Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Army In Chad

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭elvis jaffacake

Seeing that you seem to speak from experience (I mean you're probably not retarded enough to assume that the SAS are better then the Rangers :rolleyes:) how did you find yourself serving in both armies??

Also, what colour is the boathouse in Hereford? Also, what does Andy Mc Nab look like?? You must be a wealth of info and a keeper for this board!
    The boathouse was sadly overrun by the local gay community, so there is still rubber worn there but not the dive suit verity

Steven's a short guy, nails though, bit tubbier these Day's, writer of crap but well selling thrillers...

brando08 wrote: »
    Lads selection is not that hard just look at some off the muppets down there.Yes the ranger wing is a good unit for irish army standard but its no SAS. And anyone who thinks different should take their head out the clouds.
    What's your point, you dont think any elite/special unit doesn't have their "10%'ers"?, the SAS have them, the SBS,, Christ one guy in Delta force is serving multiple life terms right now for being a serial rapist, a Navy SEAL is serving time on drugs charges, there are 3 Army Rangers who are up in court soon for ripping off drug dealers...I think the wing's "muppets" are ok.:rolleyes:

And I'll gladly remove my head from the cloud's when you remove your's from your arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 brando08

Seeing that you seem to speak from experience (I mean you're probably not retarded enough to assume that the SAS are better then the Rangers :rolleyes:) how did you find yourself serving in both armies??

Also, what colour is the boathouse in Hereford? Also, what does Andy Mc Nab look like?? You must be a wealth of info and a keeper for this board!

Mate come on! how can ya compare the two units. I dont need to have been in the SAS to know the experience they have. And while i did say the rangers are a good unit they cant compare on this level with the SAS. When have the rangers ever been in conflict, NEVER! Because at the end off the day they are still a unit off the Irish army.

Great he's been writing a reply for the last 5 minutes....this should be good.:D

Edited:, as I thought, buh buh

Mate come on! how can ya compare the two units. I dont need to have been in the SAS to know the experience they have. And while i did say the rangers are a good unit they cant compare on this level with the SAS. When have the rangers ever been in conflict, NEVER! Because at the end off the day they are still a unit off the Irish army.
    Yes you do have to have been there to know, otherwise your opinion means sweet FA, just like I couldn't understand what an astronaut does, or king-stew probably couldn't tell what a heart surgeon does, I have this awful feeling that alot of these "opinions" on the SAS are based on books and documentries, the mythologising that's been going on for the last 25+ years is ridiculous, a blade put's on his pant's the same way you do, he is not a ninjasamuristevenhawkingdeathdealingsuperwarrior, and yes they can compare, how in God's name do you know what they have done since 1980, were you there with them in Liberia?, East Timor?, Somalia?, are you in Chad right now?, they have met some of this planets most unpleasent people face to face son,
    so please no lectures on them just because you haven't seen an "ARW-Are you tough enough" or read "bravo 2 langer", frankly they don't need me here cheerleading for them, they have the respect of the guy's in other unit's, the NZSAS, the Aussie SASR (obviously who know **** all as they are not the Brit SAS:rolleyes:), USSF ect ect, you know who'll be out in Chad with them, the French SF not exactly a bunch a school girls, would they work with them if they thought the lacked something?....lecture over.:o

You have not got a clue what you are on about. What i am saying is fact! and i do know what i am talking about.

You have not got a clue what you are on about. What i am saying is fact! and i do know what i am talking about.
    O

yeah I see this is going to be another one of those "me Vs the walt" type deal's" which will get this thread closed, so what the hell, you win you were in the SAS....chugga and all that Para ****e

No mate in the irish army myself, and i dont win anything its not a competition.All i am saying is the ranger wing( and this is from first hand experience) are not what some people think. Good unit but lack experience.

No mate in the irish army myself, and i dont win anything its not a competition.All i am saying is the ranger wing( and this is from first hand experience) are not what some people think. Good unit but lack experience.
    So you were in the wing?, that would be first hand experience, if your not then you don't, vast majority of people in the DF's don't have day to day dealings with them, and I've reviewed your previous and found this comment
    Lads what do you expect from the irish army its a joke.
    what an odd comment from a serving member, if you don't like it, there's the door, be gone

so what's your rank ect ect? we might know some of the same jokes, PM if you want

I'm off for the evening, so you'll have time to jog the marbles and we'll all be best buddies tomorrow

