Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Brown Bin - questions

Options
  • 06-02-2008 1:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I came home from work and found a new brown bin deliver to my driveway with no instructions. Got some info from the Dublin waste website but still need to know when it will be collected? What is the small bin within the big bin for? I assume it is a little bin for my kitchen. I am in Dublin 13 - City Council area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭donaghs

I think it is for compost-type waste (kitchen and some garden). Not much use for me as I don't produce enough of it to be taken away every week or 2. How do you prevent this bin from filling with hardened sticky waste which gradually keeps building up?

I had this problem when I moved house. The previous inhabitants were a tad filthy, and a tenth of a my black bin space at the bottom was taken up by a smelly hard organic substance (probably food waste originally). The weekly bin lift was unable to shake it out. With a face mask, a water hose and a bamboo stick I was eventually able to remove this filthy residue.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Actually, I was wondering the same thing. Does anyone know a good way to keep the bins a bit more sanitary without having to wash them out continuously?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭carveone

caz33 wrote: »
    I came home from work and found a new brown bin deliver to my driveway with no instructions. Got some info from the Dublin waste website but still need to know when it will be collected? What is the small bin within the big bin for? I assume it is a little bin for my kitchen. I am in Dublin 13 - City Council area.

Mine was delivered at the same time, same area. They put a note in the door about what was happening (guess not in your case - probably ran out). There was also a colourful leaflet in the brown bin along with the little bin which is indeed for your kitchen. Quite a neat little bin too so it is.

I have two issues though:

One - the leaflet says that meat/fish waste is allowed. I would seriously advise against this unless you want the smell from hell in the summer along with maggots and rats. I'm sure everyone knows what the normal bin in your kitchen is like 3 or 4 days after someone puts meat in it. What fun...

Two - people are idiots. It's all we could do to stop morons putting glass and plastic in the green bin in our (very small) apartment complex. People would stand under the big sign saying "paper only" and say "I didn't know. It's recyclable innit...". I dread to see what will happen with the brown bins...

Conor.

humanji wrote: »
    Actually, I was wondering the same thing. Does anyone know a good way to keep the bins a bit more sanitary without having to wash them out continuously?

Well, you bag the waste in the black bin right??? That's normally good enough unless you use cheap shopping bags which quite often have holes in them. Some people put a little disinfectant (like, dettol I suppose) in the bin when it's emptied. Drops the smell down...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,358 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

humanji wrote: »
    Are you puting waste directly into the bin? No waste touches my bin directly, its all in bin liner bags from the kitchen bin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

I put the waste directly in. Have done for over a year and a half. Just cleaned it last week with a hose. Took about 10 minutes. Good as new.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I thought you were not supposed to put any plastics into this brown bin? Organic waste in plastic bags would be handy, but even I can see the issues in trying to separate compost material from battered non-biodegradable plastic.

donaghs wrote: »
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but I thought you were not supposed to put any plastics into this brown bin? Organic waste in plastic bags would be handy, but even I can see the issues in trying to separate compost material from battered non-biodegradable plastic.

We were talking about the normal black bin. But yes, no plastic bags are allowed in the brown bin. Which means that idiots will do it anyway, just like they do with the green bin :(

Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭purplegeko

The instructions i got with my brown bin (Louth Area) said you could wrap up food waste in newspaper. My neighbour had put unused food in the brown bin still in the plastic bags they came in which really got up my nose.

purplegeko wrote: »
    My neighbour had put unused food in the brown bin still in the plastic bags they came in which really got up my nose.

See?! That didn't take long. If they had random inspections followed by putting them in the stocks, um, I mean fines or something... Anyway...

• Advertisement

Was curious about giving back the brown bin. Didn't see much use for it as the waste would have turned into a smelly brick before it was ready for them to collect it. Still thinking about getting a composter for the garden though. According to DCC website you have to write into them before they'll consider taking it back.

But guess what else I saw! The weekly black (gray) bin collection is no more! Its now alternates with the brown bin every week. Bi-weekly collection by stealth!

