Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maniac 2000 - Knacker Choon Or Absolute Classic?

Options
  • 06-02-2008 4:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭

So I was scrolling through the ipod today in work looking for a tune to put a smile on my face and I found it in under 'M'.

Maniac 2000 - for me the song of my generation. I was 15 when it came out and despite not being into dance music it had an appeal that had me recording it off the radio and learning every word. And I was not the only one who did. It was the talk of the school.

As I got older and started clubbing I used to love when, in amongst all the R & B sh1te, the unmistakable sound of "Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah" would come blaring out of the speakers. For me it was the best way to end a night.

So now I'm 22 and still go mental when it comes on in a club, as do most other people there, and every word is recited as if we were all part of a church congregation.

Now maybe a lot of people are too p1ssed off their heads when it comes on to hate it but I love it at any time, even sitting at my desk in work.

So what do you think? Is it really a classic or am I just a closet skanger?

EDIT: Please don't move this to the dance forum as, like me, there are people who love this song but have no real interest in dance music in general.

Maniac 2000 - What do you think? 89 votes

Best choon EVER!!!!1111!!
    2% 2 votes
    It's tolerable if I'm locked
    21% 19 votes
    F*ck off you skanger
    20% 18 votes
    I'm too young/old to really know what it's all about
    55% 49 votes
    AJ
    1% 1 vote

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Ha, I'm the same. Can't stand most dance music etc but this came on at my sisters wedding the other day (her special request :p) and I was up dancin with the rest of em :) May of had a drink or 2 though...

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

F*ckin hate that track. I love dance music...this isn't dance music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

its just crap basically

absolute crap

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

It was shíte when it came out and its got a lot worse with age, it gets played every weekend in the club where i do the door. Its embarassing seeing people dancing to it and singing the words.

Its even worse that my girlfriend still likes it and plays it every now and again on her ipod in the car. Shocking stuff altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Music by an idiot for idiots. Possibly the most stupid vocal ever and that's saying something.Words can't describe how much I hate that f***ing song. I'd rather piss on an electric fence than listen to it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I have to say I don't like Maniac 2000 at all but for some reason, I actually like the original Maniac song from the 80's which some people would say is an even worse crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I think people are missing the point though. It's not necessarily good or proper dance music. It just reminds a generation of their youth. I find it hard to believe that anyone born between say 1983 and 1986 hated it when it came out, whether through naivety or just wanting to be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I think people are missing the point though. It's not necessarily good or proper dance music. It just reminds a generation of their youth. I find it hard to believe that anyone born between say 1983 and 1986 hated it when it came out, whether through naivety or just wanting to be cool.

Well It's definitely not an 'absolute classic'. Its funny how something so cheap spent about 4 months at No. 1. I was born in 1985 and I really don't want to be reminded of my days in second year, although there were worse Irish songs at the time (Jesus in the House).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

although there were worse Irish songs at the time (Jesus in the House).

sweet jesus i had forgotten about that muck. and that guy has the cheek to critic a so called talent show now!
    maniac, yes it reminds me of a time in my life, but i didnt like that song in that time of my life!! Man it sucks so badly, it not dance, its not pop, its not rap, i dunno what it is but its fricking terrible, but fair play to mark mcabe or whatever his name is for having the neck to release it and for somehow making number one etc.....if only i could come up with a get rich scheme!!
    I know il invent a charcter with an annoying voice and make mobile phone virals and rip off songs using his voice, something like a crazy worm or something :D

I was born in 1984 and was big into "dance music" when that tripe got released, it seemed to put the genre back about 20 years in this country because whenever you mentioned that you like "dance" people automatically seemed to say "Oh i love that Maniac choon too".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

While it might have put Dance back 20 years here, It is a great barameter for spotting retards.

zAbbo wrote: »
    While it might have put Dance back 20 years here, It is a great barameter for spotting retards.

Indeed, seeing my girlfriend dancing to it embarasses the **** out of me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

The BEST youtube of em all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b90KYCh0FS4&feature=related

"Session in Blanch after yeah?" :D:D

To be honest back, when, 2000, Im not sure I loved the tune. Maybe I did, but the first "dance" (if ya can call it that) I truly remember liking was Logical Song by Scooter in summer 2001 :rolleyes: (I was 14 ffs :D ). Although I love it now (even though its cheese) iirc I wasnt at all fond of N Trance Set You Free when it was released in 2000, only when I was 17 odd and started hittin the clubs with the fake ID that I realised its destroy the dancefloor tunage. I was pure hip hop back in my early teens (still love old rap, but I only got into dance after that music thing in Kildare we cant mention about in 2004. Felix Da Housecat, Faithless, Darren Emerson from Underworld, the Chems, sh1tload of others, I lived in the dance arena that weekend and since then Ive loved it.

