Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking to get new car. Where to look??

Options
  • 06-02-2008 2:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Am looking to get new car. Between 1.3 and 1.4. From 2000 onwards. Have been told to go private as be cheaper. But been checking car zone and some of the prices people have been asking is crazy, or are people just chancing their arms. Looking to spend maybe 5 or 6K. Seen a few nice ones but some prices are more expensive than going through a garage. Am I looking in wrong places??.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

First of all, this is my most common rants here on these pages.

2 things matter when selecting a car these days- budget and usage. We know your budget but you're probably making assumptions about running costs that aren't true and you're probably compromising a suitable car for a false sense of economy.

If you're doing a long commute or have reason to spend lots of time on the roads (like the overwhelming majority of motorists in this country) you can justify buying a bigger car. This is good news because 1.4-1.8 cars are all much of a muchness when it comes to running costs.

If you want a hot tip- for your kind of budget, the bigger the car, the better the value- you can buy a brilliant car or a mediocre one but for your criteria, you sound like you're in danger of ending up with an 'economical small car' which is a contradiction in this country IMO.

For your budget I would look on carzone, autotrader, B&S, wherever- there's a million good cars out there, you don't need to locate a specific one. If you buy privately you WILL save money but you MUST have it checked properly by a suitable mechanic.

Buying a car for your budget from a dealer and getting a 'warranty' is usually a false economy- you're talking about the low end of the market and you will end up with an 'engine and gearbox warranty' which is no good if you're picking through your suspension looking for rattles and there's no guarantee he'll even stand over the engine and gearbox;)

If I wanted a car for €6k ish, I'd be looking at this kind of thing http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=906868 Bit of a haggle and it's almost in your budget.

Advertisement