Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour of Ireland

Options
  • 06-02-2008 12:49am
    Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Now that we're all talking about the Wicklow 200, is anyone thinking of trying this? Four days, 200 - 220km a day. I'm sorely tempted but would have to figure out if I could take the time off work and how the hell to get to Lisburn with my bike. Also, I've no idea how I'd go. While I'd have no problem doing a stage, I've never ridden days like that back to back, never mind four in a row, so I'd wonder how well I'd recover. On the other hand, they do have a broom wagon!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

A friend of mine took part in it last year, from what I remember he had to drive down to Lisburn that morning and when the event was over he had to be driven back down for the car. I would imagine that the best thing would be to get the train down to Belfast the night before. There is a broom wagon and the cyclists were split into groups of three with obviously the A group with fastest group. I think he stayed with the A group for a couple of days but just could not live with pace which by his accounts was severe. This is from a guy who is a very strong racer(vet). So I would think that the trick would be to get into the right group.
    Each cyclist had to raise 600 euro to participate but he said it was a brilliant event and he is taking part again this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Dear god no! Certainly something to aim towards though, a long way down the road! Fair play if you do it though man, that'd be a SERIOUS achievement!

The wicklow 200's enough for myself for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ventoux

Hi.
    I'm hoping to do it as a few of my mates done it last year and all gave it great reports.A little bit worried about the 4 days but hopefully will be able to stay in the group, so it will not be like trying to do four wicklows as it is hard to sit in a group all the way around.Even if its tough going at the end it should set you up well for the wicklow and the Summer.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

ventoux wrote: »
    ..but hopefully will be able to stay in the group, so it will not be like trying to do four wicklows...

That's true. Reading the account of last year's one, it seemed riders stuck together in big bunches, which is a big plus.
    ventoux wrote: »
    Even if its tough going at the end it should set you up well for the wicklow and the Summer.

Think the Wicklow would be a walk in the park after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I signed up with a mate a few months ago. They run a bus from Dublin up to Lisburn the night before. When you sign up you tell 'em if you need a spot on the bus.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Ah, a bus. This makes things a lot easier. Better make my mind up so.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

600 schekel is a bit steep though!
    Would love to do it but not at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Planet X wrote: »
    600 schekel is a bit steep though!
    Would love to do it but not at that price.

Agreed... they do say that that covers food, hotels etc which makes it a little more worthwhile, but it's just too expensive for me this year!

600 euro is quite a bit, but there is the option of raising sponsorship so if you have a large number of relations,friends and work mates,you could gather half the entry easily enough.It would be a cheap week end at 300 and also leave it easier to get 'Leave' to head off.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭csb1989

hey all, id love to do this ride, but I m not sure if I'd be fit enough - i currently commute about 70km a week and then do some longer rides on the weekend - longest so far was 67km, but I could have gone further if I hadnt gotten lost :o.

Im 18 and reasonably fit, and I am taking a year out of sorts, so I could spend plenty of time training if I had to, but I was just wondering if 3 months training would be enough to at least hold on to the back of the 'leisurely' group.

How hard and how fast do u think the ride would be?

• Advertisement

Alot easier to ride in a group. Apparently, last year it was divided into three groups. ''Good, Bad and Slower''.
    I reckon, you'd have to be up to doing, for eg, two consecutive, ie two days in a row, of 80 miles. If you could do this and were confident of riding in a bunch, you could be OK.
    It's four days! Plus alot of hill work on the last day, not that the previous days will not be without hills.
    You'd want to be fairly ''match fit''.
    I'd still love to do it myself.
    Closed roads. Brill. Cop outriders, cool.
    600 bananas to enter and the few you eat aswell...............

Planet X wrote: »
    Closed roads. Brill. Cop outriders, cool.

Mmm, closed roads </homer voice>

mmmmmmm...........Bottom Bracket grease....mmmm

I entered today for the tour,so I can't back out now but according to my mate who done it last year,places are running out as they were talking to someone involved with it today.So if anyone is still thinking you better decide shortly.

Advertisement