Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Army In Chad

• 05-02-2008 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

I just wanted to put a post on here in honor of the Irish Army and Rangers going to Chad and their familys. And for the 8 lads over there at the moment, when the Capital got attacked.

The Irish will do great things for the people in Chad and Darfur, who need help from the Sudan Army, the Rebels and the Militia. <but we won't get political on this tread>

Heres to you lads, your making us all proud, and I hope to be by your side soon.

Also I wanted to mention : much respect to the lads who made the "Irish Army goofing around in the Lebanon" video. --> this video was a great confort to the familys of every irish family who have loved ones on away missions.

Glaine ár gcroí - (The cleanliness of our hearts)
    Neart ár ngéag - (The strength of our limbs)
    Agus beart de réir ár mbriathar - (And our commitment to our promise)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

has the recent rising of rebal forces there changed the irish mission over there and is there a chance they will see much fighting whilst there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I just wanted to put a post on here in honor of the Irish Army and Rangers going to Chad and their familys. And for the 8 lads over there at the moment, when the Capital got attacked.

One of the eight is a female!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Mrmotivator007

I know their waiting to be deployed,but why ?seems to me like an insult to the lads who are going over,the people their need their help now,I dont uinderstand it!Is it because their is a possible chance they might have to fight?and that its too dangerous for them!surely thats why their going over in the first place to help the people and to get rid of the rebels trying to take over!its seems to me like they are seen as glorified aid workers,and not soldiers,which is what they are and trained to do:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Mairt ... i dont no where u get ur info...Assuming that all 8 people over there are arw one of them is most certinally not a women.. as there has never been or is there a women in the rdf... nor do i doubt that a women would be selected to be in an advance party

I know their waiting to be deployed,but why ?seems to me like an insult to the lads who are going over,the people their need their help now,I dont uinderstand it!Is it because their is a possible chance they might have to fight?and that its too dangerous for them!surely thats why their going over in the first place to help the people and to get rid of the rebels trying to take over!its seems to me like they are seen as glorified aid workers,and not soldiers,which is what they are and trained to do:confused:

My god.. do u not watch the news... the rangers are being sent with a group of enginners to build a base.. they are taking almost 400 tons of equipment with them and as the airport has been closed due to the fact that the rebels are too close they have no where to land the planes therefore they can not go..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

It's gas how the news here didn't pick up on it when there were irish guys working for a local company there when the **** hit the fan on thursday last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Sean/Telnor

twinytwo wrote: »
    Mairt ... i dont no where u get ur info...Assuming that all 8 people over there are arw one of them is most certinally not a women.. as there has never been or is there a women in the rdf... nor do i doubt that a women would be selected to be in an advance party

Just to point out not all 8 are ARW Also, there is no way any of us would know if there are any women in the Rangers as we are not army, and anyone army, would have more respect than to talk about it. anyway there are engeniers and site surveyor's (all soldiers) and the head of the Rangers - these are scouting out where to build the base for the irish soldiers and there could be more than one woman over there too.

The reason they couldn't go was because the airport we would fly into is being used to get the civilians out of the city (americans, french, etc) if we land the huge cargo plane in the airport and start unloading, it would mean that we just trapped all civilians in the airport while we are there.... not a good idea when the city is in panic and under attack.

We will go in, but we need to make sure we won't put civilians into a dangerous situation. We are (and so are the french) fully trained - being engaged in a fight or two is likely, haveing 3000 rebels attacking us is also likley, but our lads are trained fully for it.

When Chad Capital is back to order, we will go on with the origional mission - 1) build a secure base for the Irish Defence force
    2) Protect All civilians
    3) Insure refugee camps are safe and sucure
    4) protect food and supplies for refuges
    5) protect the border of chad and darfur

this is harder than you think because the rebels, army militia, and sudan army want the oppisite to these.... yep... which means trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Just to point out not all 8 are ARW Also, there is no way any of us would know if there are any women in the Rangers as we are not army, and anyone army, would have more respect than to talk about it.

just to point out that that there are many many people in the army and ex-army on this board and it is common knowledge that there are no women in the ARW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Chuck U Farley

kaimera wrote: »
    It's gas how the news here didn't pick up on it when there were irish guys working for a local company there when the **** hit the fan on thursday last week.

[FONT=&quot]The Irish media coverage of Chad has been limited to say the least, check out the media link posted by free lance guys on the ground. [/FONT]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocWGHNh3N0U

Your assuming they're all ARW.

• Advertisement

well a woman could have just got through this year.... ya never know. haha sure that doesn't matter anyway, i dont pertend to know too much about ARW... I wish i did. :) anyway yeah, one of the 8 could be a woman alright cause not all are ARW thats a fact, Army spokesperson was saying it to the news.

