Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big Woemen vs Small Women

• 05-02-2008 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what peoples opinions on this are. Lately Ive noticed some rather delicious plus size women. Well dressed and rather sexy. Or maybe I shoulda gone to spec savers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

Another thread about this? I think the general consensus (?) is 'different strokes for different folks' :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

cock robin wrote: »
    Or maybe I shoulda gone to spec savers.
    Should have gone to the search function.

And indeed, different strokes for different folks. And do a poll next time too (but not this time)

Now c'mon. It wouldn't be a fair fight whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

All women fall into two categories:

6 foot+ tall and 250lbs+

or

5 foot tall and 75 lbs

Gee, which will I plump for? Such a compelling thread. I think I'll go and vote for a black Taoiseach instead. Or 6th to go the full distance. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Slow coach wrote: »
    All women fall into two categories:

6 foot+ tall and 250lbs+

or

5 foot tall and 75 lbs

Gee, which will I plump for? Such a compelling thread. I think I'll go and vote for a black Taoiseach instead. Or 6th to go the full distance. :rolleyes:

I will soon have my thread with poll up about "do you take sugar in your tea"

I think it will be a big hit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Rob_l wrote: »
    I will soon have my thread with poll up about "do you take sugar in your tea"

I think it will be a big hit!

Coffee and Tea forum, It's probably being asked.

Start more threads though Rob, I like your work. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Small Woman - Eva Longoria

Big Woman - Scarlett Johannson

Personally I'd nail them both, together preferably...

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Turnip2000

Chunky girls need lovin too!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Scarlett Johansson isnt big. **** sake. Dawn French is big. France is big.
    Yeah. Totally pwnd Feelgood LOL ZOMG!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!1111

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Dawn French is big.

In fairness to la French, while she wouldn't exactly be my ideal woman, I wouldn't exactly throw her out of bed for eating biscuits (which is probably just as well, as she probably would insist on eating biscuits!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Hell I'd bring her the biscuits. If I was single and she was caring. I bet she knocks out a mean fry too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

Just wondering what peoples opinions on this are. Lately Ive noticed some rather delicious plus size women. Well dressed and rather sexy. Or maybe I shoulda gone to spec savers.

Well consider this; there are a lot more plus sized men than plus sized women in this country according to a recent study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

And according to a recent study, about a third of Brits think Churchill was a myth. Clearly not the case :rolleyes:

Mirror wrote: »
    And according to a recent study, about a third of Brits think Churchill was a myth. Clearly not the case :rolleyes:

So? You mean the stupidity displayed in one study negates all studies? :rolleyes:

No, clearly that's not what I mean. My point is studies don't really mean very much, when you've got a country of 4 million + and you use three, or ten or even fifty thousand. Congratulations, you now have figures for less than 1/80th of the population...

Not that I was interested in a debate on the matter, but if you insist on asking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

True. He wath in fact a mythter.

I think this study is a little more reliable than a bunch of uneducated Brits:

Irish Adults (18-64 years):
    • Two out of five Irish adults - 39% (46% of men; 33% of women) are overweight
    • One in five - 18% (20% of men; 16% of women) is obese.The trend towards obesity in Ireland is increasing. Since 1990 the prevalence of obesity has increased by 67% overall, up 1.25 fold in women (from 13%) and up 2.5 fold in men (from 8%)
    • Ireland has the fourth highest prevalence of overweight and obesity in men in the EU and the seventh highest prevalence among women

source:irishheart.ie

luckat wrote: »
    True. He wath in fact a mythter.
    :confused:

shinny wrote: »
    I think this study is a little more reliable than a bunch of uneducated Brits:

Irish Adults (18-64 years):
    • Two out of five Irish adults - 39% (46% of men; 33% of women) are overweight
    • One in five - 18% (20% of men; 16% of women) is obese.The trend towards obesity in Ireland is increasing. Since 1990 the prevalence of obesity has increased by 67% overall, up 1.25 fold in women (from 13%) and up 2.5 fold in men (from 8%)
    • Ireland has the fourth highest prevalence of overweight and obesity in men in the EU and the seventh highest prevalence among women

source:irishheart.ie
    What makes it more reliable? The fact that there are lots of fancy numbers?

My point was clearly lost on you...

And your assumption that the Brits surveyed were uneducated is silly. If the survey was interested in the facts they would not have solely surveyed uneducated people. I like your conclusion though. It's random.

:rolleyes:

What makes it more reliable? The fact that there are lots of fancy numbers?

My point was clearly lost on you...

And your assumption that the Brits surveyed were uneducated is silly. If the survey was interested in the facts they would not have solely surveyed uneducated people. I like your conclusion though. It's random.

:rolleyes:

Seems like someone is a little miffed at the survey !! ;)

Whats your source on the Churchill one or did you just make that up in your own head?

• Advertisement

Nope, wrong again! Just "miffed" now that once you've realised the error of your ways you've decided the best plan of action is to simply claim I'm somehow angry at the survey! :D

Found the Churchill thing in this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055231399

Nope, wrong again! Just "miffed" now that once you've realised the error of your ways you've decided the best plan of action is to simply claim I'm somehow angry at the survey! :D

Found the Churchill thing in this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055231399

I think you need to go back to school then. 23% does not equate to 1/3.

That's right, well done. My apologies for being forgetful. :/

You're skipping my point entirely though so kthxluvubye!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Feelgood wrote: »
    Small Woman - Eva Longoria

Big Woman - Scarlett Johannson

Personally I'd nail them both, together preferably...

