Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Foot Brake V Hand Brake

Options
  • 05-02-2008 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Have had about 7 driving lessons so far -

Apologies if this is a recurring question, but, on all my lessons I have yet to use the hand brake. I have driven in heavy traffic where you are stopping and starting, and the instructor advises me to put the car into neutral, foot off the clutch and full on the foot brake. The only ever time I have used hand brake in lessons is at the start and end when starting and ending.

I know that when we begin to do steep hill starts then it will come into play then, but I have been with drivers before where they use the hand brake when in slow moving traffic as it doesn't 'wear the brakes out'

Which is correct procedure from a testing point of view?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I think it's better to use your handbrake when you know you will be stopped for more than 5 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I think it's better to use your handbrake when you know you will be stopped for more than 5 seconds.

True, i use footbrake and handbrake most times. Unless its a long journey and need to rest my leg at lights and then just use handbrake when stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

I was told by my instructor always to use my handbrake when stopped at lights, stop signs/lines. as pointed out, if you think you're going to be stopped for 5 seconds or more, you should use your handbrake. If you think about it, it makes sense. Your foot won't get tired and you won't make the mistake of slipping off it and rolling backwards/forwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

I always use the handbrake, never rest my foot on the peddle.

First reason is I find it quite annoying been blinded by red lights, so I dont want the driver behind to feel the same.

Second, I am sure your foot will get sore after a while.

Plus, I find you considerate more on the road when using the handbrake as you have to be ready etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭redcar

I always use my handbreak when stopped at traffic lights or something like that. Same as above poster really. It annoys me so much people just sitting on their footbreak, and some of the newer cars their lights are so bright, it's blinding.

Plus if you are on a slight incline you have the risk of rolling back a bit when you take off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

To all the handbrake fanatics : ever contemplated the reason why some people need about 10 seconds to get rolling when the lights change ?:rolleyes: Ever considered why in most modern cars the dashlight for the handbrake is a little circle with a red P in it ? Because it's a PARKING brake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

so meathstevie, why are learners instructed to come to a full stop and put the "handbrake" on at stop lights and signs? Surely they're not expected to park there? You do remember if you don't come to a full stop at a stop sign/line you can be failed? (depends on instructor) if you break it of course, instant fail :P

I do agree with you about people taking 10 seconds to get going, but if you're at the front of a traffic queue at lights, you should be ready to take off as soon as the lights change (after checking around of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    so meathstevie, why are learners instructed to come to a full stop and put the "handbrake" on at stop lights and signs?
    There is no requirement to apply the park brake at STOP signs (unless it's required for a hill start).

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

Everyone to their own at the end of the day. Whichever you feel most comfortable with, do it. I personally always use the handbrake but that's just the way I was taught.

What makes me laugh is people on about brake lights blinding them. If they are that bad (although I can't see how their that blinding, you're not looking at the sun!) then look away.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

bman wrote: »
    What makes me laugh is people on about brake lights blinding them. If they are that bad (although I can't see how their that blinding, you're not looking at the sun!) then look away.
    Good drivers, who have consideration for other motorists, will use the park brake during lighting up hours as a matter of courtesy. I would prefer that the driver behind me does not have to look away.

Inconsiderate drivers, on the other hand, will be with us always as evidenced by the sentiments expressed in your post. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭WUSBDesign

This is the Learning To Drive forum, so I presume those learning to drive would benefit most from the posts...

Driving instructors want their pupils to drive off the with "clutch down, 1st gear, put on the gas, rev to XX rpm, clutch gently up to find the biting point, safe all round (if needed), release hand brake and go". Same consistent procedure, be it at the lights, being parked, when merging into a major road, etc.

Not *all* instructors do that, but the two I had gave the same message.

To do that, the hand brake has to be used.

Obviously, once one gets more proficient at moving off SMOOTHLY and without stalling, then moving the right foot from the foot brake to the accelerator pedal no longer becomes a tricky situation for learners.

Advertisement