Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Realistic discount on new Honda Accord?

Options
  • 06-02-2008 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭

I've been checking out prices of new Honda Accords in the last few days and am wondering if it would be possible to drive a VERY hard bargain given (i) VRT changes (ii) new model coming soon.

Accord 2.2 iCDTi Exec currently lists at €41635.

With VRT changes in July, this should drop to €36430 (making the big assumption that they reduce the price rather than add extras to prop up the price).

Factor in lower road tax over four years (a difference of €2148) and, due to tax changes alone, it doesn't seem to be financially viable to buy the car for more than €34282.

This is beside the fact that a completely new model is due in the summer, surely worth a few grand off as well.

So, what chance do I have for getting the car for about €32K?! Very little I would imagine! Maybe quarter end might be a better time to push (I would imagine they're selling SFA Accords at the moment)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

I don't see this happening unfortunately. It should work that way. The story i got from EP mooney was that 'because honda already sells cars in ireland cheaper than anywhere in eu. Even british people come here to buy them and bring them over the border back cause they dont have to worry about the vrt it means that honda will probably put up the base metal price in line iwth other eu countrys so whiel there will be a price drop it will not be a big one.'
    Read another way... honda will be raising prices and profiting from the vrt reduction. That said this was from a sales person on the floor. It does not hold much truth IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I don't see this happening unfortunately. It should work that way. The story i got from EP mooney was that 'because honda already sells cars in ireland cheaper than anywhere in eu. Even british people come here to buy them and bring them over the border back cause they dont have to worry about the vrt it means that honda will probably put up the base metal price in line iwth other eu countrys so whiel there will be a price drop it will not be a big one.'
    Read another way... honda will be raising prices and profiting from the vrt reduction. That said this was from a sales person on the floor. It does not hold much truth IMHO.

About what I'd expect TBH. I might call in to my local Honda and ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

I've been checking out prices of new Honda Accords in the last few days and am wondering if it would be possible to drive a VERY hard bargain given (i) VRT changes (ii) new model coming soon.

With VRT changes in July, this should drop to €36430 (making the big assumption that they reduce the price rather than add extras to prop up the price).

Factor in lower road tax over four years (a difference of €2148) and, due to tax changes alone, it doesn't seem to be financially viable to buy the car for more than €34282.

This is beside the fact that a completely new model is due in the summer, surely worth a few grand off as well.

So, what chance do I have for getting the car for about €32K?! Very little I would imagine! Maybe quarter end might be a better time to push (I would imagine they're selling SFA Accords at the moment)?

Go to the uk and you'll get a very tasty car in for 32k.
    feck the car dealing cartell here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

#

the normal price for the diesel exec accord was 43 and a bit, honda recently reduced the price on them to help move them on..

there is a new model due this year in the accord, and also if you buy one now (the old model) on the old road tax system then it will drop in value by a lot, in terms of
    1. the new model
    2. the old tax on the car

better to hold out!! get cheaper road tax, a new model car, with a newer cleaner diesel engine than the current accord diesel..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

what_car wrote: »
    #

the normal price for the diesel exec accord was 43 and a bit, honda recently reduced the price on them to help move them on..

there is a new model due this year in the accord, and also if you buy one now (the old model) on the old road tax system then it will drop in value by a lot, in terms of
    1. the new model
    2. the old tax on the car

better to hold out!! get cheaper road tax, a new model car, with a newer cleaner diesel engine than the current accord diesel..
    That's exactly my point! If I could get a serious discount which takes all this into account, I'd probably buy now (when they are presumably selling very few). If not, I realistically won't be able to afford the new model unless they pass on the VRT changes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

That's exactly my point! If I could get a serious discount which takes all this into account, I'd probably buy now (when they are presumably selling very few). If not, I realistically won't be able to afford the new model unless they pass on the VRT changes.

This almost definitely won't work. At it's simplest (and this is open to debate, of course), the price of the car isn't changing, only the registration tax on the car is changing. Just because the government aren't collecting as much revenue from this car doesn't affect the margin the dealer/importer are working on.

If you were selling me a set of alloy wheels for €500+vat and we knew that the rate of vat was dropping to half the current rate next January, would (or could you) drop your price? Probably not.

You will get additional discount if the dealer is trying to get rid of stock they're holding before the new regime sets in, or because the dealer is behind on their targets, or because Honda grant the dealer extra discount so as to maintain their market share.
    That's dependent on the situation and it's not a large amount of money. Believing that a dealer can give you €10,000 discount implies that you currently believe the dealer is making €10,000 profit on each car.

Trust me, they're not!

Asking a dealer to sell you a car for 25% discount just because the government is changing their tax system in the future is unrealistic.

Advertisement