Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building the new bridge..?

• 06-02-2008 5:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

Brother only told me the other day they have started building the new bridge up by the Red Iron he said theres like two big pillars in the water..

Anyone know about this? Was thinking it would be cool to go up and get a picture now and then one when there was a bridge there!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Jrad

Yes, that would be a good idea. The red iron, some deadly sessions had up dere boi!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I believe somebody here already has pictures from when they first started but I'd agree its something I've been looking to do for a while to,

try the search option if you want to see the photos,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

In the dark they have both pillars floodlit. The 2 support pillars are absolutely massive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

As you drive in the N24 from the Mooncoin direction, near Grannagh Castle there's a section of road where you're coming down a hill and can see the work on the opposite bank of the river.

Right now you can see the two massive support pillars, plus a very, very tall tower crane. I reckon the height of the pillars to be about the same as a seven-storey building right now, but that's just my (uneducated) guess!

Looks amazing though. When it's built, it will be some sight for people coming in on the N24.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I tried to take shots (from a normal camera!) from Red Iron and even closer (site entrance) but the quality is pretty poor. The pillars have been there for sometime now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Im going have to take a walk down there and see what I can see :) I didnt know about this at all lol.

I thought the bridge was going down the other end of the quay which is probably a better place to even oout all the traffic, all the traffic crossing the bidge is just going to be up that end now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

dazftw wrote: »
    I thought the bridge was going down the other end of the quay which is probably a better place to even oout all the traffic, all the traffic crossing the bidge is just going to be up that end now.

This bridge is connecting with the bypass, not the quays. Well, I suppose you will be able to get to the quays from it eventually, but it is for the bypass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

normal_bypass2.jpg

41532b6f.jpeg

Mike.

On my way to KK this morning around 8.20, halfway between the city and Mullinavat, there were about six extra-long lorries parked pointing southwards, each with a massive big concrete beam on it. No doubt they'd been transported down overnight, and no doubt they were for some part of the road building that's going on at the moment.

Anyone any information on this? It was a seriously impressive sight!

• Advertisement

fricatus wrote: »
    On my way to KK this morning around 8.20, halfway between the city and Mullinavat, there were about six extra-long lorries parked pointing southwards, each with a massive big concrete beam on it. No doubt they'd been transported down overnight, and no doubt they were for some part of the road building that's going on at the moment.

Anyone any information on this? It was a seriously impressive sight!

I'd think they would be for one of the many bridges that seem to be coming with this project.

Kahless wrote: »
    I'd think they would be for one of the many bridges that seem to be coming with this project.

No doubt... because this is the first big road-building project I've ever lived near, I wasn't familiar with the processes at all, but it seems to be that they build bits (like bridges) out in the middle of a field, then leave them for a few months while they do other stuff, and then come back and do more where they had been below. I imagine they do it this way because of ground subsidence or something. Bridges and pillars probably "sink" a few cm into the ground when they're built, so allowance is made for a certain amount of settling. I'd love to hear from a roads engineer on this... seems fascinating.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yeah they tend to built the bridges first alright, its interesting to see all the progress there making

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

fricatus wrote: »
    No doubt... because this is the first big road-building project I've ever lived near, I wasn't familiar with the processes at all, but it seems to be that they build bits (like bridges) out in the middle of a field, then leave them for a few months while they do other stuff, and then come back and do more where they had been below. I imagine they do it this way because of ground subsidence or something. Bridges and pillars probably "sink" a few cm into the ground when they're built, so allowance is made for a certain amount of settling. I'd love to hear from a roads engineer on this... seems fascinating.

A huge amount of ground investigation is carried out where bridges are to be located. Where possible the abutments are built on rock i.e. excavation takes place until rock is reached and then build up from there. There are a number of ways around this if rock is not "available" such as draining/pumping the water from the soils and applying a large load which consolidates (compacts) the soil. Structures can be started before mainline works to allow for additional settlement (which should be minimal) and also to allow for curing times of concrete used. Concrete used in the foundation will have a curing time (i.e 30 days) and large pours (height wise) are not used as the concrete/aggregate mix can seperate if being poured from a height. Therefore the concrete is poured in say 2m sections (vertically) and the next section cannot be poured until the concrete below has cured. When you take the finished height of the bridge into consideration you can see why it takes so long to build.