I think Maniac is really a "song of their time". Its from my youth, I love it and, as Xavi says, so do my mates aged between 19 and 25. It got a play at my christmas work do in late 2006, and everyone on the floor was Irish and of that age group (the retired men of rave wouldnt go near it, and the foreign staff never heard of it :D ) I can understand why the old skoolers of 93 thought it was sh1t. Im sure 18 year olds think that DJ Sammy Heaven song is the pinnacle of their youth, even though it is brutal.

shane86 wrote: »
    To be honest back, when, 2000, Im not sure I loved the tune. Maybe I did, but the first "dance" (if ya can call it that) I truly remember liking was Logical Song by Scooter in summer 2001 :rolleyes: (I was 14 ffs :D ). Although I love it now (even though its cheese) iirc I wasnt at all fond of N Trance Set You Free when it was released in 2000, only when I was 17 odd and started hittin the clubs with the fake ID that I realised its destroy the dancefloor tunage. I was pure hip hop back in my early teens (still love old rap, but I only got into dance after that music thing in Kildare we cant mention about in 2004. Felix Da Housecat, Faithless, Darren Emerson from Underworld, the Chems, sh1tload of others, I lived in the dance arena that weekend and since then Ive loved it.

'Set You Free' was released a lot earlier than 2000. Try 1993! It was re-released about 3 times though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

'Set You Free' was released a lot earlier than 2000. Try 1993! It was re-released about 3 times though

I meant to say re released, I swear I know its ancient :D There was a re release around 2000 though. Didnt think much of it til I hit the clubs 3/4 years later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 succubus

Ultimate Knacker Choon Oooa Oooa!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Lol at the poll options :D

I hated it then and I hate it now. There are other woeful tunes from that era that I love listening to now purely because they remind me of good times but Maniac 2000 just reminds me of how much I've always hated Maniac 2000.

The year 2000 was 8 years ago? WTF?? People born in the 90s can legally drink now :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

xavi6 hang your head in shame! It's an absolute crime against music. Now some songs can be awful but almost have a kind of cheesy appeal at the same time. This is just awful full stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

It's one of the worst records in history. Needs to have every instance of it burned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I'm with guinnessdrinker......give me the original any day.....

Remember nearly being lynched in a pub gig one day for not having it.....had to bring it the next week :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

If someone stabbed a DJ for putting this on, I'd be up for reducing the sentence to manslaughter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Kold wrote: »
    If someone stabbed a DJ for putting this on, I'd be up for reducing the sentence to manslaughter.

I'd personally only recommend an ASBO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I'd buy the guy a pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭im_invisible

loved it when it was out first, around 96, but it was never realeased till 2000.
    loved the dj wicked version, mc'ing over break the silence,

shes a maniac, a maniac for your love boy, yes your love boy, and shes dancing, like she never did before, on the dancefloor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I'm with guinnessdrinker......give me the original any day
    Absofockinglutely! The original is some top notch 80s cheese (the best kind). Listening to it on YouTube now actually - quality!
    On the other hand, Maniac 2000 is utterly horrifying in its sh1tness. I was 22 when it was out but I know for a fact I would have hated it had I been 14 to 16. When I was 14 to 16 ('92 to '94) there was some similarly disgraceful sh1t in the charts (Culture Beat, Capella, Dr Alban, Maxx anyone?!) and I detested all that too. Although I have to admit I LOVED Rhythm is a Dancer by Snap (ah summer '92, what memories! :o)

Mark McCabe is apparently mortified about Maniac - rightly so. He sounds all right as a presenter but I find it hard to respect him after that monstrosity. The parts where he shouts (don't know the actual words) "something something something attack, she's a maniac" and "ogee ogee ogee... OI OI OI!"
    Crrringe...!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I think its a good song, also N Trance Set You Free and Snap Rhythm is a dancer aswell...

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭summer_ina_bowl

still gets me and my friends off our chairs faster than free money!!! (and my god, we're poor students, free money gets us movin pretty quickly!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

As some people have said, its absolutely floor wrecking tunage! certain songs you just appreciate in club form.

Dudess wrote: »
    Mark McCabe is apparently mortified about Maniac - rightly so. He sounds all right as a presenter but I find it hard to respect him after that monstrosity. The parts where he shouts (don't know the actual words) "something something something attack, she's a maniac" and "ogee ogee ogee... OI OI OI!"
    Crrringe...!

But that's what it's all about to be fair! It's a cheesy song that instantly reminds you of the year 2000, whether you like it or not. I don't think I've ever seen another song get so many people onto a dancefloor in a club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

Yeah yeah funkin yeah, ooohih ooohih oooh, the roof the roof the roof is on fire, whoomph there it is! :)

Advertisement