Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

"I dont give warranties"

Options
  • 06-02-2008 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

Thinking of trading up a few years and i rang a garage and i was chatting away no problems i asked about the warranty he said he was a wholesaler and he doesnt give warrantys. The price of the car to be honest does reflect this as it is a 1000 euro cheaper than others out there.

Mate of mine says by law he has to, any dealership selling second hand cars must give a warranty.

Just want to know if/what the laws says about it.

thanks for looking
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

See:

http://www.nca.ie/eng/Media_Zone/Press%20Releases/New_guide_to_buying_a_car.html

Gives a quick rundown. In general no warranty means no warranty. But if the dealer knows something is wrong he has to tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭mjquinno

thanks for that ill have a read of that over lunch
    - m

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Any seller can say "sold as seen". As far as I know it's covered under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

mjquinno wrote: »
    *apology meant warranties in the heading*
    You can edit the heading, go to advanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ballooba wrote: »
    Any seller can say "sold as seen". As far as I know it's covered under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act.

Isn't there still a get out for the customer if the product is unfit for the purpose for which it was sold, disclaimers or not?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Buying from a dealer rather than a private sale means that your basic consumer rights will still apply - goods must be as described, fir for purpose, etc. Sold as seen on a car though means there are probably hidden nasties and you're taking a gamble. Does he warranty any of his cars? Are they the sort of cars you would expect to carry a warranty? Would they still have a manufacturers warranty on them?

You can edit the heading, go to advanced.
    sound thanks
    Buying from a dealer rather than a private sale means that your basic consumer rights will still apply - goods must be as described, fir for purpose, etc. Sold as seen on a car though means there are probably hidden nasties and you're taking a gamble. Does he warranty any of his cars? Are they the sort of cars you would expect to carry a warranty? Would they still have a manufacturers warranty on them?

i got the feeling he doesnt warranty any of his cars
    the manafacturing warranty would be out now it a 02

He said you can bring any mechanic and see it he doesnt mind and its just gone for NCT and passed - january

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

MYOB wrote: »
    Isn't there still a get out for the customer if the product is unfit for the purpose for which it was sold, disclaimers or not?
    Actually, it looks like Sold As Seen is not covered under the UK act is actually illegal to state because it limits the rights of the consumer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

sound thanks

i got the feeling he doesnt warranty any of his cars
    the manafacturing warranty would be out now it a 02

He said you can bring any mechanic and see it he doesnt mind and its just gone for NCT and passed - january

I bought mine same way last June.Guy selling was totally up front said i'd have to do the timing belt and water pump. After i took it home i found minor faults. To be honest in the long run i was better off buying it that way,the timing belt and the other bits of work cost me about 1000e but the deal i got on the car, means if i sell it on now i'd make about 2-3k on it.

most warrantys on second hand cars only last 2-3months and are only on certain things - who's to say it won't breakdown after the 3 months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Just so you know, the price of the thing you're buying also affects the quality you can expect from it.

The fact that he's specifically saying "no warranty" also charging you less than other sellers are charging would probably stand in his favour in law.

The principle of "you get what you pay for" does actually have a standing in consumer/contract law.

• Advertisement

ya ill be wary enough because he said he would take my car as a trade in so it seems like he is just a regular dealer and not just a wholesaler.

Ill look for an excuse to walk away, when i go see it.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Ill look for an excuse to walk away, when i go see it.

Why don't you save yourself and the seller hassle by not going to see it, therefore not making up excuses, instead?

Why don't you save yourself and the seller hassle by not going to see it, therefore not making up excuses, instead?

I think you miss understood me i need to buy a car this one looks great however if i see something I dont like i will walk away. I wont be making up any excuses

If the car actually turns out to be solid thats great ill buy it. thats all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Snake Nose

ballooba wrote: »
    Actually, it looks like Sold As Seen is not covered under the UK act is actually illegal to state because it limits the rights of the consumer.

Great - thanks for that irrelevant info about the law in the UK.

Advertisement