Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joining the regular British Army?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

a lot of irish join the irish regiments in the british army--best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Covenline

DILLIGAF wrote: »

Anyway, I wouldn't bother asking too many questions here, unless you want an irish opinion. I find <snip> All refferal links snipped - Hagar <snip> to the best website around for information about recruiting to trades to regiments and their activities. A great community and generally comprising of soldiers and recruiters alike. I put up a thread asking for some basic info a few months ago and I got 3 PM's with numbers and names of people to get onto. Best of luck with it

Also try <snip> All refferal links snipped - Hagar <snip>
    military fitness and training

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 profitandseer

2 Para are back this week, 15 dead after a 6 month tour,(also 1 RIR KIA on tour)

At that ratio, the chances of joining 2 Para (600strong) as a career soldier, going to A-Stan to do a tour every 24 months, over lets say over 16 yrs of service and getting killed are.

8 tours x 15 =120 ....1 in 5, getting seriously wounded is odds on.

On top of that 80 wounded,many lost limbs, 2 Para paraded in Colchester this morning, very moving, great speech by Sgt Major, especially remembering the fallen.

<snip> All refferal links snipped - Hagar <snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

8 tours x 15 =120 ....1 in 5, getting seriously wounded is odds on.

I dont agree, the ratio will be much lower as not every tour will be as tough as that one. The tour coincided with a big push in the area plus there will be more routine tours thrown in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Also, not everyone wants to join the Paras. Theres much more to joining the British Army than the Paras, now ask any Para and you'll get a completely differant answer nornally punctuated with a good smattering of French...and some other languages thrown in too! :) Question is P Company.....are you up for it?

iceage wrote: »
    Also, not everyone wants to join the Paras. Theres much more to joining the British Army than the Paras, now ask any Para and you'll get a completely differant answer nornally punctuated with a good smattering of French...and some other languages thrown in too! :) Question is P Company.....are you up for it?

Footage of a couple of drops,Jumping at 250 ft is the lowest, on most jumps its 600ft or at night with full equipment, carrying anything up to 90 pounds bergen, thats not including chutes that weigh 35 pounds reserve 25 pound and weapon, all that acts like an anchor so feels much heavier,at 250 ft its a live combat jump/exercise with no need for reserve, and light weapon order.

Leadership wrote: »
    I dont agree, the ratio will be much lower as not every tour will be as tough as that one. The tour coincided with a big push in the area plus there will be more routine tours thrown in.

Which is why I wrote at that ratio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭cherrypicker555

iceage wrote: »

Ex world champion boxer attempts TA version of P company (no 20 miler).

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭Frelance

Im currently in the officer training corp and am having a blast. I would definetly reccommend it to anyone that is looking at a career in the british army.
    There are many opportunities available and recruits are actively encouraged to engage in sports and skills development.
    any questions about otc feel free to ask. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭KINGPIN

how long did the process take for you ? ^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭Frelance

KINGPIN wrote: »
    how long did the process take for you ? ^^

Its relatively quick to get in, takes a few days to get the paperwork filled out and your background checks to come through. Then you just have to get your kit and turn up for training nites/weekends.
    Recruits generally spend between 2-3 years in the corp preparing for sandhurst. (This is not definitive as officer recruits have got a commision in shorter times)
    I attend alongside my studies so i find its a great way to make money and lots of friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Ok folks, this thread has taken a direction that is making many of our regular posters uneasy.

This is a reminder that we are an Irish Military Forum and as such we don't allow active recruitment or encouragement to join any armed forced except the PDF/RDF.

There are many professional recruiment sites out there for the other armies, it's not our job.

We will allow discussion of life in the BA as an Irish person but any contact / refferal details will be snipped.

The wording of the Charter has been modified to clarify this position.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement