Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice needed

• 06-02-2008 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

hey everyone has anyone got any advice on starting a career in accounting. i have a degree in I.T and was wondering what where the best options for me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭Maclyn

Hi gm1982,

I went through this last year, was always in the back of my mind to do it. I qualified as an engineer in 2003 and was working in a well paid job locally but with no prospects in it. I made the very hard decision to start again in accountancy. I had no exemptions in accountancy at all so meant starting the exams from the beginning. I took a 50% drop in wages but I have to say, a year in. I love my job, you do get use to making do with the money situation but I have never looked back. Definitely, the best decision I have ever made. It will take me another 2-3 years to get there, but enjoying it so far.

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 zolwien

It will take me another 2-3 years to get there, but enjoying it so far
    do you mean to be full qualified ACCA or CIMA accountant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭The CCAinsider

IT and accountancy are very complementary, you will be very employable with both skills. Starting at the very beginning may seem daunting but the lower levels are easy and get you ready for the higher levels. People who get exemptions from the lower levels find the finals much harder than people who start from scratch. You also don’t need to be working in accounting to do the exams, you could wait until you had 5 or 6 exams finished before switching over to an accounting job if you did ACCA or CPA. ACA requires that you get a training contract, the others don’t require this.

Keep in mind too that a lot of accounting/finance jobs are boring too so along the way you should be considering what areas interest you for working in - it's not just about getting a qualification for the sake of it. For example, the application of finance (e.g. corporate finance) is a lot more interesting than reporting / auditing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 gm1982

thanks for all the advice i was thinking of doing the ACCAs part time. i have an interview with BOI just for a cashier role and then once i have done my first year exams could go looking for an accounting job or transfer within the bank, do u think this would be a good option for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 rums08

Hi Maclyn,
    I have a degree in architecture and graduated in 2003. I have been trying to change to accountancy ever since but due to family obligations I had to work in this field and hence at present I have the opportunity to make the change.
    Like you I have no experience in Accountancy and have applied to many firms for a trainee position.
    I would be very grateful if you could help me with the following:
    What were the kind of questions that they asked in the interview?
    How did you alter your CV and covering letter? And what did they look for in non-bus graduates,esp like myself? I am very passionate about this field and really want to pursue ACA?
    Could you please advise me as to how to go about this?

Any help will be deeply appreciated.
    Thanks.

Maclyn wrote: »
    Hi gm1982,

I went through this last year, was always in the back of my mind to do it. I qualified as an engineer in 2003 and was working in a well paid job locally but with no prospects in it. I made the very hard decision to start again in accountancy. I had no exemptions in accountancy at all so meant starting the exams from the beginning. I took a 50% drop in wages but I have to say, a year in. I love my job, you do get use to making do with the money situation but I have never looked back. Definitely, the best decision I have ever made. It will take me another 2-3 years to get there, but enjoying it so far.

HTH

Hi Rums08,

It's nearly two years since my interview, so its not very fresh in my head. To be honest, I didn't change my CV that much. The only thing I altered on it was an introduction about myself, I sort of angled that towards the position "...adapt to change, hard working...."

The interview I felt was the hardest I have ever did in my life, I think it was because I wanted it so much. The main questions they had was why I wanted to change career? Was I committed to this?, basically they want to know that you want this.

Try to think of what you could bring to the company that you have from your previous career.

I hope this of some help to you.

Hi Macklyn,
    Thanks for your advice. Though it is a little late in the day, I still applied for about 34 firms and got 3 interviews. I got the training contract from the first interview and still have another 2 interviews to go. They came back to me within a day and I think 99% I will go for this one. They are a medium sized firm - not too big or small and I liked the people who interviewed me. We shared positive vibes and they were impressed that I had done my research well. All in all cant wait to start!

As the subject goes "CONGRATULATIONS" , well done!! It's tough going but I have to keep saying, it will be worth it in the end. Best of luck with everything.

Thanks a million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gibbins123

To appear very enthusiastic about your career change you can begin ACA or ACCA and pay for it yourself. Then apply for a job, tell them you are doing well in the course and enjoying it (as hopefully you are), and you will get hired and (usually) once you pass your exams the company will reimburse you the course fees!

Its a good way of showing you are serious about a career change, esp if you have no experience in even a slightly related area.

Advertisement