Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy electives

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ruby1

I'm thinking of doing a German module, having done Leaving Cert German. I'm going into my first year in UCD. Does anyone know if this is hard or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭bebeebutterfly

I'm doing engineering now,
    so not sure if I should pick to options from my course
    or two else where... Was thinking of doing a language *shrug*

I never got that email about registration!?
    and haven't heard back about accommodation?
    and when can we register for modules?
    I haven't got my timetable yet?
    *panic*

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭FreeFallin

Can anyone tell me when we choose these electives or how we even find out which ones are available to us?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭bebeebutterfly

FreeFallin wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me when we choose these electives or how we even find out which ones are available to us?

Thanks

Ehm, we get to choose on the 29th, that's all I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Thanks

You can search through all the modules here: http://www.ucd.ie/incomingstudents/course_search.html , just click on 2008/09 Modules.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

I'm doing engineering now,
    so not sure if I should pick to options from my course
    or two else where... Was thinking of doing a language *shrug*

I never got that email about registration!?
    and haven't heard back about accommodation?
    and when can we register for modules?
    I haven't got my timetable yet?
    *panic*
    Friday to register. How could you have a timetable when you haven't picked your classes yet? You'll get it on SIS calender when you register.

Thanks
    Here. Remember to check the prerequisites box to ensure that you can take the module.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 slevins

can anyone tell me anything about this module? Fundamentals of Physical Fitness (PHTY10060). Just been reading up on it and it sounds interesting and not to taxing on the study time. I'm in economics 3rd year...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

i wanted to do thereputical massage as an elective but the bastards wouldnt let me... would have been a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭peachystarr

slevins wrote: »
    can anyone tell me anything about this module? Fundamentals of Physical Fitness (PHTY10060). Just been reading up on it and it sounds interesting and not to taxing on the study time. I'm in economics 3rd year...

I did fundamentals as my elective when I was in 2nd year, its very EASY, theres like a 2 hour lab once a week with a book thing you have to fill in thats worth most of the markd, the classes are a laugh and no work required in them. I think theres lectures but unfortunately i never got to attend them due to the ungodly hour of 9am monday morning which they were on, however the exam was mcq and i just printed the notes off the internet and learned them, easy peasy, got an A- so brought my GPA right up. Best elective ever along with Introduction to Massage, that a pretty handy one as well as all Nursing electives , they never usually have exams so takes a lot of pressure off when exam weeks come up and you only have to do 4 instead of 6. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This electives stuff has me all confuddled. It's ricockulous I tells you. Wasn't like this in my day...2006.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭clickerfingers

everyone keeps talkin about massage modules but i cant for the life of me find them on the course search, can anyone help ?? any module codes??

sorry never mind, found them!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Introduction to Cognitive Science - Probably the most interestint subject ive ever done in UCD, COMP20015, Great Stuff, Interesting, If youm goto the lectures youl be fine.

if you dont mind me askin you.... is it easy to do well in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

if you dont mind me askin you.... is it easy to do well in?
    Yes

There are 2 exams:

a. a mid-semester exam in class with a choice of like 5 questions from 8, and you write a paragraph about the topic.

b. an end of semester exam which is like the other one, except more choices, more questions, and longer answers.

There is no textbook, most of the information is based on the slides and he gives some short required readings most weeks (which are available online!)

Really interesting module, and it piqued (word?) my interest in cognitive science and psychology such that I spent the summer reading about science, and am now trying to up my grades so that I have the option of a masters in cogsci! :D

You can check out the subjects and slides here: http://cogsci.ucd.ie/introtocogsci/

Definitely recommended!!!

oh wow im really considering it now, i remember getting a talk in class by the lecturer last year as i do Linguistics and he was trying to sell it to us lol but i had forgotten about it until now.... thanks so much :)

Yeah Fred whore'd the sh*t out of the module towards the end of the first semester :p

Defo go for it if you're at all interested in psychology, behaviour, etc.

haha i actually remember thinkin how nice and cool he was for a lecturer so i think im gonna go for it alright :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It actually sounds really interesting, and I kinda wish I'd gotten a chance to do that!