• Advertisement

Haha you would make a good detective. I am going no where i have 8 more years untill my pension, cant knock that. Have to be a really good job for me to leave that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

Failled Selection:rolleyes:

So you were in the wing?, that would be first hand experience, if your not then you don't, vast majority of people in the DF's don't have day to day dealings with them, and I've reviewed your previous and found this comment

what an odd comment from a serving member, if you don't like it, there's the door, be gone

so what's your rank ect ect? we might know some of the same jokes, PM if you want

I'm off for the evening, so you'll have time to jog the marbles and we'll all be best buddies tomorrow

I'm 14 years in the DF and have meet loads of Rangers. They haven't fired alot of rounds down range but that doesn't make them inexperienced.

They are the Best at what they do but as you've already said Other SF Units wouldn't work/train with them if they were lacking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Flying

The Wing and the rest of the unit won't make a great impact literally because of size over there, the french are the ones to make the impact moreso.

Although I have faith in our own the fact that the numbers are so small will cause problems to cover a place that large...

They did a good job in the previous UNIFIL 1 mission as they nearly because the biggest BN there but Chad has yet to be seen and the logisitics apparently are a nightmare as told to me by one of the CQ's going out, there is no resupply from the Navy as was in the Leb or the other missions but overall I hope they are alright.

They are the Best at what they do but as you've already said Other SF Units wouldn't work/train with them if they were lacking.
    Despite what's been said here...numerous times:rolleyes:, the Rangers are deeply respected by other SOF's around the place, they have nothing to prove to anyone, Ireland could do with another 100 of them....**** anyone could;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

, everyone knows everyone, or your one of those only in the DF's, 40+ year old private, which means you were pretty much a failure.

I know alot of 40+ year old privates who I'd never consider failures at soldiering. I know one with 16 oversea's tour's of duty, hardly a failure.

A lot of guys of that age & in small corp units were caught in the recruiting embargo during the 80's and early 90's when the army stood still for almost ten year's. Lads didn't retire so vacancies didn't turn up too often, then when vacancies did come up the competition went to the senior men and not to those deserving on merit.

Also in those times lads commit to other things like getting married & starting families, wages were sh*t so other lads went oversea's for money or got nixer's and by the time the embargo was lifted and people started to move up in ranks etc those same lads had other commitments.

I think your showing some immaturity by calling them ''failures''.

And the way your 'speaking' to Brando here, we all pretty much get along with each other and don't appricate a bully in our ranks. I'd suggest leaving him alone or moderate your attitude to him a little.

If you consider Brando talking BS here take it to PM's & get on with things, or ignore him.

Thats all, back to happy families.

I have plenty of friends who have done 15 years + as Privates and they are solid soldiers they simply did not get the breaks unlike the poltiical appointee's etc off which I know one former BSM who got that rank at 25.

Also in the Navy I know several Able Ratings who have 22 years + done and are great seamen etc

As for abuse Elvis you seem to wade into accuse people of talking BS and have a superiorty complex, ask people to answer questions via PM so you can turn around and call them liars...Most people wont answer any questions via any means unless personally know me being one, so I am reporting you for constant abuse and flaming off several members of this section weither they are full of BS or not.

• Advertisement

Mairt wrote: »
    I know alot of 40+ year old privates who I'd never consider failures at soldiering. I know one with 16 oversea's tour's of duty, hardly a failure.

A lot of guys of that age & in small corp units were caught in the recruiting embargo during the 80's and early 90's when the army stood still for almost ten year's. Lads didn't retire so vacancies didn't turn up too often, then when vacancies did come up the competition went to the senior men and not to those deserving on merit.

Also in those times lads commit to other things like getting married & starting families, wages were sh*t so other lads went oversea's for money or got nixer's and by the time the embargo was lifted and people started to move up in ranks etc those same lads had other commitments.

I think your showing some immaturity by calling them ''failures''.

And the way your 'speaking' to Brando here, we all pretty much get along with each other and don't appricate a bully in our ranks. I'd suggest leaving him alone or moderate your attitude to him a little.

If you consider Brando talking BS here take it to PM's & get on with things, or ignore him.

Thats all, back to happy families.
    Ok I apologise for that, cheap jibe on my part:o

I get on perfectly well with everyone else here bar a certain few individuals, ok if this is a feather boa's and touchy feey zone I'll refrain from posting to that certain type of person....we all happy campers now?:cool:

Flying wrote: »
    I have plenty of friends who have done 15 years + as Privates and they are solid soldiers they simply did not get the breaks unlike the poltiical appointee's etc off which I know one former BSM who got that rank at 25.

