Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kneeling

• 05-02-2008 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭

Its an aspect of American football that I've never agreed with. Teams running out the clock while hanging on to a slender lead can be a very anti climatic end to some games.

Say you introduce a rule where if you don't advance the ball 2 yards on a down within the last 2 minutes, the clock stops. This would force teams to at least play to the end. What are peoples thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,314 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Nothing wrong with the rule. You going to stop footballers running into the corner in injury time? Rugby players holding it in a ruck for 3 minutes? Part of the game...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,193 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

If you don't like them running out the clock:
    • Keep possession.
    • Keep ahead score-wise
    • Don't turnover the ball
    • yada yada

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

when taking the ball into the corner in soccer or holding it in a ruck in rugby there is still a chance for the other team to contest for the ball.in NFL, theres no way to combat a kneel down. A bit different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

There is actually. Defensive lineman can dive between the centre's legs and try to swat the ball or force a fumble. It's viewed as a bit ungentlemantly unless you inform the other team that you're going to contest the snap but in close games can happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

as someone said, it happens in all sports. Rugby in a ruck, and while there is a slight chance you can get the ball back, it very rarely happens. Soccer you have more chance, but still, teams just pass it around at the back or take it into the corner and run down the clock. Aussie rules, players just keep passing it around in circles and taking marks. Can even happen in Galeic football too, players just keeping posession and going around in circles. It not a big deal and something that has always been there and is a given in the game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Wrecking Crew

vorbis wrote: »
    Its an aspect of American football that I've never agreed with. Teams running out the clock while hanging on to a slender lead can be a very anti climatic end to some games.

Say you introduce a rule where if you don't advance the ball 2 yards on a down within the last 2 minutes, the clock stops. This would force teams to at least play to the end. What are peoples thoughts?

I think Herm Edwards might agree with you. The Giants wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

It makes no difference IMO because teams realise how many timeouts the other team has left etc. so when there is 2mins left on the clock they know they need to stop them on 3rd down otherwise they'll just kneel and run out the clock. The 'climax' just happens earlier rather then with 20 seconds left on the clock.

There was a situation earlier last season when the Eagles beat the Cowboys in Dallas 10-6. The Eagles had possession and were picking up first downs and chewing up the clock. Then Westbrook broke a biggie and rather than stroll into the endzone for an easy 7 and an 11 point lead, he sat down on the 1 and the Eagles ran out the clock. Had he scored, the second most explosive offence in football would have had the ball back with more than 2 minutes on the clock. Chance for quick score, an onside kick and a chance to win the game. Instead, the Eagles knelt.

Games have been blown easier than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Slow coach wrote: »
    There was a situation earlier last season when the Eagles beat the Cowboys in Dallas 10-6. The Eagles had possession and were picking up first downs and chewing up the clock. Then Westbrook broke a biggie and rather than stroll into the endzone for an easy 7 and an 11 point lead, he sat down on the 1 and the Eagles ran out the clock. Had he scored, the second most explosive offence in football would have had the ball back with more than 2 minutes on the clock. Chance for quick score, an onside kick and a chance to win the game. Instead, the Eagles knelt.
    I saw that game. That play by westbrook was one of the best I have ever seen, not the run, but the brains to fall on the 1 yard and not run in for the score.

I saw that game. That play by westbrook was one of the best I have ever seen, not the run, but the brains to fall on the 1 yard and not run in for the score.

He was told to before the play. By Runyan, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

Slow coach wrote: »
    He was told to before the play. By Runyan, I think.

Runyan claimed the credit for it, I think he said he was shouting at Westbrook for the length of the run to get on the ground. Great play, I believe a lot of fantasy football owners were not happy about losing a TD though...

Advertisement