(I seem to have hit on a rich vein of Intellectual Curiosity lately, just as I go into a year with no elective choices!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Karma_Police

Re: Cog Sci, it is pretty god damn interesting, however its really not that easy. I did it last year, and if you miss a few lectures you're going to find it tough... the lecture slides just don't give you enough info for you to do well in the exam, and becomes a big work load... the lesson is, go to class or you're f*cked

And that POL10010, is it that easy? I think i might do it... cause i need an elective so bad for the first semes...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Nettles

Brain and behaviour 1st yr psychology module is both interesting AND easy to get a good grade in. Half the marks are for an exam where you are given the questions before hand, the other exam isn't much harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Re: Cog Sci, it is pretty god damn interesting, however its really not that easy. I did it last year, and if you miss a few lectures you're going to find it tough... the lecture slides just don't give you enough info for you to do well in the exam, and becomes a big work load... the lesson is, go to class or you're f*cked

And that POL10010, is it that easy? I think i might do it... cause i need an elective so bad for the first semes...

Yeh - intro to irish politics is laughably easy - id recommend it to anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

Iv picked cog sc for semester 2. Do you think that it would be easy if you did attend all the lectures or is it just an interesting subject and worth the extra work? Basically il be needing to get really good grades in both my electives to get my gpa up so i dont wanna take on anything difficult!

It's not EASY PEEZY, but I found it handy enough. Definitely worth whatever effort is required. The lectures all follow a coherent structure, each one addressing a different topic relating to CogSci (locomotion, language, memory, perception... etc). The slides provide a good basis for further research, most of which can be done online.

It's really a small workload compared to 'real' stage 2 modules, but if you're looking to do absolutely f*ck all, then maybe choose another one. But Fred did say that he's more interested in people paying attention in the lectures and engaging with the topics than with everyone memorising things. The module doesn't tie in with any course and is intended purely as an elective, and this is something that Fred is apparantly aware of! And so it's not very demanding at all.

Really the purpose of the class is to whet people's appetite for Cognitive Science and make them consider the masters programme. That seems to be the sole purpose of it tbh, that's why it's so broad and general!

Check out the website http://cogsci.ucd.ie/
    and send him an email if you have any more queries, sure! I think it's Fred.Cummins [at] ucd.ie

edit:

It's defo easy to get a good grade if you're willing to put even a bit of work in. I was lazy and so crammed before the exam, but got a C.

BTW, I had to drop the Forensic Anthropology elective :(

Was just informed today that I have to take 6, not 5, Comp Sci modules this year!

Not really disappointed though tbh... My timetable was pretty rough this semester, so this cuts 4 hours (including 2 late evenings!) out :)

Plus the class seemed a bit intense. There are waaayyyyyyy too many bones in the human skeleton :) lol

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Meh, at least you got some elective choice. We had to pick 9 CS courses + our project. Wouldn't have minded a chillout course tbh.

Bumpy :)

Looking for some semester 2 modules gents

Got lots of suggestions from this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 aghastlrbaboon

'Intro to Psychology in Healthcare' is the business. Nursing elective where 40% of your final grade is a scrap book you present on the final lecture. 60% is for an open-scrapbook exam.

I didnt attend a single lecture. Found out from 2 people in my class that you can just print of some of the lecture notes, stick it in the scrap book, slap a assessment submission form on and hey-presto you've passed. The course co-ordinator doesnt even look through the scrap book - just signs it!

For those of you looking for a GPA booster they also give the essay titles out in the second last lecture so you can prepare 2 or 3 essays, stick them into your scrapbook and you have a guaranteed 'B' if not higher.

SWEETEST MODULE EVER

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

If you find you don't like your elective is it possible to change it in the first week or so or are you stuck with it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

If you find you don't like your elective is it possible to change it in the first week or so or are you stuck with it?

I believe it's possible to change until registration ends which is a few weeks into term.

Advertisement