Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rag week

Options
  • 05-02-2008 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭

When is it?? Someone said its the week after the next study week , and someone else said it was the week after that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

It's the 25th of February. It really is an action-packed week! Conor in the SU is really going for it this year and no matter what your tastes are, there'll be something on to suit everyone - even the Poker Club are running a big event!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Action packed with fists flying in the dome and all over town, as per usual.

Bring it on!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

There is a meeting tmrow, im sure the details will be released then. Ill try give a summary of events for you, as I get them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Sully wrote: »
    There is a meeting tmrow, im sure the details will be released then. Ill try give a summary of events for you, as I get them. :)

Sweet much appreciate it , specially if there are any gigs on ( particularly metal).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭pingu_girl

I heard a rumour yesterday that the vengaboys are playing rag week!
    Dunno if theres any thruth though . Anybody else hear anything?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

pingu_girl wrote: »

Should be told later tonight, the meeting is at half 4 with all class reps and the union. I'm sure it will be brought up (if not, ill ask), and ill get the details for you and post back later. :)

pingu_girl wrote: »
    You are correct :).

A few other big names playing as well

What meeting did you end up in?! There are, as far as I recall, no big bands playing - they couldn't secure them. They were either all in recording or simply to expensive. No names yet to be mentioned.

Right, bare with me and ill post up the current (draft) schedule for Rag Week.

Rag Week 2008 - Draft Line Up (Official Line Up will be released on return from Mid Term)

Monday
    10AM - Movie Day. Starting at 10am right up until 6pm in the Auditorium on Cork Road Campus. Food & Beverages provided for later showing.

12PM - Juggling Demo & Stilt walker. Cork Road Campus.

1PM - Wit Celebrity Gunge Tank. Dome Bar, Cork Road Campus.

1.30PM - Juggling Demo & Stilt walker. College St. Campus.

2PM - DJ Enda. Starting at 2pm right up until 4pm. Dome Bar, Cork Road Campus.

3PM - Pool Tournament. Games Room, Cork Road Campus.

9PM - Quiz in Revolution.

9.30PM - Theme Night & Big Generator. Dome Bar, Cork Road Campus.

Tuesday
    Sports Day & Battle of boggers. (Time to be finalised)

12.30PM - Iron Stomach. Dome Bar, Cork Road Campus.

1PM - WIT Celebrity Gunge Tank. Dome Bar, Cork Road Campus.

1.30PM - Food eating competition. College St. Campus

6PM - Hypnotist. Dome Bar, Cork Road Campus.

8.30PM - Deal or No Deal. Masons Bar.

9.30PM - WIT Factor Final. Dome bar.

11PM - County Colours. Oxygen.

Wednesday
    11AM - Inflatables from 11AM right up until 3PM. Cork Road & College St. Campus.

12PM - Comedian & Magician. College St.

Comedian & Magician. Dome Bar, Cork Road Campus.

Thursday
    1PM - Mark Hogan. Dome Bar, Cork Road Campus.

2.30PM - Poker Tournament from 2.30PM right up until 6.30PM. Dome Bar, Cork Road Campus.

Silent Disco. Oxygen.

Please Note: The above timetable is a DRAFT. It is NOT finalised. Times may change, and events will be added. This is a sample of what is coming up, but again, it is NOT the final list.

• Advertisement

Lads, if you have any comments, suggestions or any feedback - let me know and ill pass it back. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Cool, thanks for the list man, I didn't realise there would be so much going on. I thought it was only going to be a pissup with a band or two playing possibly .

There is an "Ann Summers" party for the ladys in the Dome. Girls only. Also, there will be those flame-throwing people in the car park at some stage. There just not slotted into the timetable above.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭junkster12345

lmao, "big names" , ive really heard it all now, id say the organisers of the oxygen festival are sooooo jealous !!!:D:D

What meeting did you end up in?! There are, as far as I recall, no big bands playing - they couldn't secure them. They were either all in recording or simply to expensive. No names yet to be mentioned.

Right, bare with me and ill post up the current (draft) schedule for Rag Week.
    I was meeting with them last week and that's who they had on the board.

Is Des Bishop confirmed as the comedian?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

The fooking vengaboys? Since when were they big names??? 'BIG NAMES' don't play college rag weeks. Cheers for the timetable though.

They used to be big names. Would have brought some nostalgia into The Dome, albeit temporarily.

I was meeting with them last week and that's who they had on the board.

Is Des Bishop confirmed as the comedian?

Well all they said today was the band list has changed to a more local group, as the larger bands (as in, those who are not high up like ****** style, but in between beginner local bands and ****** style) were all in recording or to expensive. That name was never mentioned, and nothing was confirmed about the comedian. Christ helps us if its Des Bishop.

