Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy electives

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Hey I'm out of the country at the moment and I'm wondering can apply for Electives yet?

And if so how can I access it cos I can't get into SIS Stuweb and UCD Connect is acting funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

There's a thread called Electives FAQ two threads below this one.
    Connect is fine, problem is on your end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Ah I like the ol' random challenge myself when it comes to electives. I picked modules in 2nd Year Roman & Greek and 2nd Year Political Geo and got a C- and B+ respectively.:pac: But it's my last year now so i'll be playing it safe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    Hey I'm out of the country at the moment and I'm wondering can apply for Electives yet?
    There will be an email next week regarding registration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭niavie

Food Diet and Health and Women studies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭WellCultured

Visualisation and Photographic Technique (ARCT10080) - A friend of mine did this last year and he said it was the easiest module he'd ever done. 100% of the assessment is based on a 15 minute powerpoint presentation of a series of photographs. I'm gonna try to get into this module this year for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭WellCultured

Bump. Because elective registration is in a few days. Anyone got any good easy modules that haven't been mentioned so far? also does anyone know anything about how elective places are to be allocated this year? the email from UCD mentioned a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

the email from UCD mentioned a change.
    It also explained the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Does this answer your question? From the UCD site.

electiveflows2008.jpg

Bump. Because elective registration is in a few days. Anyone got any good easy modules that haven't been mentioned so far? also does anyone know anything about how elective places are to be allocated this year? the email from UCD mentioned a change.

Anything from 1st Year Social Policy.

• Advertisement

Grimes wrote: »
    anything in Woman Studies is a joke. I hear its pretty easy too :cool:

No.You have it wrong.It's the women that are easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Most 1st and 2nd year arts electives are easy enough that you'll pass just so long as you go to lecutres: no study at all. I got 20 credits in the last two years doing arts electives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

theozster wrote: »
    Most 1st and 2nd year arts electives are easy enough that you'll pass just so long as you go to lecutres: no study at all. I got 20 credits in the last two years doing arts electives.

I would have thought that in arts electives, you risk being landed with essays, which I can only imagine would be a major pain in the hole.

Best to pick something sciency/mathsy with no labs.

Sean_K wrote: »
    I would have thought that in arts electives, you risk being landed with essays, which I can only imagine would be a major pain in the hole.

Steer clear of History and English. A lot of books to read in short spaces of time and perhaps the most tedious form of citing in essays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Has anyone done Animal Biology and Evolution (BIOL10010)? It says there's 36 hrs of practical, and a lab report counts as 25% of your grade.

Is it difficult? I'm interested in evolution and stuff, so I'm not starting from completely nothing (though I did not study biology for LC)

edit:

Actually for most science modules is it necessary / recommended to have studied the subject at Leaving Cert level? Just don't wanna be outa my depth, even in a 1st year module :D I've never done dissection, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,409 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Intro to Quantitive Economics is a joke
    ant043 wrote: »
    intro to quantitative economics is so so so easy. Physical Fitness aint too bad either

I have second (or third) this. I tutored the undergraduates for the Economics Dep in it this year and it is realy easy. However the number of failure are a disgrace (alot of ppl take it now, so pass rates are still high).

I have no idea how first years can't grasp this when theve just come from LC mathes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Oh cool, Introduction to Physical and Forensic Anthropology (ANAT10030) sounds pretty awesome! :eek:

This is an elective module in the first semester aimed at students within the foundation year and first year of medicine and any student with an interest in crime scene investigation. It will consist chiefly of physical anthropology, and will examine primates, human evolution theories and the application of human morphology to forensic science. The course is designed to be of interest to a wide range of students throughout the University. In course assessment occurs alongside the practical component of the course, and the final practical assessment requires that you work in groups on remains typical of forensic anthropological casework. The end of semester examination is a true false MCQ style examination. All assessments are compulsory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 googler

Dave! wrote: »
    Has anyone done Animal Biology and Evolution (BIOL10010)? It says there's 36 hrs of practical, and a lab report counts as 25% of your grade.

Is it difficult? I'm interested in evolution and stuff, so I'm not starting from completely nothing (though I did not study biology for LC)

edit:

Actually for most science modules is it necessary / recommended to have studied the subject at Leaving Cert level? Just don't wanna be outa my depth, even in a 1st year module :D I've never done dissection, etc.

Yes i did this one about 3 years ago. There was a good bit of continious assesment - a 3hr lab every week.This was grand, you could get the work done in the lab and that was it for the week. Towards the end of term there is a zoo report where you go to the zoo and fill out a booklet of questions set to you. Labs were finished by this time. Final exam was a simple mcq as far as it can remember. There is a section of physiology for the last few weeks as well!
    I wouldnt worry about not doing it was leaving cert, id say it was leaving cert level and is pretty basic!
    It was a good module, great lecturers and notes all on blackboard too!

