Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy electives

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

SRFC90 wrote: »
    Could someone please recommend the most popular Business and Geography electives?

I doubt anyone finds business an interesting subject. Look up modules on the UCD site and pick one that tickles your fancy :)
    cammai wrote: »
    May I ask a question, it kind of relates to “easy electives”

If you pick easy electives and are only doing so to ease the burden, does this impact your final degree?

Say if someone was taking electives unrelated to their primary subject area, will this be reflected in your finals. Also, if you are changing electives, say computers in stage 1 and psychology in stage 2 etc will this look odd at the end?

Sorry for asking this question, but I wasn’t really able to find a similar thread.

Thanks!:confused:
    There are two ways of looking at that: The first is that you have a broad education and haven't been narrow minded, so to speak, in your educational pursuits. The other way is that you took introductory languages, for example, every year just to get easy grades. The modules you take show up on your academic transcript with the % and grade achieved.

In short pick what interests you: Level four statistics might be a good choice job wise but obviously not as interesting, or arousing, as introductory massage. You could of course take all programme modules and apply economies of scope.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭IKOS

melbourne wrote: »
    Cammai,

For your 3rd year electives it will pay to stick with your chosen subjects, ie all geog and all history electives, I got a job teaching due to nailing all 12 of them, you may have only studied 6 little parts of each subject but it's looks a lot better than having a few 2nd year Irish studies electives in there. Don't leave it too late as they fill up really quick. For your 3rd year ones it may help to pick ones that don't have exams. This may make life easier at exam time. I got stung with 6 exams in 5 days which was a joke so maybe mix them up a bit between exams and ones based on 100% course work. quote.gif

What year are you going into?

Hi melbourne,

Thanks for that, I am going into 1st year.

I was slightly confused with the Horizons system. I understand I am doing a single honours degree but wanted to make sure I don’t pick bad electives. I think I may have initially confused this with a joint major where you would be picking say, Law and History / Law and Politics.

So basically I just wanted to make sure the electives won’t have that much of an impact on the overall degree. It’s a good idea where you said try and avoid electives with exams and mix with assessment based ones.

Thanks for the advice.

UCD_Econ wrote: »
    I doubt anyone finds business an interesting subject. Look up modules on the UCD site and pick one that tickles your fancy :)

There are two ways of looking at that: The first is that you have a broad education and haven't been narrow minded, so to speak, in your educational pursuits. The other way is that you took introductory languages, for example, every year just to get easy grades. The modules you take show up on your academic transcript with the % and grade achieved.

In short pick what interests you: Level four statistics might be a good choice job wise but obviously not as interesting, or arousing, as introductory massage. You could of course take all programme modules and apply economies of scope.

thanks UCD_Econ,

I understand now (i think!). But when you receive the degree, and say you took a mixture of electives your overall degree, say Commerce is still the same, Commerce?

Sorry if I am asking silly questions....

thanks UCD_Econ,

I understand now (i think!). But when you receive the degree, and say you took a mixture of electives your overall degree, say Commerce is still the same, Commerce?

Sorry if I am asking silly questions....
    Aye, you still receive a B.Comm (Bachelor of Commerce) regardless of electives (grades in electives do count towards your degree class in your last two years). Your academic transcript will show all modules you've taken with the grade & percent achieved.

Aye, you still receive a B.Comm (Bachelor of Commerce) regardless of electives (grades in electives do count towards your degree class in your last two years). Your academic transcript will show all modules you've taken with the grade & percent achieved.

Thanks again! I was going to ask about the electives counting toward the degree. So for example, if in stage 1 you have a, em, blip (anywhere, even in the core modules), can you still see at stage 3, just maybe a 1.1?:eek: I know its kind of long sighted but I was just wondering (and hoping)....

Cheers.

• Advertisement

Thanks again! I was going to ask about the electives counting toward the degree. So for example, if in stage 1 you have a, em, blip (anywhere, even in the core modules), can you still see at stage 3, just maybe a 1.1?:eek: I know its kind of long sighted but I was just wondering (and hoping)....

Cheers.
    Of course you could. First year results don't count towards degree classification. But, don't just aim for passes in everything - first year results are looked at when masters role around, as has been mentioned a few times by UCD boardsies.

Commerce has its degree weighted (last I knew) - your year two results count 30% towards degree classification (i.e. I.I, II.I, II.II) and year three, final year, providing 70%.

Of course you could. First year results don't count towards degree classification. But, don't just aim for passes in everything - first year results are looked at when masters role around, as has been mentioned a few times by UCD boardsies.

