Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinions on this please

• 06-02-2008 3:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

Looking at getting a Westy.....not this particualr one...but similar.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=899097
    The prices here seem ok....cheaper than the UK i think when you factor in the Vrt ect, or am i wrong?
    Just wondering if anyone ownes one or knows of someone who ownes one, Where is the best place to buy one, service ect??
    General opinions please.
    thanx.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I really like the look of them. They seem very well built and litted out. Although for me I wouldn't like to have to spend any greatlength of time in it as it looks a little tight on space. Great for 1 or 2 nights tho. Could be used as a daily driver.

I'm not sure about the VRT?? Does it qualify as a camper if the roof is not full height all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You can buy that new from your local Volkswagen dealer (53k for the cheapest version).

So, your local Volkswagen dealer would also be your service partner for a used one, seenashow the "California" is a full VW factory model and not some aftermarket conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Yea i guessed VW would service the mechanicals....was more thinking about the westfalia fittings....cooker,fridge,electricals ect....would my local VW dealer look after them if they go wrong???

Peasant...you seem to know about these things.....would i be better off importing this type of van to Ireland myself.
    Having owned a T25 westy in the past i find them great, well built and good resale.
    Im planning on buying late this year or early nxt year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

servicing ...in the real world :D

My guess would be that if you bought that thing new from your local VW dealer and came back after a while with a camping-gear related problem, they would probably try and find someone who could help.
    If you show up with a vehicle that you bought elswhere, I'd just expect shrugs and evasive smiles.

as for importing

I'm not so sure that this actually qualifies as a "Motorcaravan", its most likely a car. So after July your VRT and tax will be calculated on emissions, which aren't great on the big diesels.

You'd want to be very sure of your figures before you do that and see is it worth it.

You might have to consider one with a high roof instead.

Advertisement