Also in the Navy I know several Able Ratings who have 22 years + done and are great seamen etc

As for abuse Elvis you seem to wade into accuse people of talking BS and have a superiorty complex, ask people to answer questions via PM so you can turn around and call them liars...Most people wont answer any questions via any means unless personally know me being one, so I am reporting you for constant abuse and flaming off several members of this section weither they are full of BS or not.
    Apologiesed already, but fire away with the complaint, am I supposed to beg you not too?:rolleyes:

wait a minute, didn't I ask you before for any proof that you were a pathfinder?...simple question no persec/opsec/secsec involved, never did hear back....anyway, good luck with the forum everyone, I'm off to play counter strike....thats were I learned my stuff:cool:

Apologiesed already, but fire away with the complaint, am I supposed to beg you not too?:rolleyes:

wait a minute, didn't I ask you before for any proof that you were a pathfinder?...simple question no persec/opsec/secsec involved, never did hear back....anyway, good luck with the forum everyone, I'm off to play counter strike....thats were I learned my stuff:cool:

You did and again none of your business, so I will let the mods decide

Mind the door doesn't smack you on the arse on the way out :D

But seriously, no one is asking you to leave. But the reality is that this forum needs very little attention from its Moderators & another reality is that most of us here have probably met in real life, or even work in the same barracks etc.

We 'get along' here, its that simple. No one 'makes' us get along, its just the way of this forum.

But anyway, if you decide not to post again thats up to you entirely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

If you lads fight half as well in the field as you do in this forum we can sleep safe in our beds. :D

• Advertisement

Mairt wrote: »
    Mind the door doesn't smack you on the arse on the way out :D

But seriously, no one is asking you to leave. But the reality is that this forum needs very little attention from its Moderators & another reality is that most of us here have probably met in real life, or even work in the same barracks etc.

We 'get along' here, its that simple. No one 'makes' us get along, its just the way of this forum.

But anyway, if you decide not to post again thats up to you entirely.
    The door's on this place hurt your arse indeed ouch, jeez the mod's should check them out:(

I'm not leaving, I'm just....modifying my somewhat aggressive stance towards the walting community here (they know who they are):rolleyes: I'm taking your advice Mairt, I'll try and help the young ones with what advice I have to give, and ignore the little distractions....apologies to anyone who found me a prick, I come off a little strong in my opinions sometimes:o

Hagar wrote: »
    If you lads fight half as well in the field as you do in this forum we can sleep safe in our beds. :D
    I one slashed myself accross the leg's with an entrenching tool...I'm the last person you want on a battlefield:o......I do nice knitwork though:cool:

Eeek :eek:

Gimme my LA30 I'm going flat, ''battle field'' my arse I didn't sign up for that!.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

So long as it's not with each other ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Quis Separabit

Failled Selection:rolleyes:

I'm 14 years in the DF and have meet loads of Rangers. They haven't fired alot of rounds down range but that doesn't make them inexperienced.

>>>>they are the best at what they do.
    What peacekeeping ?

What peacekeeping ?

Ok I'm going to be super sweet, but why drag this back to were it was, we have all moved on, if your PF or the other one come back to enlighten everyone...don't bother.

Ok I'm going to be super sweet, but why drag this back to were it was, we have all moved on, if your PF or the other one come back to enlighten everyone...don't bother.

The poster claimed the ARW were the best special forces unit at what they do.

:D:D:D

I simply asked if he meant peace keeping

The poster claimed the ARW were the best special forces unit.

:D:D:D

No such thing as the "best" in that line of work, you either do or do not do, everything else is pointless posturing

No such thing as the "best" in that line of work, you either do or do not do, everything else is pointless posturing

Which in Ireland the ARW do not. In their two biggest ops against the PIRA, the PIRA came out on tops both times, Dominach Maglinchy also escaped a rangers ambush from A farmhouse they surrounded.

One ARW soldier was killed during the Troubles by the PIRA. This happened on December 16, 1983, when the PIRA kidnapped a supermarket executive named Don Tidey. He was traced to Ballinamore in County Leitrim and in the subsequent shootout, a trainee Garda and an Irish Army soldier were killed. was traced to Ballinamore in County Leitrim and in the subsequent shootout, a trainee Garda and an Irish Army soldier were killed.