Commerce has its degree weighted (last I knew) - your year two results count 30% towards degree classification (i.e. I.I, II.I, II.II) and year three, final year, providing 70%.

Thanks again, - Nope, I'll definitely put 110% in, but I was just anxious seen as 1st year will be somewhat a learning curve, getting familiar with everything.

But thanks again, I appreciate that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dip

Don't know if this has been asked before, but is it possible to do extra electives? I'm gonna be doing B&L so I can't apparently choose electives, but is there anyway to do additional ones, and would I have to pay? Was talking briefly to a girl who did B&L and extra electives as well..

Already answered here. Yes you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Any more recommendations folks? ;)

BTW, one I would recommend is Introduction to Cognitive Science with Fred Cummins. There's no textbook, it's almost entirely based on the slides, and it's really really interesting. It's a stage 2 module btw

• Advertisement

Hello UCD_Econ,

Just wondering if you have any suggestions on the following two electives? Are they very difficult or fairly okay?

LAW10260 - Criminal Procedure Level 1 (Semester 1)
    LAW10270 - Civil Procedure Level 1 (semester 2)

Cheers.

PS - The only thing I can see if that they are on quite late, starting at 5pm, but I dont mind what time they start at - Time is not an issue!.

Also, when they say this;

Tutorial Semester 2 Offering 1 Tue: 09:00-09:50 (22, 24, 26, 30)
    Tutorial Semester 2 Offering 2 Mon: 09:00-09:50 (22, 24, 26, 30)
    Tutorial Semester 2 Offering 3 Tue: 09:00-09:50 (23, 25, 29, 31)
    Tutorial Semester 2 Offering 4 Mon: 09:00-09:50 (23, 25, 29, 31)
    Tutorial Semester 2 Offering 5 Tue: 09:00-09:50 (22, 24, 26, 30)
    Tutorial Semester 2 Offering 6 Mon: 09:00-09:50 (22, 24, 26, 30)
    Tutorial Semester 2 Offering 7 Tue: 09:00-09:50 (23, 25, 29, 31)
    Tutorial Semester 2 Offering 8 Mon: 09:00-09:50 (23, 25, 29, 31)
    Lectures Semester 2 Offering 1 Mon: 17:00-17:50 (Sem2: All Weeks)
    Lectures Semester 2 Offering 1 Wed: 17:00-17:50 (Sem2: All Weeks)

does that mean you attend all tutorials?

Sorry for all the questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭GusherING

POL 10010 (Introduction to Irish Politics) is dead handy if you enjoyed civics for your junior cert and are interested in that sort of stuff. I'd imagine if your doing 1st Year Law it would help a lot in understanding constitutional law also. But dead easier of course! Questions are the same every year on the exam and the reading is quite minimal really.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Hello UCD_Econ,

Just wondering if you have any suggestions on the following two electives? Are they very difficult or fairly okay?

Cheers.

PS - The only thing I can see if that they are on quite late, starting at 5pm, but I dont mind what time they start at - Time is not an issue!.

About the tutorials, you only choose the one you select. So if you pick offering 3, its tuesday at 9 on the weeks given(23, 25, 29, 31)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

No you pick one of the 8 "offerings" for the tutorial. You (try to) attend both weekly lectures.

Hey I'm allowed to do the 1st year psychology module 'Introduction to Psychology', even though I did 4 psych modules in 1st year :D Only thing is, my timetable is jammers for semester 1 :(

If anyone could recommend a good SECOND semester module ,that'd be groovy

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

GusherING wrote: »
    POL 10010 (Introduction to Irish Politics) is dead handy if you enjoyed civics for your junior cert and are interested in that sort of stuff. I'd imagine if your doing 1st Year Law it would help a lot in understanding constitutional law also. But dead easier of course! Questions are the same every year on the exam and the reading is quite minimal really.

I was hoping to do this, go well with my sociology and history, but it clashed with my timetable, so psychology instead!

Mushy wrote: »
    About the tutorials, you only choose the one you select. So if you pick offering 3, its tuesday at 9 on the weeks given(23, 25, 29, 31)

Grand thanks - I feel silly now! Thanks for the reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Anyone know what the Sports Management electives are like in terms of workload or difficulty?

Dave! wrote: »
    No you pick one of the 8 "offerings" for the tutorial. You (try to) attend both weekly lectures.

Hey I'm allowed to do the 1st year psychology module 'Introduction to Psychology', even though I did 4 psych modules in 1st year :D Only thing is, my timetable is jammers for semester 1 :(

Yea, caus things were starting to look pretty full on! cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Mushy wrote: »
    I was hoping to do this, go well with my sociology and history, but it clashed with my timetable, so psychology instead!
    There's a 2nd year module called Irish Politics 2 or similar, from what I can tell it's the same thing. I'm excluded from it because I did intro to Irish politics in 1st year, I know a couple of people who did it last year and from what they told me it's more or less the same. Might be worth checking out if you're interested.