I've no problem with that, except right-now I have a full bin awaiting collection, next week. Generally I put the black bin out every 3 weeks. However, most of my neighbours put out out an overflowing black bin every week. I wonder how this will play out...

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

Mellor wrote: »
    Are you puting waste directly into the bin? No waste touches my bin directly, its all in bin liner bags from the kitchen bin

Except plastic bin liners aren's compostable, which rather defeats the purpose, don't you think? Hmm?

Official word, and word from friends of mine who've been composting for years, is line the bin with clean paper (both small kitchen one and big brown one). Put it out every week whether you've loads of stuff or not (pain in the ass with you've to pay for each bin-lift, so we've been leaving it 2 weeks), and then give it a quick squirt of a hose after each time it's emptied. If it's emptied regularly and lined with paper then it literally is only a quick squirt with a hose that's needed, not a big cleaning job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

This is actually disgraceful.
    We called about this bin this morning, 'cos we basically didn't want it. So, we have to write a letter to the dept. of environment stating we don't want it and we understand and agree our black bin can therefore only be collected every second week???wtf??? Does it not upset anyone to know that Oxigen collects our bins, recycles the stuff & then sends the bulk recycled produce on TO CHINA! for profit? why are we having to pay if theyre making money both ends??

This brown bin is a disgusting sham, we're basically organising our rubbish for them in order to save them the hassle of having to do it initially and improve the quality of their product ultimately! it's a ****in disgrace. And it's freaky that people are just doing it!
    We're simply not putting it out & hoping they then don't send us a lift charge 'cos we're fighting it if they do.

Anyone else think we're having the complete piss taken out of us?

microgirl wrote:
    Except plastic bin liners aren's compostable, which rather defeats the purpose, don't you think? Hmm?

We were all talking about different bins which became confusing so we'll stick with the brown bins :o
    line the bin with clean paper (both small kitchen one and big brown one).

Good advice there. That's what my parents have done for 20 years too. Even a bit of newspaper at the bottom (there's plenty of free ones all over the DARTs), will stop the stuff sticking.
    The weekly black (gray) bin collection is no more! Its now alternates with the brown bin every week. Bi-weekly collection by stealth!

Yeah I agree. It's interesting the way they say that you don't pay a yearly charge for the brown bin - isn't that nice. But you pay the same for the same number of pickups so in fact you save nothing.
    Anyone else think we're having the complete piss taken out of us?

Yes and no. The green bin and recycling centres generally save us a pile of pickups and frankly, given the standard Dublin attitude to the green bin of piling any old crap in it, we're taking the piss out of them.

But... I intensely dislike the way this was sprung on us (wasn't it?) - suddenly there were brown bins all over the gaff. I'm trying to get a meeting of our apartment's owners assoc together and discuss the issue because it's just crazy - our small complex has turned into bin city - 22 apartments, 44 bins. It's simply not going to remain like that - it's a damn mess.

My mother gave me an idea of compost volume - when all the kids were at home (that was 6 people total), we emptied the compost bin (down the garden) once every 3 weeks. This bin was 1/3rd of the size of the brown bin. That means the average family will put out a full brown bin once every 12 weeks. Um. This isn't going to work.

Frankly, there's 4 of us (renting) in my current gaff and we get to about 3/4 of a small black bin every week. This puts me in a head-scratching position :p

Conor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

its a pure money making scam and id be gently confused but follow suit had i not heard that its a rather clever initiative by them to further break down the types of rubbish for them thus making the actual recycling easier and more productuive all round, the product is cleaner & the chinese buy more of it. Its baffling!! (watch now well find out the recycled stuff is flown in bulk to china on planes-thus negating the positive recycle factor by creating pollution to get there.) haha! nwould you be surprised..

Its beyond mental & its even more scary to me that people are just doing it..they have us sooo trained! scary..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

They've had this brown bin nonsense in Galway for years. Every house has three separate bins inside and outside. The sweetner is that it's cheaper to fill the brown bin than the others because it's pay by weight. Oh and get used to the bi-weekly thing. This has been inflicted on the provinces for ages. They were scared to bring it into Dublin because of the anti bin campaign. But that revolt has been put down. It's becoming the norm now.

