his poetry was a big help to me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭diddley

Jakkass wrote: »
    Simply, the most enlightened piece of literature of our time imo.

Give or take a couple of thousand years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Well from what killaqueen said, smiler89 said and I have said it appears that the "majority in this forum" couldnt give a dam about his behaviour and people dont care. Defending him has nothing to do with it. Its wether you think there is anything wrong with a middle aged man having realtions with young children/adults is the question that really needs to be asked, when the answer is morally obvious unless somebody wants to disagree once again.

Out of curiousity, what's your stance on gay marriage being introduced to Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Jakkass wrote: »
    Not that it has anything to do with this, but this just reflects your knowledge of the Bible if you can honestly say that it is full of these things, or that you don't understand the purpose of several pieces in the Old Testament narrative, or you are picking out which ever pieces you will when you really need to read the lot to get a decent picture of it. Simply, the most enlightened piece of literature of our time imo.

Wow nice hijacking there, I missed you too, have really not spent enough time in A and A recently.:D Oh and I have read the entire bible, and I'm pretty certain that I understand it on a metaphorical if not spiritual level(load of junk and certainly not 'most enlightened piece of lit of our time'). Sorry for hijacking in order to respond.

Out of curiousity, what's your stance on gay marriage being introduced to Ireland?

I have no problem with gay marriages or people of the same sex having civil ceremonies. If gay people want to be together then nobody should stop them in their path to be recognised as a couple in the name of the law. They should be treated equally and if they are not being treated equally then the state is denying them their basic human rights.

What I do have reservations about is middle aged people having sexual relations with people under the age of consent or even if they are barely above the age of consent.

This is not a homophobic issue and I am not a homophobe.

• Advertisement

I am not a homophobe.I have loads of freinds who are gay

:p

sorry just a joke

well anyway i think theres no point taking him off the sylabus, seeing as it changing soon, i do find it doubtful that he'll be back on when they change it,
    they could just say, 'well we needed to reduce the prescribed text section, so we cut these one out to facilitate the higher teaching time required for the increased oral requirement'

or something like that :)

Advertisement