Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BIOS not activating CPU fan?

• 05-02-2008 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

A few weeks ago I was having a problem with my laptop not posting. I eventually managed to get into it and update the BIOS and all seems to be working fine now except for the CPU fan. It used to turn on fairly regularly but I noticed that now it wasn't turning on at all. I downloaded I8kfangui which allowed me to control the fan as I wished. I can turn off I8k's fan control and watch the temperature rise all the way up to 80 degrees before I get concerned and turn the fan control back on again. Shouldn't the BIOS kick the fans in itself if it gets that hot? It's a Dell Inspiron 6400 with a Core Duo T2300. Also what temperature range should I be ideally keeping it at?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

how do you know the bios is responsible for the fan?

80degrees is hot, but not sure its a bios related issue.

the fans work on ik8?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭-annex-

Doesn't the BIOS always control the fan? I've never had any third party fan software before and the fan always came on. But yes they work fine with ik8. I might try to use some arctic silver on the heatsink because it the CPU doesn't seem to keep an idle temperature at all. Just keeps rising and rising.

Advertisement