Are you sure those were Rangers?BTW did Dominic McGlinchey ever "escape" a farm, you see, that farm is about, 2 1/4 miles from my home town in a place called Lislea In County Clare, My Dad is friends with the people who owned it.....he didn't escape from that house and as far as I'm aware the soldier killed in 1983 was not a Ranger either...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

Are you sure those were Rangers?BTW did Dominic McGlinchey ever "escape" a farm, you see, that farm is about, 2 1/4 miles from my home town in a place called Lislea In County Clare, My Dad is friends with the people who owned it.....he didn't escape from that house and as far as I'm aware the soldier killed in 1983 was not a Ranger either...

Correct, they weren't ARW.

And before Pathfinder gets his panties in a knot(again) I was referring to the Best of the DF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

well said elvis

well said elvis
    Thank you...thank you very much...huh huh

:D

Which in Ireland the ARW do not. In their two biggest ops against the PIRA, the PIRA came out on tops both times, Dominach Maglinchy also escaped a rangers ambush from A farmhouse they surrounded.

One ARW soldier was killed during the Troubles by the PIRA. This happened on December 16, 1983, when the PIRA kidnapped a supermarket executive named Don Tidey. He was traced to Ballinamore in County Leitrim and in the subsequent shootout, a trainee Garda and an Irish Army soldier were killed. was traced to Ballinamore in County Leitrim and in the subsequent shootout, a trainee Garda and an Irish Army soldier were killed.

Thats BS he was not ARW and all off the above is crap aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Get your facts right - the soldier shot was not a ranger - they weren't involved in that operation - he was a member of the 6th Bn.

What peacekeeping ?

oh look it is Pathfinder circumventing his ban, **** off you little toe rag and troll elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

What Flying said!!!!

Lads report posts, don't engage in this crap.

I'm getting browned off with this back seat modding,
    Consider this a warning next one gets a ban.
    Can you hear me Woody?

Just for the record, that was not aimed at Mairt.
    Thanks for trying to keep things on the rails. ;)

/Edit/

Flying,

Your are indefinitely banned from the Military Forum for being repeatedly intentionally disruptive.
    I also believe that you are a re-registered site banned poster formerly know as Woody. If this is confirmed a site ban will follow.

Update.

Flying has been perm site-banned. Now lets forget about him and get on with it.

• Advertisement

It was reported in the media at the time he was.

The ARW were definitely involved in the McGlinchey fiasco.

Flying wrote: »
    oh look it is Pathfinder circumventing his ban, **** off you little toe rag and troll elsewhere

I am not the said poster, the mod can check my IP address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Are u on something... what age are u seriously??..10.. u are yet another one of the fast growing gang "Keyboard Warriors"..You have no idea what your on about as only a serving/past member of the sas/arw can state what their training etc is or is not...Im willing to bet my car that you are not a serving member of or ever will be in any army except that of the "Keyboard Warriors"... The sooner the better you take your head out of your ass and realise that no one cares for your ill-informed and clueless thoughts about things that you no nothing of the better off we will be. Maybe you can gather your fellow "Keyboard Warriors" and take a running leap off a really big cliff and do us all a favor

Twinytwo - One and only warning, no more personal abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Sean/Telnor

my god lads, you must have been all really bored over the weekend..... was it a full moon or something.... what was up with all the abuse to each other.

As Mairt said, please report the abuse not respond to it. You will end up having this Tread closed down if not.

The ERU were there, and thats the last I'll say on that.....I said I wouldn't dive in stud's up anymore and I won't, believe me or not, your choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

The ERU were there, and thats the last I'll say on that.....I said I wouldn't dive in stud's up anymore and I won't, believe me or not, your choice.
    Hmmm..strange seeing as the ERU were only formed in 1987:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Sean/Telnor

eroo wrote: »

lol

ANNnnnnnyway haha

any1 know when we are due to go to chad yet, last i heard it was put off again (like a week ago)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Chuck U Farley

Was it not the Garda SB that did the plugging on that eventful day?

This is Chad, I can't see Lislea or Dominic McGlinchy on the map anywhere, please try get back on topic. Thanks. ;)

chad.jpg

eroo wrote: »
    Your of course right, except the ERU was not "formed" so much as a renamed unit (the old STF), and given extra job's, the same way the wing traces their history back to the 60's although they only formed up in 1980.:)

waitaminute...your that kid "eroo" from IMO?...jeez were you even born then?......I feel old

• Advertisement
Advertisement