You can buy bio-degradeable bin liners for your waste food. So they can go straight in the bin. But wrapping it in newspaper works just as well. There is not getting away from it though. The bin is a smelly mess with fllies always hanging around it in the summer. If you use a bin in the kitchen for the food waste. That always develops a sickening smell too. Another problem is if you forget to put it out on bin day. The smell becomes atrocious after a month.

I just filled my brown bin with garden waste. At least it's good for that. Often it is suggested that instead of using the bin. We should just buy a composter. Great idea, if you are gardener. Pointless if you're not.

It's remarkable how much we have failed to progress over the years. We now pay ridiculous money for a worse service all in the name of ecology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hugh green 100

As i said i supply compostable liners to the market but have not got to Galway yet as it is quite a nw company. as far as I'm aware the bags on sale are small and for use in the kitchen caddy I now have full size wheelie bin liners which also helps keep the bin nice and clean even with grass waste. Can you tell me if you have seen that size before or am I right in thinking this is the first of it's kind for that size. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

Never saw them. Only the small ones which tend to be only available in bigger stores. Even with the bags in them the smaller bins still smell badly. Good idea though with the bigger bags for wheelie bins. I think the would sell well in Galway. The brown bin has been in service there for years and everyone know the problems that arise. Dublin is new to the problem.

How are all the new brown bin users getting on? I haven't bothered with it yet for all the reasons stated above. I see the exact same problems are mentioned previously on boards when other areas got their bins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Does anyonw know if its allowed / acceptable / correct to dispose of vegatable oil (from a deep fat fryer) in the brown bin?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

dvpower wrote: »
    Does anyonw know if its allowed / acceptable / correct to dispose of vegatable oil (from a deep fat fryer) in the brown bin?

I would say probably not a good idea. Some recycling centres take used cooking and motor oil (separately, of course).

just don't pour it down the drain :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

ebmma wrote: »
    I would say probably not a good idea. Some recycling centres take used cooking and motor oil (separately, of course).

just don't pour it down the drain :-)

Its not mentioned on Dublin City Council's list. So I guess that's a No.
    I bet most people just pout it down the drain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

dvpower wrote: »
    Its not mentioned on Dublin City Council's list. So I guess that's a No.
    I bet most people just pout it down the drain.

My local recycling centre accepts oil (Murrough in Wicklow). Its is quite large though, haven't seen small centres accepting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Anyone know if i can put bio degradeable bags intot he brown bin? Having this argument with my housemate, i reckon you can but obviously dont want to be one of those idiots that throws anything into the bins

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Green&Red wrote: »
    Anyone know if i can put bio degradeable bags intot he brown bin? Having this argument with my housemate, i reckon you can but obviously dont want to be one of those idiots that throws anything into the bins

No, you can't put bio-degradable bags in but you can use compostable bags. Two different things. The bags should be "EN 134132" compliant.

The council actually sent around a letter saying they would be doing spot checks regarding this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

The brown bin is great, have it in Galway for years now, I eat alot of fruit and veg and thinks it's a disgrace that some people just put in waste when it is a very good fertiliser! At home in Quin we have had our own composter for as long as I am alive (25 years) and my mum puts it in the garden!!

There are little "plastic" bags that are compostable that can be put in the little bin you use for the food waste. I would line the big brown bin with paper, it keeps it clean and I clean the one in Galway out montly with dettol and a couple of kettles of water!!

On the rats issue, in two weeks for rats to be attracted to food it would need to be very hot. The food waste is broken down with special bugs / enzymes. If you are doing your own food waster recycling at home then you can only put in raw fruit and veg, garden waste, tea bags, ashes from the fire, no meat or bread can go in as the normal compostable bins can't break them down!!

Do think it is a bit big and cold be half the weight but then if people are moving their lawns and gardening they would need a bigger one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Sleipnir wrote: »
    No, you can't put bio-degradable bags in but you can use compostable bags. Two different things. The bags should be "EN 134132" compliant.

The council actually sent around a letter saying they would be doing spot checks regarding this.