I'd say the ARW are in no rush to drop them selfs in the center of danger. the fighting has calmed down but rebels are still out there and we will be seeing alot more of them alright.

In my personal opionion, the french army are a good army to be fighting beside if the Sh*t hits the fan. Apperently they ( The soldiers)have said the same about our army.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭elvis jaffacake

well a woman could have just got through this year....
    Doubt it, no selection this year.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

The reason they aren't sending troops in is because there is a chance rebels could seize the airport..If advance party touches down to find out the city/airport has been seized they are in deep ****.That means no base to be built and nowhere to store equipment..never mind the fact they would be surrounded by 1000+ rebels..

It's not a case of DF not wanting them to see action..it's a case of the DF being afraid to send them into certain death/capture..which would be on the cards if airport/city were seized

My god.. do u not watch the news... the rangers are being sent with a group of enginners to build a base.. they are taking almost 400 tons of equipment with them and as the airport has been closed due to the fact that the rebels are too close they have no where to land the planes therefore they can not go..

Hitting the nail on the head.

Chad has no sea ports to land, we're not about to parachute in so that leaves an airport which is surrounded by war, oh and we're hiring a civilian 'plane to do the chalks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Bam Bam

Thats right no women in the RDF, you heard it here first :D

bam bam that was a typo ... u no thinking one thing typing another i ment arw

Doubt it, no selection this year.....:rolleyes:

Any one no why there was no selection this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 iwishicould

Any one no why there was no selection this year?

I assume it's because majority if not all were on standby/training for the Chad mission

I assume it's because majority if not all were on standby/training for the Chad mission

I'd say that was the reason alright. they have to make sure Chad is concern No1 but it means that they will more than likley take twice as much next time - thats if the people make it through of course. whoya to me ;) will be the hardiest test ever!! lol

Lifes an adventure.... live it!

try say that when your crawling/crying you way up tonelagee! ;)

• Advertisement

king-stew wrote: »
    try say that when your crawling/crying you way up tonelagee! ;)

haha your not the first one to tell me that haha. hopefully medical and fitness will go well and i will get picked to train (but thats another tread) :)

I heard about lads breaking down during the training. nasty stuff. but i plan is to take the abuse and screaming and try to take the pain. can't wait....really... looking forward to it.

Might end up going to Chad myself within a year. ya never know.

I'd say that was the reason alright. they have to make sure Chad is concern No1 but it means that they will more than likley take twice as much next time - thats if the people make it through of course. whoya to me ;) will be the hardiest test ever!! lol

if i recall is there not between 120 to 150 rangers... with fifty going to chad.. i mean how many would it take to run selection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Bam Bam

Unless there are already rangers sneaking about in Chad......

DUN DUN DUUUUUUUN.

Re. a female in Chad at the moment. I was mistaken.

if i recall is there not between 120 to 150 rangers... with fifty going to chad.. i mean how many would it take to run selection
    Enough to make it not possible this year, remember they have lot's of other things ongoing,.

Selection IS going ahead..soon..ad's are already up in Barracks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

This will be a difficult mission.

I've spent years around nasty parts of Africa and I really don't envy these guys going in. It will not be like anything they've experienced before. They'll earn their crust, be under no illusions on that.

Sudan is the Bogey Man.

Good luck guys.

eroo wrote: »
    Selection IS going ahead..soon..ad's are already up in Barracks..

i assume he was talking about the last selection course that was due for october i think and was cancelled with only a handful of weeks to go

oh right,I misunderstood! :)

• Advertisement

would on ebe able to apply for the rangers as soon as basic training is finished.. assuming its near selection time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

would on ebe able to apply for the rangers as soon as basic training is finished.. assuming its near selection time?

Yes. Probably a good time to go down since all tactics will be still fresh in your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Good luck to them.

Thats it. you are able to apply as soon as you become a 3 star (after 6 months training) and its the best time to do it, because you will be at the peak of your fitness and things fresh in your head (this will test fitness alright and much much more) they have great doc's about it on www.military.ie

I will do my best for it. but
    step 1 get in (lol)
    step 2 do the 6 months training
    step 3 to go for rangers.

Thats it. you are able to apply as soon as you become a 3 star (after 6 months training) and its the best time to do it, because you will be at the peak of your fitness and things fresh in your head (this will test fitness alright and much much more) they have great doc's about it on www.military.ie

step 1 get in (lol)
    step 3 to go for rangers.

Are you in the Defence Forces?

Are you in the Defence Forces?

not yet. them three steps are for me too. lol :)

im going for my medical next week. got past the interview. med and fitness shouldn't be a problem at all. looking forward to starting. I'm counting the days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

im going for my medical next week. got past the interview. med and fitness shouldn't be a problem at all. looking forward to starting. I'm counting the days.

