Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much is too much?

Options
  • 05-02-2008 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭

Planning to move from D15 to Meath. I have looked at a few places and im thinking of making the move in a few months.

The situation is that in my estate the houses are for sale for around 320,000 euro (all 3 bedroom houses). There are about half sold and half for sale out of the properties that are currently advertised in the estate(from looking at the estate agents signs outside the house).

Anyway with a view to hoping to get a quickish sale I was thinking of putting the house on the market for 305,000 and would be willing to take 300,000 for it. I wouldnt want to advertise the house for sale for any less than 300,000 if i could help it but if i did how much do you think I should offer? i dont want to put it on the market for too low as people might get suspicious as to why it is so much cheaper than other properties in the area.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Gazzer- to be perfectly honest- if there are several houses on the market there at present in or around ~320 mark and a lot of them are not sold- I do not think that its realistic to expect a quick sale at 300-305 in a few months time. D15 (you don't say where exactly) is not one of the more sought after areas (that said there are some nice well established estates that are very popular). If you really want 300k and are not willing to sell for less- you need to get on the market immediately and not be shy about undercutting your neighbours. Its unrealistic to expect prices not to fall below what you consider your rock bottom price to be- especially as the current market price is only 6-7% above this level (and there is a lot of unsold stock even at this level). Be realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

At the same time if you advertise it at that price most people will offer below the asking price in current climate. If you were advertising at e305k I'd offer at most e270k to be honest and I am currently thinking of moving so this isn't just a for the sake of it post. Might be better to go with standard price for estate but state open to offers or quick sale wanted - might increase interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I dunno, I search by price, over pricing but willing to discount wouldn't show up if the number falls out the search brackets on the major sites like daft, propertynews and myhome (yuck..that's gone to the dogs recently). "Price on application" is also a waste of time imho unless you are selling something massive where .."if you need to ask"..comes into play.

As long as its within 10% of similar places in the area I think you be dangling eough of a carrot to raise interest but not suspicion.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I'd look at the bands people look in, and try to get in there, under the old stamp duty system, for example, a lot of houses would be priced at 635k.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I would actually go just under the €300,000 to get into people's search brackets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

300,000 on the dot shows up in both searches (<300,000 & >300,000)

Advertisement