Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Claiming Ownership of an abandoned car.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

kbannon wrote: »
    Are you sure about the insurance situation Cormac?
    I was under the belief that once they were registered with any EU state's financial regulator they could trade right across the EU.
    However, most insurnace companys don't want Irish business!

Yes I believe you are correct. I suspect that the large European / UK insurers don't want to quote here at low prices if they have Irish subsidiary companies who are getting away with current rates (they would simply be undercutting themselves)

I had presumed (maybe incorrectly) that the OP was suggesting keeping the UK plates that are on the car and insuring it in the UK as a UK car, but then driving it over here. This is what I was advising against. apologies for any confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Well, thanks to a great deal of work from the Dept. of Enviroment, I have learnt that it is owned by a local garage owner.
    Jeez, he's some cnut. And what had he decided to do with it, dump it in someone else's housing estate/area? Jeez I'd tell him you'll take it off his hand for zero, or you'll report him for littering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Pat_Mustard

Well, with regards to the insurance question, a friend of mine works in a major national insurance company so I'll ask him.

With regards to the location of said "abandonment", the car, alongside a Third Generation Toyota Land Cruiser that is completely rusted, although if anyone wants it, I'll forward the details of the owner. The cars are located on an industrial site that has several warehouses. It turns out that the garage owner has one of them. He uses it to house all his classics.

Advertisement