Ill see about getting more info tmrow, if possible. The list will update in the next few weeks.

When is it?? Someone said its the week after the next study week , and someone else said it was the week after that.

Shag Week -- 18th February.

RAG Week -- 25th February.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Jrad

Well Shully bay! Whats de craic. Where are yeh headin for raig wehk bay?

• Advertisement

Jrad: Well id imagine if Rag Week is in the WIT - id be in the WIT for Rag Week. ;)

Personal Convos via PM. If you want to post on topic, feel free.

18th - 25th of August is RAG and SHAG week.
    No, that's the week of repeats.

February 25th is the beginning of RAG Week.

18th - 25th could very well be SHAG week, but RAG week is definitely the 25th - 29th.

The first week back will see all the posters being put up and tickets being sold. I know this because as I've mentioned before, we're running an event on Thursday 28th and I've been in constant contact with the Student Union trying to coordinate sponsorships and organise the event within the time we're allowed.

Sorry, I made a complete balls of the dates. Murderer is right.

Shag Week -- 18th February.

RAG Week -- 25th February.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭MrLuke

Rag Week 2008 - Draft Line Up (Official Line Up will be released on return from Mid Term)

Monday
    10AM - Movie Day. Starting at 10am right up until 6pm in the Auditorium on Cork Road Campus. Food & Beverages provided for later showing.

12PM - Juggling Demo & Stilt walker. Cork Road Campus.

1PM - Wit Celebrity Gunge Tank. Dome Bar, Cork Road Campus.

1.30PM - Juggling Demo & Stilt walker. College St. Campus.

3PM - Pool Tournament. Games Room, Cork Road Campus.

9PM - Quiz in Revolution.

9.30PM - Theme Night & Big Generator. Dome Bar, Cork Road Campus.

Tuesday
    Sports Day & Battle of boggers. (Time to be finalised)

12.30PM - Iron Stomach. Dome Bar, Cork Road Campus.

1.30PM - Food eating competition. College St. Campus

6PM - Hypnotist. Dome Bar, Cork Road Campus.

8.30PM - Deal or No Deal. Masons Bar.

9.30PM - WIT Factor Final. Dome bar.

11PM - County Colours. Oxygen.
    Wednesday
    11AM - Inflatables from 11AM right up until 3PM. Cork Road & College St. Campus.

12PM - Comedian & Magician. College St.

Comedian & Magician. Dome Bar, Cork Road Campus.

Thursday
    1PM - Mark Hogan. Dome Bar, Cork Road Campus.

2.30PM - Poker Tournament from 2.30PM right up until 6.30PM. Dome Bar, Cork Road Campus.

Silent Disco. Oxygen.

Please Note: The above timetable is a DRAFT. It is NOT finalised. Times may change, and events will be added. This is a sample of what is coming up, but again, it is NOT the final list.

So its like any other week? Its kinda poor (TBH. but at least no vengaboys). WIT for the size of it should be dictating to the local establishments what they want, not some cheap ass imitation of some lame UK quiz shows. WIT will provide a large audience if provided decent entertainment to more than pay for it. Its no reflection on the people organising above, but its certainly better than the days when people on the SU worked for an un-named publican at the same time. Ya weild power, remember that.

Well, from speaking with them there just stuck for ideas. There are other stuff like flame throwers and an Anne Summers Party in the Dome - just not scheduled in to above. They couldnt get any somewat decent band, as they were all in recording. Iv suggested hiring out the events crowd who bring in some stuff into the hall (bouncy caste stuff, but not acutually a castle. More games like sumo wrestling, tug of war etc.).

So fire out ANY suggestions you have - and it might just happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Floyd Soul

So what exactly is shag week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Floyd Soul wrote: »

It stands for Sexual Health Awareness and Growth week. Basically, people dressed up in giant condom suits run around giving us 'shag' packs. They contain condoms, either 1 or 3, not sure how many, a some lube and some info on safe sex. I think they run some talks of safe sex aswel. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong.

Sully: Isn't shag week normally the first two days of rag week? Has it changed this year?

Minto: Its a week - so no :) I cant really remember, but I thought last year was a week long. Thats the dates that they provided me, I double checked after Murderer pointed out an error of mine. As far as I recall, they were always two seperate events on two different dates.

• Advertisement

Floyd Soul wrote: »

Minto summed it up pretty well. Its just a week of advise given to students about safe sex. There will be condoms and literature given to students. There used to be talks, but I think there not going with that this year. I don't know the specifics about SHAG as all my attention has been towards RAG. I'm in again during the week so ill see what they have lined up beside the above.

Advertisement