Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Media Player 11 Complete Crap

• 05-02-2008 10:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭

God dammit I am pissed. Read here, this happened me: http://metaxucafe.com/cafe/article/microsoft_windows_media_player_11_alert_warning/

It would appear that when I installed Windows Media Player 11 without prompt or permission it automatically converted dozens of my music files from MP3 to M4a, renamed them and organised them according to album.

I am very fucking pissed off.

I use WINAMP for listening to music. Winamp can't run m4a files at ALL! I feel like ripping someone's throat out.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I don't have itunes installed. I'm rolling back to Windows Media Player 10 and never, ever updating it again.

Then I'm going to go ram an iron rod through Bill Gates' brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If you're importing music into the iTunes library, it won't convert the format to anything else unless specified.

If you're importing music into the iTunes library, it won't convert the format to anything else unless specified.

It will if they're wma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Stop talking about itunes, I don't have itunes, this has nothing to do with itunes.

• Advertisement

I don't see why we can't since you only created the thread for a rant and didn't ask any questions or for help. :) It's just funny two threads on the same topic in such a short space of time. I can't say i've ever had any problems with wmp11 *shrugs* /walks off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

I have a huge collection of music on my HTPC , over 3000 albums , and if that happened to me I would be livid ....

However I honestly thought until I read this that itunes was the only program that would do this ,

One way to avoid it however , is to never ever let any program " manage" your music for you , including itunes ,

once they're slapped into submission like this , they all play nice , and so do media player , media center , and so on ,

Im that paranoid about any " helpful " program messing up my carefully thought out artwork and classification system that Ive always made all my music folders read only and never give any program free reign. Its also backed up about four times , it took months to get it the way I wanted and I'd be sick if this happened to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭tommylizard

ouch. thats got to hurt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Same thing happened with me and now when I rip a CD and try to sync it with my MP3 player Media Player 11 tries to sync ALL of my music not just the music that I select.

I never thought I would ever say this but I am start to miss SonicStage :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

mathias wrote: »
    Im that paranoid about any " helpful " program messing up my carefully thought out artwork and classification system that Ive always made all my music folders read only and never give any program free reign. Its also backed up about four times , it took months to get it the way I wanted and I'd be sick if this happened to me.

+1 . If you couldnt bear to lose your data back it up ! Like most people , I learned that the hard way ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

just wondering if you restore your computer to an earlier point would this restore the music the way it was ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

never heard of this happening OP, weird that it chose to convert the files to m4a of all things i would have thought if anything it would have used wmv??
    Only way i can see it getting to m4a is if there was a codec for it installed

How was mp10 set up for ripping cd's??? was it rip to mp3 or m4a?

there is a setting in MP11 under options / library
    renmae music files using rip settings
    and another
    rearrange music in rip folder using rip music setting

both of these are unchecked by default as far as i know, and from what you say the would appear to have been checked and enabled for you. + under the rip music tab in options it would need to be set to m4a for what u described to happen and as i said m4a is not an option there unless there is a codec installed and its been set as the rip format.

other than that i cant say what happened in ur case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

dsane1 wrote: »
    just wondering if you restore your computer to an earlier point would this restore the music the way it was ?

no, system restore is for system files and registry settings, if it modified files your last weeks work would disapper, so no joy there

if important files ever go missing then simply restore them from your backup, if you dont have a backup then you don't really fully have the originals either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

This is why I use Media Player Classic for my video and Winamp for my audio. Neither of them have a library and I import the files I want to play from my own filing system and have unchecked 'add files to library as they are played option' in both players. In fact I don't think Media Player Classic has a library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭St0n3d

Yep :D

Klite codecs and winamp are all the audio and movie perv will need.

At most, have windows M 10 which comes installed on my sp2 pro windows, its needed for DRM issues and also for some other codecs. Otherwise scrap all Ms players , kill them all :<

Advertisement