I think Specsavers applies to you...
    Scarlett Johansson is 5'4" and quite petite. Eva Longoria is 5'2" and very petite. The only large difference is their chest size. If that makes her a big woman then you need some help

That's right, well done. My apologies for being forgetful. :/

You're skipping my point entirely though so kthxluvubye!

Not really, 33% I might have struggled with, but 23% of Brits thinking Churchill was a myth; plausible.

Not really, 33% I might have struggled with, but 23% of Brits thinking Churchill was a myth; plausible.

lol tbh!

lol tbh!

Ah, you floored me with that argument :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Size 8 - 10 only for me pleasethankyou (Currently have a size 8 and happy with it) :D

Ah, you floored me with that argument :rolleyes:
    I think it's laughable, so I laughed. I'm not going to waste my time arguing whether or not it's plausible that 1 in 4 Brits think Churchill is a myth, as it's just opinion vs. opinioin, there can be no winner.

A fair percentage of Britain were alive during his time in office! That's like asking the Irish, do you think Éamon de Valera is a myth? An equally ridiculous notion.

So here endeth the lesson.

• Advertisement

I think it's laughable, so I laughed. I'm not going to waste my time arguing whether or not it's plausible that 1 in 4 Brits think Churchill is a myth, as it's just opinion vs. opinioin, there can be no winner.

A fair percentage of Britain were alive during his time in office! That's like asking the Irish, do you think Éamon de Valera is a myth? An equally ridiculous notion.

No matter how much you try to suggest otherwise, it is possible that 1/4 think he was a myth. Many may have been alive during his time in office, but probably more than likely, many more weren't.

Besides, we don't know what age group were surveyed here. Perhaps that has skewed this figure.

We do know that in the results I gave on obesity and overweight men/women in Ireland, that it was an 18 to 64 age group. Pretty representative IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

de Valera is a myth though... isn't he? Next you're gonna tell me Bill Bailey is real I suppose

It is possible to believe that 1 in 4 of those surveyed think he is a myth!

But that those 3000 can represent the entire country is foolish to assume. And that was my point. Surveys don't stand for for much unless a large percentage of the population is accounted for and that a fair and relative number of people from different backgrounds are taken into account.

I could survey 3000 travellers and then claim that 90% of Irish are illiterate (not to be taken literally, merely a scarcastic example!), or survey 3000 Dublin City homeless junkies and conclude that our country carries the lowest levels of obesity in the EU. See what I'm saying yet?

It is possible to believe that 1 in 4 of those surveyed think he is a myth!

But that those 3000 can represent the entire country is foolish to assume. And that was my point. Surveys don't stand for for much unless a large percentage of the population is accounted for and that a fair and relative number of people from different backgrounds are taken into account.

I could survey 3000 travellers and then claim that 90% of Irish are illiterate (not to be taken literally, merely a scarcastic example!), or survey 3000 Dublin City homeless junkies and conclude that our country carries the lowest levels of obesity in the EU. See what I'm saying yet?

But a large percentage was surveyed here, so you've just discounted your own point :confused:

But a large percentage was surveyed here, so you've just discounted your own point :confused:
    Sorry, where is that stated??

Sorry, where is that stated??

It wasn't, it's in the source data.

• Advertisement

See now that's just downright stupid.

Number of people surveyed: 3,000

Population of Britain: 60,000,000 +

Relative percentage of population surveyed: 0.05%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭celt262

I wouldn't be fussy i'd do them all

See now that's just downright stupid.

Number of people surveyed: 3,000

Population of Britain: 60,000,000 +

Relative percentage of population surveyed: 0.05%

Then what are you doing using this as comparative? The obesity study is done as part of the CSO office. I don't know the exact figures, but I'd estimate it to be a lot more than 3,000 people. Their figures are always based on a large number of the population.

You've taken this from attacking my original sarcastic statement, to losing an argument, and you're still digging? When you don't even know the exact figures surveyed? I'm stepping out here, this is clearly like banging my head off a brick wall.

You've taken this from attacking my original sarcastic statement, to losing an argument, and you're still digging? When you don't even know the exact figures surveyed? I'm stepping out here, this is clearly like banging my head off a brick wall.

Ah well, at least you might lose a few pounds in the process :D;)

• Advertisement

No, clearly that's not what I mean. My point is studies don't really mean very much, when you've got a country of 4 million + and you use three, or ten or even fifty thousand. Congratulations, you now have figures for less than 1/80th of the population...

Do you understand anything about statistics or random sampling?

Why yes, yes I do. And in noting your moderation of the maths forum, I would like to point out your own use of the word random. Ergo, mathematics cannot solidly be applied.

In conclusion, if you survey 3,000 out of 60 million and give me a conclusion from that regarding something as ridiculous as believing Churchill is a myth, I'm going to lol in your face.

Why yes, yes I do. And in noting your moderation of the maths forum, I would like to point out your own use of the word random. Ergo, mathematics cannot solidly be applied.

In conclusion, if you survey 3,000 out of 60 million and give me a conclusion from that regarding something as ridiculous as believing Churchill is a myth, I'm going to lol in your face.

Well the CSO would disagree with you there. Based on your previous post (#33, I think), you haven't an iota about statistics. I guess all the hundreds of years of work that's gone into the science of statistics has all been in vain. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Well dressed and rather sexy.

There's the clue.....everyone can look good with clothes on.

Not everyone can look good nekkid.

Please, by all means, educate me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

*as a Statistical Analyst is vaguely interested in the nerd war between the Coach and Mirror*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Fey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Using Scarlett Johansson as an example of a woman who's "big" is an indication of how distorted our views on size have become.

And the guy who only goes for size 8 to 10 women: you even KNOW what that means? And you know it means no curves?

Tell me, are you a fan of Judy Garland too...?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement