Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building the new bridge..?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Shots taken from this location

Shot one is a general over view of the site looking NE back toward the city and Granagh castle.

road020841tz3.th.jpg

Shot two is of the flyover (which can be seen to the left of the first pic) into the Carriganore campus of WIT, .

road020892yz8.th.jpg

And shot three was taken a little bit down from the other two, the buildings in the far distance on the opposite of the river are Lawter and the other industrial units past Granagh. Granagh castle can be seen just at the bend in the river and is near the location of the new bridge. The project really is enormous and it's impressive to be able to look the two miles back in toward town and then turn your head 180 degrees and still look up toward Mount Congreve and still see the road disappear off into the distance.

road0208103tg7.th.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

When were those taken Roen?

According to the EXIF data they were taken between 14:17 and 14:25 today Fricatus, I got out late on my lunch break and went for a wander through the fields for about 20 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

http://www.bridgebuilder-game.com/

Speaking of Bridges Try this out i was addicted for a year in work , When i did some that is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭soldering iron

Roen wrote: »
    According to the EXIF data they were taken between 14:17 and 14:25 today Fricatus, I got out late on my lunch break and went for a wander through the fields for about 20 minutes.

Pic 1

Pic 2

one of these pictures was when that overpass was been built it is the same as one of the pictures that you said you took yesterday,the other picture is in the same area and is also of the overpass bridge finished and that was taken just before christmas.

I will get another infraction for this (billy) but what the

• Advertisement

If you read my post you see the overpass I was referring to was the one leading to the WIT campus in Carriganore, not the one you photographed.

I think the one you took pictures of is visible in the middle right of the third picture, partially obscured by some beech trees.

EXIF data.
    picture2fl9.th.jpg

Roen wrote: »

Wow, that's a thorough answer! I was expecting a reply like "last week"! :D

So there are two flyovers, is that right? One joining the outer ring (extension north of B&Q) to the new N25, and the other joining Carriganore to the outer ring (westlink?) extension.?

fricatus wrote: »
    Wow, that's a thorough answer! I was expecting a reply like "last week"! :D

So there are two flyovers, is that right? One joining the outer ring (extension north of B&Q) to the new N25, and the other joining Carriganore to the outer ring (westlink?) extension.?

As far as I can see the answer is most definitely 'yes'. The completed one in Soldering Iron's pics and the one under construction in my pics.
    I have a feeling there may be more though, I mean it's two miles to where the new bridge will be from where I took the pic. Surely there must be more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

nice peices of kit roen:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

That first link mentions tolls, can anyone confirm if the bridge/road will be tolled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

There will be a toll plaza south of the river crossing to the south east of "Suir"

Other facts Project Length (Km):
    N25 Bypass:18 km
    Tie-ins and Links: 9 km
    Carriageway Type:
    Dual:23 km
    Single:4 km
    Number of Bridges:
    River:5
    Road:12
    Rail :4
    Earthworks Quantities:
    Cut (m3):3.5 million
    Fill (m3):2 million
    Land Acquisition (Ha): 220

Cheers Tonc,
    I must walk down a bit further to see if the booths are being built yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

In this photo you can see some of the plaza booth foundations. Anyone any idea whats with the big building beside it???! To count all the money maybe???? Remember the bridge wont need a control room cos it wont be raised...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Whelans bridge near Kilmeaden is well worth a visit, you can get right into the thick of the action. Pic 1 is a glimpse, Pic 2 is the stream its crossing, Pic 3 shows how high this structure is...I'm 6 foot tall...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Has the bridge got a name yet? Or has that been decided ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

shockwave wrote: »
    Has the bridge got a name yet? Or has that been decided ?

The powers that be might run another competition for people to submit appropriate names for it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

img0326ln5.th.jpg

img0327gc1.th.jpg

img0323ow2.th.jpg

img0325dm3.th.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭portlairge

had the pleasure of a risk visit to the new bridge today:cool:. it is currently ahead od scedule and it is at a height of 70meters with approx another 80meters to go the two pylons will be joined and then go straight up. was up at the top 70meters standing on a 2" plank of timber and it was f***ing scary wind howling and the swaying was scary:eek::eek:. as you look at it in the 1st pic the pylon on the right is been built byitalians and the one on the right by portugese. not an irishman in sight.. it was an experience and we will be visiting again when it is at its full height before the cables go in.. should get some good pics then if ive got the guts to stand nearly 450ft up on a 2"plank of timber held onto the pylon by a couple of scaffold poles see 3rd pic....:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well the second pic shows where the explosives will go just before opening.

Mike.

Absolutely amazing pics portlairge... one thought struck me though, looking at that crane: does some poor guy have to actually climb manually all the way up that or is there some sort of lift? Doesn't look like there's space for one...

OMG that was brave of you to climb up that high. ;)

I'd be planking myself, actually I wouldn't even comtemplate it.

Very impressive looking photos.

Will you be climbing back up to the very top when it's fully built?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

portlairge wrote: »
    had the pleasure of a risk visit to the new bridge today:cool:. it is currently ahead od scedule and it is at a height of 70meters with approx another 80meters to go the two pylons will be joined and then go straight up. was up at the top 70meters standing on a 2" plank of timber and it was f***ing scary wind howling and the swaying was scary:eek::eek:. as you look at it in the 1st pic the pylon on the right is been built byitalians and the one on the right by portugese. not an irishman in sight.. it was an experience and we will be visiting again when it is at its full height before the cables go in.. should get some good pics then if ive got the guts to stand nearly 450ft up on a 2"plank of timber held onto the pylon by a couple of scaffold poles see 3rd pic....:D

Great pics - one thing though ' = feet and " = inches

When I first read it it thought you were saying that you were standing on a 2 inch plank:eek::eek:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

tonc76 wrote: »
    When I first read it it thought you were saying that you were standing on a 2 inch plank:eek::eek:

haha so did I :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭portlairge

sorry for the confusion it was a 2" thick plank and it was 2' wide 2 planks side by side, hope that clears it up. they are just general builders planks and scaffold suspended on a moving jig, as the pillars grow the jig moves up very impressive, and yes we hope to get to the top when tey are finished cos if something happens tosomeone up there we are the ones who have to get them down... hopefully nothing like that will happen...

ROFL

OMG I thought you were very brave to be at that height on a 2" piece of wood. I even showed my boys who are impressed by such things who thought you must be a bit of a tightrope walker :D

Can't wait to see the photos when it's completed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Glengooly-Guy

portlairge wrote: »

Just like to know how you got up the pylon or was it someone you know working on the project got you the pics, also you say that bridge construction is ahead of schedule, I've heard otherwise from people involved in the project

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Just like to know how you got up the pylon or was it someone you know working on the project got you the pics, also you say that bridge construction is ahead of schedule, I've heard otherwise from people involved in the project

He is a Waterford Firefighter (IIRC) so I assume they are given training / preperation days on such constructions in case something goes wrong when its built and their assistance is needed. :)

With regards to ahead of schedule, iv heard the comment passed a few times around Boards not from port tho.

• Advertisement
Advertisement