Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does anyone here question Valentine's Day?

• 05-02-2008 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

If a person wants to make a loving gesture to their significant other, why oh why can't they just do it any day of the year? Why do they feel the need to behave like a sheep and go along with the crowd just because Hallmark says so? It's just a day - like any other ordinary day in the year. Why should a guy/girl feel guilty if they forget to spend a fortune on some lame present on 14th February? Can't they get it on 15th February or 14th June? Do they have to get presents/cards at all? It's also pitifully insincere. A couple could be bitching and fighting all year and then they'll spend hundreds on gifts and a fancy restaurant meal. Oh and the girl will have to get all cutesy-wootsy stuff...

"You're obviously single..." Nope. I've just thankfully never been taken in by the shyte that is Valentine's Day.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

And along the same lines why can't we dress up in costumes all year round, instead of just on Halloween? I know I do.

It's just a themed day like all the others and can be a bit of fun as long as you don't take it too seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

People do take it seriously though. And not just couples. Single people (mostly women) take to the bed with depression...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Yes, down with presents and expressions of love being planned. :p How about we have Valentine's Day AND spontaneous expressions of affection? Valentine's Day just means ya get one more and you know it's coming :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

I used to love Valentine's day but only when I was young because my mother used to cut up mass cards and make them into Valentine's cards with funny poems in them. I still have one from her from when I was about 6. It says:

Oh Judy you're a rudy
    Always in your nudy
    But no matter what you doodee
    You're still my Valentine!

Always cracks me up!

I'm not big into the whole romantic side of stuff really. Maybe moreso when I was a teenager. I prefer unexpected romantic gestures like a surprise doughnut from time to time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Doesnt bother me either way..

but maybe it's nice for some people who's partners don't go out of their way during the year to get the something as they save up for big christmas, anniversary or birthday presents and they don't always have the cash to randomly buy them something nice. So they have this one day to enjoy together and maybe if they go out for a meal or something they feel that it's a nice atmosphere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Valentine's Day just means ya get one more and you know it's coming :D

Not in your case ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Some boyfriend you are :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

It doesn't bother me, and I've never gotten anything for Valentine's Day. In fact last year, I was told on Valentine's Day by the guy I was seeing that he had met someone else. That was a low point for me. :o
    However, I don't take to my bed with depression or blacklist February 14th on my calendar. I mean, come on, give us single ladies a little more credit than that. I just make a point to contact friends and family and people that I love, and let them know I'm thinking of them, not just on that day, but always.
    Like monkeyfudge said, it's just a lighthearted, themed day aimed at celebrating love. It's not there to make us single gals feel bad about ourselves. If you do react that way, then you're allowing this little holiday way too much power over you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

it does bother me, but, to be honest, ill still get him something. i do buy him things spontaneously, and im putting a lot of effort into his birthday and it's our anniversary tomorrow, so they are taking top priority. mostly, i love to look after the people i care about,and valentine's is a chance to do that, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

It's all a bit too tacky for my liking but each to their own

In an ideal world I think it should be banned - or at least renamed "Do something nice for you significant other on some random day during the year but not necessarily this day Reminder Day"

(or something along those lines)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

Doesnt bother me either way..

but maybe it's nice for some people who's partners don't go out of their way during the year to get the something as they save up for big christmas, anniversary or birthday presents and they don't always have the cash to randomly buy them something nice. So they have this one day to enjoy together and maybe if they go out for a meal or something they feel that it's a nice atmosphere

Never thought of it that way - makes sense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I hate this week.

Its my birthday, but my cute little nephew was born on my birthday, and as everyone is still fairly broke at this time of year, but rightly want to spoil him, I generally get nothing! My brothers birthday is the day before mine. So I've to buy a pressie for both of them. Then its blinking Valentines Day, and I've to buy a gift for the bloke.

Can you change your birthday by deed poll?!

P.S. I do love the early morning phone call from my nephew when we sing Happy Birthday to each other!! Its a bit bizarre!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭abrr1000

I question it no less than i question pancake tuesday :D and christmas...and chocolate day (i mean easter)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ThatGal

I agree, Valentine's Day is such a made up day! Load of rubbish!

I've never liked it, I can remember one valentine's day in primary school, think it was 1st class, a boy in the class made me a card and I ripped it up in front of him and threw it in the bin............guess I didn't like Valentine's Day much then either......

sueme wrote: »
    Then its blinking Valentines Day, and I've to buy a gift for the bloke.
    And lo, you've just perfectly illustrated one of my points. You "have to" buy a gift for your bloke - why do you "have to"?