Hello UCD_Econ,

Cheers.

Those could be interesting modules, I never took any law, though. When you're looking at electives think about next year as well, i.e. if I take these classes can I continue taking X subject for my electives because they satisfy certain prerequisites. See where they lead on to.
    Dave! wrote: »

Intro to Quantitative Economics (can be chosen for Sem2) - Can you differentiate? Then you're already most of the way there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ianthefox

Semester 1 Offering 1 Tue: 09:00-09:50 (Sem1: All Weeks)
    Semester 1 Offering 1 Thu: 09:00-09:50 (Sem1: All Weeks)
    Semester 1 Offering 1 Fri: 12:00-12:50 (Sem1: All Weeks)
    Semester 1 Offering 1 Wed: 16:00-16:50 (Sem1: All Weeks)
    Semester 1 Offering 2 Thu: 11:00-11:50 (Sem1: All Weeks)
    Semester 1 Offering 2 Tue: 12:00-12:50 (Sem1: All Weeks)
    Semester 1 Offering 2 Mon: 14:00-14:50 (Sem1: All Weeks)
    Semester 1 Offering 2 Fri: 13:00-13:50 (Sem1: All Weeks)

Does the Spanish Ab Initio elective really have 4 classes a week??

By the looks of what you posted, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Everything clashes with my timetable..... pretty annoying.

Well, everything interesting/easy.

Those could be interesting modules, I never took any law, though. When you're looking at electives think about next year as well, i.e. if I take these classes can I continue taking X subject for my electives because they satisfy certain prerequisites. See where they lead on to.

Hi,

Yes, good point. But I am actually on the BCL so I think I will be able to take all law electives won't I? So it will feed through in a sense. Is this correct?

My thinking behind this was, seen as I am studying Law I might aswell deepen in the area. Kind of like keeping the theme, if this makes sense.

I hope this does not put too much strain on at exam time etc, but I would be prepared to put the work in and not rely on "easy" electives, although they would help. Less time in the library I imagine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Could anyone give me an insight into the workloads of POL10080- Great Books I: Power and Pol10050- Issues in World Development? Plus how difficult are the tutorials?

For a bit of background I'm going into Level 3 Social Policy.

Hi,

Yes, good point. But I am actually on the BCL so I think I will be able to take all law electives won't I? So it will feed through in a sense. Is this correct?

My thinking behind this was, seen as I am studying Law I might aswell deepen in the area. Kind of like keeping the theme, if this makes sense.

I hope this does not put too much strain on at exam time etc, but I would be prepared to put the work in and not rely on "easy" electives, although they would help. Less time in the library I imagine!
    Yep, of course you should be able to take them. If law is what you're interested in then that's where you should take your electives. It won't be as difficult as you might think. By studying only one area then economies of scope applies, overlaps are bound to happen. Just don't fall into the trap that many people do - don't leave it until the last two weeks to start studying :)

You could always change your mind in November and switch the second semester elective to something else if you wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Arctic89

Hi UCD_Econ,

You seem fairly knowledgable on all things UCD so I was wondering if you could tell me what the modules i picked for 3rd Year Commerce (specialising in Accounting) are like. They are Financial Management and Financial Economics 1.

Thanks. :)

Arctic89 wrote: »
    Hi UCD_Econ,

You seem fairly knowledgable on all things UCD so I was wondering if you could tell me what the modules i picked for 3rd Year Commerce (specialising in Accounting) are like. They are Financial Management and Financial Economics 1.

Thanks. :)
    I didn't do the commerce course so I'm not the best person to ask about specific modules from there. Financial Economics, through commerce, would probably just be pricing theories, bit mathsy/statsy. I think there was a thread a while ago about financial management and how easy it was, I might be confusing it with another module, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ianthefox

By the looks of what you posted, yes.

I know, I'm kinda just in denial. There goes my 3 day week :(

• Advertisement

Yep, of course you should be able to take them. If law is what you're interested in then that's where you should take your electives. It won't be as difficult as you might think. By studying only one area then economies of scope applies, overlaps are bound to happen. Just don't fall into the trap that many people do - don't leave it until the last two weeks to start studying :)

You could always change your mind in November and switch the second semester elective to something else if you wanted.

Thanks again UCD_Econ, you have spoken the words of wisdom once again.

Cheers
    icon7.gif

Advertisement