Are you joking? Science and maths are very, very hard. I should know, I'm going into 3rd chemistry. Most arts electives, in my experience, require at most one essay which counts towards your final grade. In fact, last semester I did a first year sociology module and the essay counted for 50% of the marks. Despite the fact I MISSED the exam, I still passed the module.
    Most science subjects have a 3 hours lab each week too.

edit:

I did it in first year. While it helps to have done biology in leaving cert, it is by no means needed. It was a fun, easy going module and I'd recommend it to anyone with an interest in it. It is very basic too. The labs have you dissecting worms and locusts, among others!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Oh cool, Introduction to Physical and Forensic Anthropology (ANAT10030) sounds pretty awesome! :eek:

This is an elective module in the first semester aimed at students within the foundation year and first year of medicine and any student with an interest in crime scene investigation. It will consist chiefly of physical anthropology, and will examine primates, human evolution theories and the application of human morphology to forensic science. The course is designed to be of interest to a wide range of students throughout the University. In course assessment occurs alongside the practical component of the course, and the final practical assessment requires that you work in groups on remains typical of forensic anthropological casework. The end of semester examination is a true false MCQ style examination. All assessments are compulsory.

That sounds really cool actually - pity I've no room for stuff like that this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I did that as an elective last year. It was really enjoyable, didn't find it too difficult either (and I'm doing Sociology and Politics for my degree!).

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

I took Introduction to Physical and Forensic Anthropology (ANAT10030) in first year and it was shaping up to be a great module, really interesting. But the labs clashed with the labs for 2 of my core subjects and I couldn't keep the module. A real shame.

Animal Biology and Evolution (BIOL10010) is a good module. Very basic with respect to other science modules. Should be easy enough for someone who didn't do biology for the leaving cert. However, there are 3 hour labs every 2nd week which count towards the final grade, 30% if i remember correctly. The labs a pretty simple too, disections and the like. There's also a trip to the zoo along with a question book. It's not difficult, just time consuming. The module doesn't go into the nuts and bolts of evolution but gives a simple overview and the animal biology mainly focuses on insects and fish.

With regards to easy electives, any topic you enjoy and are interested in is easy. I've heard of people taking forestry "because its simple and the assesment is easy" only for them to turn around and say it was harder than they expected because it was boring. Stick to modules you'll enjoy and you'll breeze through them, don't bother looking for an easy fix. It's not going to be that way throughout college.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭melbourne

user_offline.gif Be Careful, only your first year results don't count. Whilst second year only makes up a percentage of your total degree mark your poor results will still show up on your list of results. These are what your future employer will be looking at or the body that you are applying to do an MA or Phd with. Everything counts so box clever. Pick the electives that you will want to learn from, things that interest you as they make going to that lecture a little bit more rewarding. As said before English or History Electives can be intense and you will need to do a lot of reading to do well. Having said that Maurice Bric's Popular Protest 2nd year history and Ivar McGraths history of the British Empire are both well worth doing. Canadian studies is also easy to get along with along with intro to the city(j brady), The Human Geography courses are torture.
    For your 3rd year electives it will pay to stick with your chosen subjects, ie all geog and all history electives, I got a job teaching due to nailing all 12 of them, you may have only studied 6 little parts of each subject but it's looks a lot better than having a few 2nd year Irish studies electives in there. Don't leave it too late as they fill up really quick. For your 3rd year ones it may help to pick ones that don't have exams. This may make life easier at exam time. I got stung with 6 exams in 5 days which was a joke so maybe mix them up a bit between exams and ones based on 100% course work. quote.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 michaeljbonner

hey ya,
    am done Animal Biology and Evolution (BIOL10010) last year. The module itself is a bit strange. Dont worry about the fact that you didnt do biology, in all fairness agricultural science would be a good help if you done it, but the subject is nothing like LC biology. A good percentage of the module is continous assesment, so you dont have to worry about a final exam. There are 2 assignments to be completed on the course, one in the Dublin zoo, the other is PBL report on a particular topic. Last year it was a fish project.
    Hope you enjoy the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

melbourne wrote: »
    user_offline.gif Be Careful, only your first year results don't count. Whilst second year only makes up a percentage of your total degree mark your poor results will still show up on your list of results. These are what your future employer will be looking at or the body that you are applying to do an MA or Phd with. Everything counts so box clever. Pick the electives that you will want to learn from, things that interest you as they make going to that lecture a little bit more rewarding. As said before English or History Electives can be intense and you will need to do a lot of reading to do well. Having said that Maurice Bric's Popular Protest 2nd year history and Ivar McGraths history of the British Empire are both well worth doing. Canadian studies is also easy to get along with along with intro to the city(j brady), The Human Geography courses are torture.
    For your 3rd year electives it will pay to stick with your chosen subjects, ie all geog and all history electives, I got a job teaching due to nailing all 12 of them, you may have only studied 6 little parts of each subject but it's looks a lot better than having a few 2nd year Irish studies electives in there. Don't leave it too late as they fill up really quick. For your 3rd year ones it may help to pick ones that don't have exams. This may make life easier at exam time. I got stung with 6 exams in 5 days which was a joke so maybe mix them up a bit between exams and ones based on 100% course work. quote.gif

well im screwed then!!God only knows how I made it through second year without failing anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Could someone please recommend the most popular Business and Geography electives?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭IKOS

May I ask a question, it kind of relates to “easy electives”

If you pick easy electives and are only doing so to ease the burden, does this impact your final degree?

Say if someone was taking electives unrelated to their primary subject area, will this be reflected in your finals. Also, if you are changing electives, say computers in stage 1 and psychology in stage 2 etc will this look odd at the end?

Sorry for asking this question, but I wasn’t really able to find a similar thread.

Thanks!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Intro to Quantitive Economics is a joke

Yeah, if you're anyway good with numbers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭melbourne

Cammai,

What year are you going into?

Advertisement