Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Its a citroen.. but its..... sexy ?!

Options
  • 06-02-2008 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭

I never thought i would see the day when i would say this but the new citroen c5 that they are due to launch this year is...... dare i say... gorgeous?!
    http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?articleID=44707

It really does have alfa like levels of style to it. Sadly it will likely depreciate. What do you guys reckon about it... i know it is not available yet to drive.. but do you think it could be the car to get citroens sales going again in this country ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Were Citroens really ever "going" in Ireland, don't think they ever really caught on. they never sell big numbers here.

Nice car that.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,408 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I feel it looks great. And to add to that, I feel the C4 coupe is the best looking car in its class followed closely by the 3 door Ford Focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

I wouldnt quite go as far as saying it is sexy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

It's pretty good looking, but nothing special imo. Although the estate version will be one of the most attractive in it's class. The inside looks horribly plasticy, and well... french!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I think the saloon looks like a cross between the A6 and the BMW 3 but the estate looks drop dead gorgeous:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Citroën have always been great looking cars and miles ahead of their competitors in terms of technology.

If it were a company car, and I didn't have to shoulder the depreciation, I would take a C6 over an S-Class any day.

I feel that they have dropped the ball a bit with the current C5 and the Xsara but when the new one is launched, every car in their line up will challenge for the best in class, maybe with the exception of the C2 which is a good car but isn't head and shoulders above its competitors like its stablemates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Citroen have gone down the toilet since they dropped the DS and 2CV models, Nothing they produce any more holds value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Maybe but they are turning a corner. C1 is the most environmentally friendly production car at present. C4 Picasso got the Top Gear family car of the year for 2007. C6, while it may not receive many sales awards is well acknowledged as one of the finest cars on the road.

I'd say it was after the CX, with the Peugeot buyout and formation of PSA, that things went downhill. But they are definitely on the up. I would buy a Citroën over any Jap equivalent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

Wow. I think it's stunning.

Especially the estate and I wouldn't normally like estate's at all.

Based on looks, if it was a company car and I didn't have to worry about depreciation, I would certainly take a closer look.

Any reports on what it's like to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Citroen have gone down the toilet since they dropped the DS and 2CV models, Nothing they produce any more holds value.

Fine cars in thier own ways but a DS was a fiscal car-crash as has been every big Cit since the Traction Avant! In Ireland Cit sales peaked with the late ZX-Zsara-early Xantia period.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Yes, it is "sexy". :cool:
    Very cool car and stunning styling. As a poster just said, I too would take a c6 over an s class provided I didn't take the hit on depriciation.
    I must say though, the c5 is the most impressive looking mid-family saloon out there. Just look @ the Renault Laguna !!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

To be fair to citroen, they are on the up.

imo,

Their PSA 1.6HDi is probably the best small diesel engine on the market

The c1 is selling well
    The c4 is one of the most stylish cars in its class
    The new Berlingo 'VAN' thing is a cracker
    The c4 Picasso is one of the only half decent looking MPV's available, and inside it is wonderfully designed, practical and inventive
    The up coming c5 speaks for itself, second only to the 159 for style in the medium saloon market.
    And the c6, is a stunner and a benchmark for Executive saloon comfort.

Of course, wether any of the above are financially sucessful is another days work.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Take off the big alloys, which are really adding to it, and replace them with standard alloys or steel wheels and hey presto: bland car. It's as sexy as the current Laguna (which is not sexy).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

It looks great and even looks to be well made inside. The first Citroen saloon I can ever remember, that will definately be a big help in trying to get Irish people to buy them too. I'd give it the thumbs up so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

JHMEG wrote: »
    Take off the big alloys, which are really adding to it, and replace them with standard alloys or steel wheels and hey presto: bland car. It's as sexy as the current Laguna (which is not sexy).

If it had a honda badge would it be sexy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

cancan wrote: »

LOL I know the answer to that one!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

another stunning looking car from the french firm. they always bring out new crackers like back in 2004 when peugeot bought out the 407

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

cancan wrote: »
    What makes you think it'd be sexy if it had a Honda badge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

I know i might go to hell for saying this... but i honestly think it looks nicer than the 159 which i think is the benchmark sexy car in the market available today.
    I wonder will they depreciate when released. Citroen have been pushing up their dealer network (certainly in the greater dublin area over the past few years). My biggest prob with them before this (and couodl be part of the reason a lot of people did not buy them ) was the love it or hate it styling they used to use....
    Still would not buy this as i could not afford to take the risk that it would hold its value. But i would imagine the 2.0d with the hydractive suspension is a cracker to drive...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Its no Alfa, but its very nice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Nice looking car, if I was thinking of changing now I would hold off until it hits the showrooms, agree about the wheels though, on 16 inch alloys and without all the shiny bits it could look a bit plain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭domania

Personally I am a fan of Citroen. I love the styling and I love the very comfortable ride. I recently upgraded and wanted to get a C5. But couldn't find any decent ones in Cork. So I settled for a Ford as I needed a car in a hurry.

I test drove a couple of C5 and it was like going for a spin in a comfortable couch. But the couple I drove had been knocked about abit.

The C6 is probably the best looking car on the road at the moment. But that new C5 is fantastic looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

i think it looks great, my worry is what production models will actually look like once they hit the road.

Citroen build great cars and always have.

Citroen have not done well in Ireland (particularly lately)because the average Irish punter knows or cares sweet f.a. about cars and the local mechanic knows even less.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

It's pretty good looking, but nothing special imo. Although the estate version will be one of the most attractive in it's class. The inside looks horribly plasticy, and well... french!

And how the hell you can tell the interior looks plasticy from that photo is beyond me !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I was toying with the idea of a C5, but was scared off by some of the opinion on here.

I never really thought they were *that* bad tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

I was toying with the idea of a C5, but was scared off by some of the opinion on here.

I never really thought they were *that* bad tbh.

Don't believe everything you read on this board. The "Unless its German it must be rubbish" attitude is way to prevelent.

The C5 (especially series 2 - 05 onwards) is a great car. Serious value second hand, amazingly comfortable and roomy. 1.6HDi is a peach of an engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Nice looking car, if I was thinking of changing now I would hold off until it hits the showrooms, agree about the wheels though, on 16 inch alloys and without all the shiny bits it could look a bit plain.

That's the case with all cars in this class - even cars like IS200/3-series. Preview/brochure shots will show the cars with 17/18'' alloys, high-level trim etc. I dare say you'll need to go up a few trim levels to make sure it looks dynamic.

I've beat this drum before but I reckon a decent-spec Mazda 6 is easily as good-looking as the Citroen if not the 159.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=843866

All without the worries inherint in buying French/Italian. On top of that it's at or near top-of-class for driving dynamics...
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭spuddy

Got a spin in a pre-production model a few months ago. It's a lovely looking car, but not quite as striking as the pictures suggest. I think those images have been stretched slightly.

Inside is less adventurous, but has lots of high quality plastic. It deserves to do well for Citroen.

Alloys on the model I was in were 17"s and they still looked undersized!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

pburns, that link to the Mazda 6 at Park motors is very dubious. The car pictured looks like the fully loaded 2.0 sport SE version at around €35K, and certainly not the €28,470 advertised. If you phoned about that one do you think they might say its just sold, and would you like a base one? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

pburns, that link to the Mazda 6 at Park motors is very dubious. The car pictured looks like the fully loaded 2.0 sport SE version at around €35K, and certainly not the €28,470 advertised. If you phoned about that one do you think they might say its just sold, and would you like a base one? :rolleyes:

Its also on foreign (German?) plates despite being RHD. Looks like the top of range 2.5 litre too.

Advertisement