Don't they realise that that level of detail will go right over most people's heads? Most people are still getting to grips with the concept of the green bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

I think the brown bins are bloody unheathy. We have ours over a year now and have put all the rubbish into the correct bins but its the brown bin that bugs me. I've been putting paper at the end of this bin since the start but it just gets compressed and then sticks to the bottom of the bin and doesn't fall into the lorry when it comes. Then it gets soggy with filth, attracting Flies,Maggots and Bluebottles not to mention the SMELL.
    I tried to wash it out a couple of times with the hose and it splashed PUTRID FILTH all over me. No amount of Dettol or Jayse fuid will make this germ free.
    It might be environmentally friendly in theory to use these seperate bins but if they're being sent to bloody China of all places to get recycled then what is the carbon footprint like? as if China will recycle this rubbish. They'll just bury it like they do with the truth over there. China is like the worlds carpet and we are just putting rubbish under it.

Back to the Brown bins.. I cant even open my windows any more, even in the summer months. If I do then the house is filled with Bluebottles landing on food in the kitchen and the is stench. Its just unhealthy and we're all going to get sick because of it.

This morning my 5 year old daughter was running around the house screaming because she's afraid of Bluebottles and there was nowhere to hide because they where every where and still are. She's asleep now. Cried herself to sleep, and the bloody things are still getting in.

And when you clean the bin out with a splash of dettol and a hose down where do you empty the fithy juice and [EMAIL="cr@p"]cr@p[/EMAIL] from the bottom. Do you empty it onto the ground or down the drain, how can you manhandle a bin this size and direct the filthy "water" down the drain, you'd break your back and I'm a 6 foot man and I cant do it.

This brown bin is unhealthy and no amount of tree hugging will prove other wise and I hug trees myself so don't say I don't want to recycle. Recycle and stay healthy at the same time but as usual this Government just wants to save a bit of money and make some too while looking Green.
    I'm surprised they don't start dumping at Tara.

No excuses. Its a filthy harbinger of sickness waiting to happen.
    bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

suey71 wrote: »
    I think the brown bins are bloody unheathy. We have ours over a year now and have put all the rubbish into the correct bins but its the brown bin that bugs me. I've been putting paper at the end of this bin since the start but it just gets compressed and then sticks to the bottom of the bin and doesn't fall into the lorry when it comes. Then it gets soggy with filth, attracting Flies,Maggots and Bluebottles not to mention the SMELL.
    I tried to wash it out a couple of times with the hose and it splashed PUTRID FILTH all over me. No amount of Dettol or Jayse fuid will make this germ free.
    It might be environmentally friendly in theory to use these seperate bins but if they're being sent to bloody China of all places to get recycled then what is the carbon footprint like? as if China will recycle this rubbish. They'll just bury it like they do with the truth over there. China is like the worlds carpet and we are just putting rubbish under it.

Back to the Brown bins.. I cant even open my windows any more, even in the summer months. If I do then the house is filled with Bluebottles landing on food in the kitchen and the is stench. Its just unhealthy and we're all going to get sick because of it.

This morning my 5 year old daughter was running around the house screaming because she's afraid of Bluebottles and there was nowhere to hide because they where every where and still are. She's asleep now. Cried herself to sleep, and the bloody things are still getting in.

And when you clean the bin out with a splash of dettol and a hose down where do you empty the fithy juice and [EMAIL="cr@p"]cr@p[/EMAIL] from the bottom. Do you empty it onto the ground or down the drain, how can you manhandle a bin this size and direct the filthy "water" down the drain, you'd break your back and I'm a 6 foot man and I cant do it.

This brown bin is unhealthy and no amount of tree hugging will prove other wise and I hug trees myself so don't say I don't want to recycle. Recycle and stay healthy at the same time but as usual this Government just wants to save a bit of money and make some too while looking Green.

bye.

Why don't you just use compostible bin liners?
    You can get small ones for the kitchen and you can get large ones for the brown bin itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

suey71 wrote: »

bye.
    That's what a relevant contribution would have looked like.

Advertisement