Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skype on UL network

Options
  • 06-02-2008 1:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭

Hey everyone!

I have Skype and it works perfect at home but when I bring my laptop back to Dromroe, where I live, it won't connect. Its so frustrating and to be honest I don't know what to do.

Any help/suggestions would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

SoSueMe wrote: »
    Hey everyone!

I have Skype and it works perfect at home but when I bring my laptop back to Dromroe, where I live, it won't connect. Its so frustrating and to be honest I don't know what to do.

Any help/suggestions would be great.

The reason Skype doesn't work for you is because there's a huge conspiracy going on in ITD to prevent people like you from using it. I've no idea why people in ITD don't like you....hell I don't even like you then again I hate everyone so don't take offense.

I'm drunk so please ignore the above. Now it's time for me to be helpful...so to get Skype working try this:

Open up Skype and click on the Tools menu from here click on Options. This will open up a dialog box which allows you to specify a proxy server. Make sure the check box for "Use port 80 & 443 as alternatives for incoming connections" is checked. Under this you should see a drop down menu, in this pick the HTTPS option and in the "Host" text box enter http://student-proxy.ul.ie and in the "Port" box enter 8080. This should sort you out, if not post back with any error messages that Skype gives back and someone will probably be able to help you a bit more.

It's important that you remove the proxy settings when you go home otherwise when you start Skype at home with these settings it will try to send request through the UL proxy which you won't be able to access from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

rmacm wrote: »
    The reason Skype doesn't work for you is because there's a huge conspiracy going on in ITD to prevent people like you from using it. I've no idea why people in ITD don't like you....hell I don't even like you then again I hate everyone so don't take offense.

I'm drunk so please ignore the above. Now it's time for me to be helpful...so to get Skype working try this:.
    rmacm wrote: »
    Open up Skype and click on the Tools menu from here click on Options. This will open up a dialog box which allows you to specify a proxy server. Make sure the check box for "Use port 80 & 443 as alternatives for incoming connections" is checked. Under this you should see a drop down menu, in this pick the HTTPS option and in the "Host" text box enter http://student-proxy.ul.ie and in the "Port" box enter 8080. This should sort you out, if not post back with any error messages that Skype gives back and someone will probably be able to help you a bit more.

It's important that you remove the proxy settings when you go home otherwise when you start Skype at home with these settings it will try to send request through the UL proxy which you won't be able to access from home.

The fact that you could reply so legibly is a testiment to the spell checker you so obviously now use!

No it's a testament to my spelling ability and my ability to function while drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭SoSueMe

Thanks for your help/suggestions but nothing is working. Its so frustrating.

Are you getting any error messages from Skype as to why it isn't connecting? From my message above try the same thing except change the proxy to student-proxy.ul.ie leave out the http:// bit and see if that makes a difference.

• Advertisement
Advertisement