Good luck with getting in;), but be aware that after you have received confirmation that you are accepted it could be some months before you actualy start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Good luck to all heading to Chad, i only thought there were about 100 Rangers? Same sizewise as the SAS?

step 1 get in (lol)
    step 2.5 Spend amount of time learning to be a good effective soldier
    step 3 Attempt to go for rangers.
    There fixed it for you, if you have the idea that you will waltz through selection, you are very verrrrry much mistaken son, plenty of quality men who spent years in the DF have tried and not made it, it's not for everyone, it takens a certain something, it doesn't mean the Rangers are the finest soldiers to walk this country, it is just they suit that job, just like the EOD guys suit theirs, the AC pilots, Chef's ect ect, everyone is good at something

.....BTW do not mention the wing at your interview, at any time during the enlistment process or during recruit training......it will be..."unpleasent";)

Steyr wrote: »
    Good luck to all heading to Chad, i only thought there were about 100 Rangers? Same sizewise as the SAS?
    The wing would be closer to the SB's in size, the Desmonds are quite a bit larger

There fixed it for you, if you have the idea that you will waltz through selection, you are very verrrrry much mistaken son,
    .....BTW do not mention the wing at your interview, at any time during the enlistment process or during recruit training......it will be..."unpleasent";)

haha thanks for the fix. dont worry i am under no such illusuion i assure you. did ya ever hear the saying "if your not in, ya cant win" its worth the try, i could very have what it takes, if not i will find out, when i go for it.

Your 100% right, i thought this myself with the whole interview process and all. dont mention it. good advice. too many kids go in saying "I want to be a ranger" lol not a good idea at all.
    Failing the rangers isn't the end of the world, next step is work up to NCO :cool:

• Advertisement

Please stop giving advice informing the rest of us the composition of the ARW/Army as your not in a position to do so.

You seem to forget the is members of the DF on the Board and that type of comes across as walter mitty .

Please stop giving advice informing the rest of us the composition of the ARW/Army as your not in a position to do so.

You seem to forget the is members of the DF on the Board and that type of comes across as walter mitty .

Good call/advice.

Ya get in first..get a fcukload of experience(couple of years I'd imagine) and then maybe go for it.

I'm an RDF recruit and the basics take a while to learn.YES you will learn them incredibly faster in PDF:eek::p but learning them,and being good at them are entirely different things.Btw,applying after basic won't even happen..simply because your OC almost definitely won't let you(imo) go for it after only 16 weeks of soldiering done..experience is gained not through basic but threw training and ex's,duties etc.At least that is what I would think..****ed if I know tbh..the PDF lads can tell you.
    Anywho,best of luck..we all have our own ambitions!

Sorry if it came across that i knew loads about the ARW or was giving advice about it (which i wasn't) - im only a civi. i dont pertend to know much about it, just what i was told by people in the PDF, docs from the army made public and the media. the three steps i was talking about man were only there for a laugh, not for people to get stressed about :)
    but thats going off topic anyway. no offence intended

The rangers im sure we can all agree are the best at what they do, and im sure they will have a hard time being in the middle of Chad & Darfur trouble but i wish them all the best - them and all the other members of the defence force going over, I know a few people going and I know they can handel anything that might happens and do the job they are there to do.

Hey man here is a good Doc on ARW from military.ie

http://www.military.ie/dfhq/pubrel/publications/connect/Connect-12-7.pdf

It tells you about what is required to get in. Lets you know what these lads done when they went for it. it looks really tough.

lads not to burst bubbles but i dont think ya can go straight from training down there anymore, on my prelims all the "862 ****heads" were told not to come back for selection!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

I Read the thread title and nil else.

Paddy has got his work cut out for him on this mission, do not underestimate the risk here, this is an area twice the size of Europe going tits up overnight.

As an aside, anyone traveling there, send me a PM if you want beer, got mates in country with a secure corridor for this stuff...

Get your priorities in order...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 brando08

Lads selection is not that hard just look at some off the muppets down there.Yes the ranger wing is a good unit for irish army standard but its no SAS. And anyone who thinks different should take their head out the clouds.

brando08 wrote: »
    Lads selection is not that hard just look at some off the muppets down there.Yes the ranger wing is a good unit for irish army standard but its no SAS. And anyone who thinks different should take their head out the clouds.

what year did you pass it mate?

brando08 wrote: »

Seeing that you seem to speak from experience (I mean you're probably not retarded enough to assume that the SAS are better then the Rangers :rolleyes:) how did you find yourself serving in both armies??

Also, what colour is the boathouse in Hereford? Also, what does Andy Mc Nab look like?? You must be a wealth of info and a keeper for this board!

• Advertisement
Advertisement