The concrete sections that were on the trucks that you saw would be precast as bridge building tends to be a mixture of in situ works and precast beams "dropped" into place.

I'd love to go up in a helicopter to get an aerial view of the state of things now. A few months back, I had reason to travel on several back roads around the area and it was amazing to see just how much there was going on all around, but hard to get an overall picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

That crane really is a site to behold! I wouldn't like to be up in it when there's a bit of a breeze, let alone a gust!

tonc76 wrote: »
    A huge amount of ground investigation is carried out where bridges are to be located. Where possible the abutments are built on rock i.e. excavation takes place until rock is reached and then build up from there. There are a number of ways around this if rock is not "available" such as draining/pumping the water from the soils and applying a large load which consolidates (compacts) the soil. Structures can be started before mainline works to allow for additional settlement (which should be minimal) and also to allow for curing times of concrete used. Concrete used in the foundation will have a curing time (i.e 30 days) and large pours (height wise) are not used as the concrete/aggregate mix can seperate if being poured from a height. Therefore the concrete is poured in say 2m sections (vertically) and the next section cannot be poured until the concrete below has cured. When you take the finished height of the bridge into consideration you can see why it takes so long to build.

The concrete sections that were on the trucks that you saw would be precast as bridge building tends to be a mixture of in situ works and precast beams "dropped" into place.

Fascinating stuff tonc76... thanks a million for that!

Ballybrickenman, wow, awesome pictures! This bridge is truly going to be the envy of the entire country.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ballybrickenman; Can you cut the size down there a tad bit, tis a bit to big. Thanks.
    Charter wrote:
    Post full scale pictures in a topic. Either link to the image, or scale it down to thumbnail size (and link it to full scale, if you wish). This is to benefit dialup and mobile users. Ignoring this rule is an instant 2 week ban. (See "Note 1")

Excellent shots, though I dont see much of a change since my last visit a few months ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Sully wrote: »
    Ballybrickenman; Can you cut the size down there a tad bit, tis a bit to big. Thanks.

Excellent shots, though I dont see much of a change since my last visit a few months ago!

I pass by there every day, and let me tell you the two Concrete Pillarsw have grown considerably over the past two months (About double the height in 2 months)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

Sully wrote: »

Sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

That crane really is a site to behold! I wouldn't like to be up in it when there's a bit of a breeze, let alone a gust!

once your over the height factor its grand and even without wind they sway so that it would pull it's self down and its also allow to swing freely for the same reason

Bards wrote: »
    I pass by there every day, and let me tell you the two Concrete Pillarsw have grown considerably over the past two months (About double the height in 2 months)

Really? Christ, my memory is pretty awful. I didn't think they grew much at all over the last few months! Must dig out those photos I took, and compare to see it. Thanks Bards. Has much other work being taken place since?
    Sorted!

Appreciated! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

A few close ups ;)Clicky
    Im not familiar with all this photobucket lark, so its a bebo album

If you can upload to Bebo, its the same as uploading to Pix.ie (or photobucket) apart from being much faster (multiple uploads - as in more then 5 per go! and much faster).

Nice shots though. Careful on those sites, might get in trouble or seriously injured!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

The go of it!!! lol

Man thats huge didnt think it would be that big now. It might foggy tomorrow and it would make for some interesting pictures!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Bypass works at night, taken on Saturday from Grannagh.
    Flickr pic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭soldering iron

Am I missing something to display them bigger or are they originally small pictures?

• Advertisement

There uploaded small.

soldering iron: If your using Pix.ie, they will automatically resize the pictures for you. I assume you uploaded them small?

Advertisement