Because of this stupid card company occasion it's a chore for you. Why bother buying him this pressie if you're not in the mood for it now? Maybe in April he'll do something to make you want to show how much you love him? Then buying a present will be perfectly appropriate and you'll actually want to get it for him - rather than feeling obliged...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I don't feel obliged to do something for my lady, I do something because I want to do something.

Any day we see one another can be "Random romantic gesture day", and often is, but Valentines is, as Monkeyfudge said, a themed day, and I view those that "hate" valentines in the same way as I view those that "hate" Christmas.

If you're arguing about spending too much money on giving one another gifts when it's really just another day, then should you not apply that same logic to birthdays and christmas too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Dudess wrote: »
    If a person wants to make a loving gesture to their significant other, why oh why can't they just do it any day of the year?

They can.
    Why do they feel the need to behave like a sheep and go along with the crowd just because Hallmark says so?
    Maybe they just enjoy it?

It's just a day - like any other ordinary day in the year. Why should a guy/girl feel guilty if they forget to spend a fortune on some lame present on 14th February?
    they shouldn't?
    Can't they get it on 15th February or 14th June?
    why not
    Do they have to get presents/cards at all?
    surely not?
    It's also pitifully insincere. A couple could be bitching and fighting all year and then they'll spend hundreds on gifts and a fancy restaurant meal. Oh and the girl will have to get all cutesy-wootsy stuff...

Well they have a lot more problems than being "sheep"
    "You're obviously single..." Nope. I've just thankfully never been taken in by the shyte that is Valentine's Day.

You are single tho, aren't you? I thought I read it in numerous threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Personally I don't really believe in Valentine's day. My OH is pretty good at surprises and we make sure to have a romantic/special evening for ourselves about once a month (special = going out for a giant feed until we can't move without waddling and then having some nice wine at home and making sure tv/laptops are off!).

I don't see the problem if people want to celebrate it though. There's no harm in it. Each to their own. Some people like to have an excuse to spoil their OH, meh it's up to them. I don't think people feel forced in to doing something. I don't know any girls who expect a lot for Valentine's and who would get upset if they didn't get anything. Just a gesture is nice. I just think, there's enough crap and badness in the world, what harm can a day do that celebrates love (ooh, that sounds very mushy, sorry!)

My and my bf agreed not to do anything this year. We have a lot of other things going on but I'll probably draw him a card or something.

ntlbell wrote:

like this one?
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55043623&postcount=68

bluewolf wrote: »

It was a question, not a factual statement.

Thanks for going to the trouble.

I hope they're very happy.

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote: »
    They can.
    What about those that don't so? You know, those folks who don't have minds of their own. And why stick rigidly to 14th February? Oh because it's just one of those "things people do"...
    Maybe they just enjoy it?
    Indeed. Maybe they do. Or maybe they consider it a pain-in-the-arse chore.
    Yep, you thought :)
    Unless you're thinking of threads going back to 2006?

I suppose it's just the spirit-crushing insincerity of Valentine's Day that gets to me...

ntlbell wrote: »
    It was a question, not a factual statement.

Thanks for going to the trouble.

I hope they're very happy.

I just happened to be reading the other one at the time, so no bother :)

What about those that don't so? You know, those folks who don't have minds of their own. And why stick rigidly to 14th February? Oh because it's just one of those "things people do"...

so what's the issue with? is it valentines day? the sheep? people that don't have a mind of their own?

I'm not sure why I had in my head you were single, maybe I read too many threads in PI.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Don't mess with V-Day! It's a grand excuse to get someone with writer's block to write me an original poem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Valentines Day is only as insincere as the couples that choose to celebrate it, there are plenty of couples out there who relish the chance to have a day to celebreate being in love. "well why can't they do it another day"? I think it's so romantic to have a day where the world celebrates love together. Maybe this is an idealistic, overly sentimental view, but I do think Valentines Day is a really sweet idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

to be honest, the thing im most looking forward to about this valentine's day is exchanging a card with the fella in person, instead of just logging in to my account to find a different e-card in every message board i visit. we'll probably celebrate it more this year because it's the first time in 2 years of valentine' days that we'll actually be in the same country.

I don't question Valentine's Day any more than I do Christmas, Easter, Pancake Tuesday or Hallowe'en.

All commercially-driven, you can buy into it if you want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I don't question valentine's day, I just ignore it completely.

Advertisement